Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 401254 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #425 on: 30 March, 2010, 10:47:07 am »
.... and I now have a pass to enter this event.

Oh dear, what I done?!?!?!?

After 17 days on the trot (so to speak) I've missed a couple of days as I developed a sore heel, caused, I suspect, by lack of stretching. My calves were getting tight to the extent I was walking down stairs sideways first thing in the morning. I poppped down to the local Sweatshop for some advice on Saturday but the only thing the young chap who served me could suggest was to buy some new shoes which as they are a shoeshop was probably not unreasonable but I didn't feel like dropping £85 just then so I didn't. I'll see how things go from hereon. Apart from anything else I need to start alternating running with some cycling if I'm going to do some audax events this year.

« Reply #426 on: 30 March, 2010, 01:55:53 pm »
£85

You could try some Sorbothane heelpads (or similar) for about £8 (rather a lot).
(They didn't get me back into running, but I think they have eased Achilles problems, long term.)

« Reply #427 on: 30 March, 2010, 02:54:21 pm »
Blurgh.

9 minutes of my HR being 190bpm is all I can handle. Must have the remnants of a cold. Only managed 26 minutes. Will do another 15 minutes tomorrow to top myself up, also playing 5-a-side on Thursday.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #428 on: 31 March, 2010, 07:52:45 am »

After 17 days on the trot (so to speak) I've missed a couple of days as I developed a sore heel, caused, I suspect, by lack of stretching. My calves were getting tight to the extent I was walking down stairs sideways first thing in the morning. I poppped down to the local Sweatshop for some advice on Saturday but the only thing the young chap who served me could suggest was to buy some new shoes which as they are a shoeshop was probably not unreasonable but I didn't feel like dropping £85 just then so I didn't. I'll see how things go from hereon. Apart from anything else I need to start alternating running with some cycling if I'm going to do some audax events this year.

Maybe you shouldn't try and run everyday.  Standard advice is always make sure you take your rest days and try to vary your running.  Problem with YACF is too many cyclists and cyclists, audax ones in particular, always have to be different  ::-)

I usually run 4 days a week: at the moment something like 5 miles easy, 5 miles hard(ish), 6 miles off-road hilly and a long run (also off-road hilly at the moment).

Nik
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

« Reply #429 on: 31 March, 2010, 07:58:45 am »
Blurgh.

9 minutes of my HR being 190bpm is all I can handle. Must have the remnants of a cold. Only managed 26 minutes. Will do another 15 minutes tomorrow to top myself up, also playing 5-a-side on Thursday.

I suppose this is what happens when you run on a machine.  Out here in the real world you can just slow down till your breath agrees to stay in your lungs and the need to vomit fades (and some 70 year old woman jogs past you).

« Reply #430 on: 31 March, 2010, 08:19:30 am »
having had damn sore shins the last few times I've run, and having to not run for the past 2 weeks, I finally made it to a physio last night.  Really interesting process, checking flexibility and mobility, seeing how I stand then watching me run round a track.  

Seems I am very flexible 'for a cyclist', but rotate both of my feet over to the left, stand and run with my left foot directly under my body and right foot out to the side slightly,  walk and run with my feet too close together and run 'from the knee rather than from the hip'.  

She recons it comes from having underdeveloped glutes, something Mrs mike thought was hilarious, given the size of my backside..

So lots of arse-building exercises for the next eight weeks :)

Manotea

« Reply #431 on: 01 April, 2010, 11:55:40 pm »

Maybe you shouldn't try and run everyday.  Standard advice is always make sure you take your rest days and try to vary your running.  Problem with YACF is too many cyclists and cyclists, audax ones in particular, always have to be different  ::-)

I usually run 4 days a week: at the moment something like 5 miles easy, 5 miles hard(ish), 6 miles off-road hilly and a long run (also off-road hilly at the moment).

Nik
A wise friend of mine once said the way to avoid injury is not to do the same thing (exercise/sport) two days in a row. Eddie of course had his personal physio, not that he seemed to take much advice!

