Author Topic: Vorsprung's Commuter Bike Build in Progress  (Read 6243 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Vorsprung's Commuter Bike Build in Progress
« on: 21 December, 2009, 10:39:53 am »
Stuff still to do
  • Although the hub fits nicely in the dropouts (Alfine is 135 and Roadrat is 132.5 but it all works fine) the Alfine fitting kit has the wrong "non turn washers" for a horizontal rear facing dropout.  So I'm waiting for these parts to arrive from Germany.  1.50 euro part, 6 euros postage
  • The gear cable is plenty long enough but fitting it onto the gear cable guides already on the frame will be challenging.  The Alfine cable is in a single continuous housing.  Normal road cables like to stop off for a teaparty at the down tube adjusters
  • The front light needs to be fitted.  I think I will break with my usual habit and fit the IQ Fly on the fork crown
  • The mudguards are 50mm wide Stronglight ones from Spa.  They have strange plastic bolts to attach the stays to the guards.  I got them rather than SKS as Spa didn't have any really wide ones in stock.   On the plus side  Spa said when I ordered them that the Strong light ones were "like SKS but thicker and heavier"  and this does seem to be the case.  They were also a bit cheaper.  Put on the rear one for size the other day.  Need to faff about with safety clips on the rear and hacksaw the stays to a better length
  • Transfer SQR block, front wheel, IQ Fly and B17 from old bike.  The old bike is being retired.
  • The brake cables will need trimming to length and anti fray caps fitting

I was hoping to bring news of my new bike being finished before xmas but it's not to be

At present the following stuff is done

• Alfine rear wheel built, marathon+ on it.  36h weights about a metric ton.  I should actually weigh it for a laugh.
  • Cotic Roadrat, built up with road kit but minus the wheels is in my garage.  I bought it all built up from Mr.Cotic, all I had to do was fit the seatpost and attach the stem.  So headset/bb/cranks/brakes all AOK.  It is wonderously shiney and black.
  • Front wheel has been in use on my old bike for a couple of weeks
  • Pedals installed on new bike

OH DEAR
bit of a problem
The alfine shifter will only fit on 22.2mm diameter handle bars
So I will have to either
1) get a jtek bar end shifter, price 60 quid.  I don't think I have the budget for this.  Not sure if they are currently available either
2) get a minoura space grip or similar and mount like this
 Do space grip users think this will work?????

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Vorsprung's Commuter Bike Build in Progress HELP
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2009, 02:20:07 pm »
**BUMP**

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2009, 02:28:58 pm »
Well, that looks like it will be close enough to your hand to get in the way when you're on the hoods, yet not close enough to change easily :-\

Personally, I am hoping for a magical solution for how to fit a twistgrip designed for straight bars onto the end of bullhorns.  I imagine some tapered tubing, fixing wedge & woofle dust might help... :-\
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2009, 04:05:15 pm »
Well, that solves my problem, thanks :)

But I'm not sure it helps vorsprung
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2009, 04:54:30 pm »
Hub gear STI's?

Versa VRS-8 integrated drop bar levers

Not sure on price or availibility but look like a damn good idea

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 23 December, 2009, 04:57:54 pm »
Not convinced by those, and if the bar end shifters are beyond budget, then I'm afraid these levers must be, too.
Getting there...

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 23 December, 2009, 05:11:43 pm »
I reckon you could get the clamp of the flat bar Alfine STI unit drilled out to 24mm fairly easily - then it would at lest clamp on to road bars.  Not sure it'd go round the bends of a drop bar though.

« Reply #8 on: 23 December, 2009, 05:26:43 pm »
I reckon you could get the clamp of the flat bar Alfine STI unit drilled out to 24mm fairly easily - then it would at lest clamp on to road bars.  Not sure it'd go round the bends of a drop bar though.

This would be my option and it would definitely go around the bends in the bars once drilled out, despite popular opinion. On my Flikr account you can see that I've managed to get brake levers and shifter pods all the way round the bends in butterfly bars. I found it surprisingly easy after trying during an idle moment, just needs a bit of waggling.

Flickr: MacBludgeon's Photostream

Out of curiosity does anyone know the reason, if there is one, for the different bar diameters, road to MTB?
Nuns, no sense of humour

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 23 December, 2009, 06:07:10 pm »
Hub gear STI's?

Versa VRS-8 integrated drop bar levers

Not sure on price or availibility but look like a damn good idea

I believe if they were available they would be circa 180 quid
They do not pull the correct amount of cable for V brakes
They don't seem to be available at the moment.  There was a initial production run last year but it seems to have sold out

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 23 December, 2009, 06:13:00 pm »

Yes I think that is possible too.  The metal around the shifter clamp seems quite thick. I will discuss it with my mechanically inclined brother in law over xmas.  Would I need a 24mm giant metal drill like this?

