Author Topic: Vorsprung's Commuter Bike Build in Progress  (Read 6286 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Vorsprung's Commuter Bike Build in Progress HELP
« Reply #25 on: 08 January, 2010, 02:39:03 pm »
update

I have the drill bit and should be going over my bro in laws tomorrow, roads permitting
I also have a 75mm M6 bolt for the front mudguard/dyno light

So I am winning and with a fair wind I might even be using the bike on monday

Hopefully I will ride to the pub and see IanH on it next weds

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Vorsprung's Commuter Bike Build in Progress
« Reply #26 on: 10 January, 2010, 03:28:29 pm »
Bah

I rode a dicey 5 miles to my bro in laws house through the slush.  You couldn't get a car up there so I biked and walked
But the 24mm HSS drill doesn't fit in his drill.  I need a "Morse 2" taper for his drill and the one I have is too big.
I'll phone up the drill company on monday and see what gives

« Reply #27 on: 10 January, 2010, 03:37:13 pm »
Come on, despite assurances I'm keen to know whether the drilling out works, patience is not a virtue I subscribe to ;D
Nuns, no sense of humour

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #28 on: 12 January, 2010, 01:02:32 pm »
Come on, despite assurances I'm keen to know whether the drilling out works

Me too, so I just bought an MT2 to MT3 adapter so when that arrives hopefully the drill will fit in the machine
Bro-in-law is concerned that it will be difficult to stop the drill bit grabbing the sides of he hole and wazzing it about so I might have to think about how I will clamp it in place

deliquium

« Reply #29 on: 12 January, 2010, 01:08:15 pm »
How about using an adjustable diameter hand operated seat post reamer? I am going to try this myself one day this week. I'm hoping they go down to a small enough diameter?

« Reply #30 on: 12 January, 2010, 01:41:33 pm »
Come on, despite assurances I'm keen to know whether the drilling out works

Me too, so I just bought an MT2 to MT3 adapter so when that arrives hopefully the drill will fit in the machine
Bro-in-law is concerned that it will be difficult to stop the drill bit grabbing the sides of he hole and wazzing it about so I might have to think about how I will clamp it in place

Ok ta, just remember your audience is waiting ::-)
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #31 on: 12 January, 2010, 02:13:43 pm »
Just a though but, if drilling out doesn't work, is it possible to convert to an open bracket style via hacksaw, drill and jubliee clip? Cut away 75% of the clamp, drill a slot on either side of the remainder and thread through a jubilee clip. Benefit would be ease of removal rather than having to untap bars etc.
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #32 on: 12 January, 2010, 08:50:00 pm »
Little attempt at a bodge of mine for repositioning of a twist shifter, should work on any bar in any position:-

Twist Shifter fitting Extension - a set on Flickr

If it's a fail it's only 30 minutes of my time and the price of a jubilee clip. As I have it in the piccie I would fit the shifter facing down towards the bar, I reckon I can cope with the number display being upside down ;D It could also be done withouth the flaps and just filing/drilling a groove in the end of the bit of bar. Then you could cut the slots higher up for greater strength, but I thought it wouldn't grip so well that way round.
Nuns, no sense of humour

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #33 on: 18 January, 2010, 09:59:39 am »
ok i tried drilling out the "brifter" shifter to 24mm so it would fit on road bars

This didn't work.  The shifter is an odd shape and part of it is plastic.  Clamping it securely under the drill proved impossible.  The 24mm HSS drill bit grabbed the sides of the 22mm hole with a lot of force and flung the part out.

So I tried the filing out method.  This was surprisingly quick and easy.  After about an hour the shifter was on the bike.

The bike still isn't on the road.  I need to retape the bars, make sure the brakes route ok, run the cable housing for the gears to the back of the bike, get the chain to the right length, cut the gear cable housing and gear cable, set up the gears, transfer the saddle, light, SQR block and front wheel from the old bike

But optimistically it might be going to the pub wednesday night  ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #34 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:33:22 am »

But optimistically it might be going to the pub wednesday night  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'll bring the first-aid kit.

« Reply #35 on: 18 January, 2010, 02:40:36 pm »
what did you use for filing it out?
Nuns, no sense of humour

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #36 on: 18 January, 2010, 02:51:08 pm »

A round file, approx 15mm diameter, seemed quite coarse for a metal file

If I did this again and spent money on tools to make it easier ( instead of what I did, spend money on tools for no gain at all ) then an adjustable H11 reamer would be of the list

« Reply #37 on: 18 January, 2010, 03:58:40 pm »

A round file, approx 15mm diameter, seemed quite coarse for a metal file

If I did this again and spent money on tools to make it easier ( instead of what I did, spend money on tools for no gain at all ) then an adjustable H11 reamer would be of the list

thanks V, I'll have a look, did think about one of those sort of flappy dremel bits as well. My original temptation, to use the side of a large drill bit like a file, is probably going to suffer the same sort of clamping issues you did.
Nuns, no sense of humour

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #38 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:56:40 am »
I just rode the new bike to work

Photos here

Note: BMX chains look beautiful but 98 links won't stretch around a 45x20.  Luckiily I found an old 8 speed chain in the garage