Anyways its now time to start alternating running,  cycling and a bit of gym work. I really do need to get back on the bike.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #432 on: 02 April, 2010, 09:05:29 am »
She recons it comes from having underdeveloped glutes, something Mrs mike thought was hilarious, given the size of my backside..

The famous underdeveloped medial glutes again!

Medial glutes are the outside part of your arse -- it seems preposterously common for cyclists to have epic, mighty main glutes (they're a power muscle after all) but mimsy weak medial glutes.  After all, we're strapped in, and it doesn't take much power to keep our knees from flapping around.

Running with a slightly wider stance than feels natural will really activate the medial glutes. 

Weak medial glutes, alas, lead to ITB problems and all sorts if you run lots. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #433 on: 02 April, 2010, 01:02:07 pm »

The famous underdeveloped medial glutes again!

Medial glutes are the outside part of your arse -- it seems preposterously common for cyclists to have epic, mighty main glutes (they're a power muscle after all) but mimsy weak medial glutes.  After all, we're strapped in, and it doesn't take much power to keep our knees from flapping around.

Running with a slightly wider stance than feels natural will really activate the medial glutes. 

Weak medial glutes, alas, lead to ITB problems and all sorts if you run lots. 
I think Andy is spot on (well, he certainly agrees with various physios I've used!).

I'm a bit suspect of "Running with a slightly wider stance than feels natural"; sounds like it might cause other problems?

There are simple medial glute floor exercises (if noone finds a link, I'll try describing them!) - I would go for those first. In fact, I would advise them as a once-a-week preventative for all cyclists* (with my 20:20 Hindsight Goggles on).

*If you don't do much weight-bearing exercise - running, ball games etc
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #434 on: 02 April, 2010, 01:05:59 pm »
Interesting, how about these ?

Targeting the Gluteus Medius

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #435 on: 02 April, 2010, 01:09:30 pm »
My physio had me doing #5 lots! 

1-leg squats too.  Hate those.  Hate hate hate THUD.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #436 on: 02 April, 2010, 01:13:20 pm »
Interesting, how about these ?

Targeting the Gluteus Medius

Yup - No2 is the one I can vouch for. No need to strap on a weight unless you're a big guy (I don't think endurance cyclists need a LOT of strength in that muscle).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #437 on: 02 April, 2010, 08:12:32 pm »
Barefoot run is up to 3.5km now.  Getting the hang of a faster turnover and shorter strides thanks to the treadmill work. :thumbsup:

Manotea

« Reply #438 on: 02 April, 2010, 08:22:49 pm »
Round the Richmond Park today, slow as ever, dodging showers and admiring rainbows. I think my right heel problem may well be caused by worn shoes. Time to splash some cash.

« Reply #439 on: 02 April, 2010, 11:25:07 pm »
Barefoot run is up to 3.5km now.  Getting the hang of a faster turnover and shorter strides thanks to the treadmill work. :thumbsup:

Is that barefoot as in just your skin or with those odd shoes with the toes?(VFF?)
I like the idea of being able to run barefoot without my feet hurting. My feet are too pampered and soft though, so I'd need to condition them first. Is that what you did with the funny shoes?
(Yes, I am thinking about getting a pair for myself. I'm a sucker for freak factor and being a bit different to everyone else, plus I think they're cool shoes and if it helps me become able to run barefoot, then even better)

« Reply #440 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:29:30 am »
There is a chap I often see round my end of Oxford running barefoot.  I would say he was a Rastafarian but I'm not sure, he's often to be seen running in some sort of ceremonial gear - sort of leopard skin judo suit with matching flowerpot on head and voodoo stick.  He is a strong, elegant runner and makes quite a sight. 

I've seen him on and off for years but actually bothered to look at his feet the other week and his heals do seem to stop just before touching the ground.

Feet can get pretty tough if you walk barefoot a lot.  I used to go round barefoot a lot in my late teens and don't remember injuring myself.  We would stand at the bus stop on the way to the pub and I'd grind out my fag butt on the tarmac with bare feet - it'd get some great looks from the old dears.  God I was an obnoxious git!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #441 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:40:14 am »
It's with the funky toe-shoes.  Between the glass-and-poo protection and the thin non-padded skin, think of them as 'fearless feet' and you're about right.