Buy Halls MC 5m High Speed Steel Step Drill 6mm To 24mm, Metric Step Drills from Tool-Up UK

I have access to a couple of bench drills with a platform and a lever to lower the drill bit etc

Chris N

« Reply #11 on: 23 December, 2009, 06:33:29 pm »
That'd probably work.  Won't be pretty, but ok.  You could file it out if you're careful - it's only 1mm off all round.

« Reply #12 on: 23 December, 2009, 06:36:26 pm »
I would just use a vice, my regular drill and the correct size drill bit, it is quite a small amount to be taken out. You could even do it by using a 22mm drill bit and waggling it round a bit. The clamp has a bit of give as well.
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #13 on: 25 December, 2009, 12:30:58 am »
Room to replace some spacers with one of these?

Thorn Accessory Bar T Shaped 105 mm Extension

Zoidburg

« Reply #14 on: 25 December, 2009, 03:01:23 am »
If its an ally clamp I would just use a step drill to ream it out. Pillar drill and a huge hss bit is overkill.

« Reply #15 on: 30 December, 2009, 08:37:00 am »
Thought you might like  to see Civia's take on a similar idea

EcoVelo  » Blog Archive   » First Look: 2010 Civia Bryant

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 30 December, 2009, 10:18:31 pm »
That is a well thought out machine.
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: 31 December, 2009, 03:04:45 am »

Yes, had a good read of the site and also visited the belt drive manufacturers site. As I'd want gears, the let down for me would be the hassle removing the wheel with the Shimano hub gear offerings. Though the Gates Carbon Drive site indicates that SRAM and Rohloff compatible options will be coming along. With the additional weight savings it would make a hub gear build much closer to a derailler setup. They claim a belt should last 8k miles but I can't see prices for the system, or replacement parts, anywhere. Would also like to see some better shifter options from SRAM and Rohloff.

I suppose the big show stopper is the need to break the rear triangle for installation/replacement of the belt. Though I don't see that it would be an impossible modification to an existing steel frame. Just a case of putting in a break and join somewhere.  The Civia method of using a replaceable dropout to hold together the seat and chainstay seems pretty solid.
Nuns, no sense of humour

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #18 on: 31 December, 2009, 12:48:20 pm »
If its an ally clamp I would just use a step drill to ream it out. Pillar drill and a huge hss bit is overkill.

I don't have a step drill and a cheap HSS is cheaper

« Reply #19 on: 31 December, 2009, 04:16:32 pm »
25mm is big for a cheap drill bit. I'd offer to see what I've got in the tool boxes, but I'm away until next week.

« Reply #20 on: 31 December, 2009, 05:23:39 pm »

I suppose the big show stopper is the need to break the rear triangle for installation/replacement of the belt. Though I don't see that it would be an impossible modification to an existing steel frame. Just a case of putting in a break and join somewhere. 

EcoVelo  » Blog Archive   » Gallery: Morgan Patton’s Handmade Belt-Drive Commuter

^ uses an S&S coupler.

« Reply #21 on: 31 December, 2009, 05:35:11 pm »

I suppose the big show stopper is the need to break the rear triangle for installation/replacement of the belt. Though I don't see that it would be an impossible modification to an existing steel frame. Just a case of putting in a break and join somewhere. 

EcoVelo  » Blog Archive   » Gallery: Morgan Patton’s Handmade Belt-Drive Commuter

^ uses an S&S coupler.

that looks really good, I was also toying with the bike builder bit on Van Nicholas as they offer the Amazon Rohloff with the Gates belt drive. Price is a bit eye watering but overall bike weight including guards, rack, son dynamo, 35mm tyres etc comes in at 22-23lbs. I wouldn't want their standard build as I want double eyeleted rims, better tyres etc but that would be some commuting machine ;D
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #22 on: 31 December, 2009, 06:14:19 pm »
As to fitting the gear lever onto dropped bars, it's quite easy actually. I have been using a mountain bike type 9 speed lever on the tops of my main Audax bike,which has dropped bars, for the last 7 years.

All you need is a power drill and the right size flapwheel to open up the diameter of the clip which fits onto the bars.

Just clamp the changing unit firmly in a vise and just work the flapwheel around inside the clip until it fits. Try it for size regularly and ensure that you work mainly on the thickest part of the clamp so that you don't weaken it too much. Also, try and keep the 'hole' as round as possible.

The clamp is only made of aluminium. So it won't take too long to remove the excess metal.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #23 on: 31 December, 2009, 11:13:57 pm »

Agreed.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #24 on: 02 January, 2010, 01:40:30 pm »
As to fitting the gear lever onto dropped bars, it's quite easy actually. I have been using a mountain bike type 9 speed lever on the tops of my main Audax bike,which has dropped bars, for the last 7 years.

Thanks for this, it's quite encouraging that it works for you