Gonna do some triathlon in them this year.  Transition could be hilarious.

« Reply #442 on: 03 April, 2010, 03:42:23 pm »
I ran did Compton Challenge 20 today, 670 metres climbing in some very mixed terrain.  I was rather trepidatious about it as it rather hurt last year and this year there was the threat of heavy rain and wind to spice it up.  Target was 3hr 40m (yes I know that's slow but it's hilly and I'm feeble) and plan was to follow the example of my betters and walk the hills so I didn't end up walking the flat bits later.

1st mile was so muddy the woods turned into a bottle neck and most of us had to walk a bit while the gunge ouzed into our shoes.  Spent much of the first 10 miles running with VR ultra runner Anna Finn who was doing the 40 mile version which was a special run for her as it qualified her for the 100 Marathon Club, she'd done the 99th just yesterday.  Apparently the 100 MC are a bit like AUK and if she didn't do the whole 40 miles in the time limit it didn't count, no dropping out at 39 miles.  Various ultra tips from Anna and others: if you walk a hill start running again before the top; the secret of being able to run further is to run all the time (could have worked that out for myself); don't just ignore the pain in your legs, ignore the legs altogether etc.

I reached the bottom of the biggest hill at 10 miles with a few minutes in the bank, this being the off-road version of Streatley Hill, and walked it alternating walking forwards and walking backwards which spared my muscles enough for me to just take the brakes off and go with the flow down the long descent which followed.  Mile and half drag up to the 16 mile checkpoint was the nearest thing to a bad spot for me but a couple of orange squashes and a banana and I kept myself going for the last few miles along the Ridgeway by reminding myself how crap I'd felt at this stage last year.

Finished in something like 3:36 still smiling and was chuffed to find the finish goody was a proper running shirt rather than yet another T-shirt which made the £15 entry worthwhile (there was a free meal as well but I can't eat straight after running).  Great run, well organised, highly recommended, doesn't really hurt at all, not a drop of rain in the end (and they don't charge any more for the 40 miler).

Nik

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #443 on: 03 April, 2010, 03:51:09 pm »
Cracking stuff Nik!

(I rode round to Goring at lunchtime - if I'd known I'd have headed to the Hendreds instead.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #444 on: 04 April, 2010, 07:12:29 am »
Cracking stuff Nik!

(I rode round to Goring at lunchtime - if I'd known I'd have headed to the Hendreds instead.)

Thanks Matt - maybe you were that black dot in Goring on the other side of the Thames way below about 11:30 - some excellent views from Lough Down up there by the golf course.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #445 on: 05 April, 2010, 09:58:01 am »
Cracking stuff Nik.

Entry posted for the Doddle.

H

« Reply #446 on: 05 April, 2010, 10:57:01 pm »
Well done NikW. 

Good advice of the week must be "ignore the legs altogether"   ;D
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Manotea

« Reply #447 on: 06 April, 2010, 10:35:14 pm »
Another run round my 11km circuit 'along the Thames with Ms Manotea the Elder trying to keep up on her bike. My gait is vaguely starting to resemble 'running'. Encouraging...

« Reply #448 on: 06 April, 2010, 10:57:09 pm »
Run up my local hill this afternoon in pretty foul conditions - most snow has gone leaving everywhere very very wet plus wind and driving rain on the tops was quite unpleasant.

Some lambs appearing, but also found two dead sheep who had sheltered by a wall and got buried by the snow - farmer reckoned he'd lost (as in couldn't find) 300 sheep and the bull (!) last week.

Very lethargic at start but after 20 mins felt OK and got better thro' the run, tho' a touch of cramp in left calf still bothering me.  Knackered now, but so pleased to have got out.

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Manotea

« Reply #449 on: 10 April, 2010, 12:24:25 pm »
Scored a new pair of shoes on eBay (£30 against £85 at Sweatshop!) and my heel feels fine after yesterdays run. Whilst the tread on my old shoes was a bit worn the difference is only a couple of mm, and  the sole/heel cushioning feels much the same. Maybe its not the shoes and I'm just getting a bit lighter/fitter. One can hope.