Author Topic: Bob Jackson Vigorelli - Paint  (Read 8150 times)

dat

Bob Jackson Vigorelli - Paint
« on: 09 November, 2018, 02:32:39 pm »
I've just put my deposit down for a Bob Jackson Vigorelli I now have a week or so to choose the paint.

Frame wise it's a standard Vigorelli with a pair of brakes, mudguards eyelets and I've got them agreeing to using the "b25" flat fork crown http://www.framebuilding.com/NEWPARTSPAGES/Cast%20Fork%20Crowns.htm

It's being built up with silver components mainly Dura-ace track and nitto parts. I'm talking to Mike about building me a set of wheels, DA hubs with either Open Pro or TB14 rims.

The hard part is the paint, it will have no tubing decal (being built with 631/725 mix) and will need lug lining. I'm leaning towards purple or blue but I'm open to any suggestions.

dat

Re: Bob Jackson Vigorelli - Paint
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2018, 02:36:54 pm »
This is rather nice.

« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2018, 02:48:30 pm »
I have always liked the look of the Richard Sachs frames.  So I would be looking there for inspiration. 

I agree though, the one you have pictured is very pretty .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2018, 02:48:54 pm »
I had a sort plum coloured frame with chrome stays. Looked amazing. Deep flamboyant burgundy is always nice.

Curious about your choice of DA hubs. Not the most well sealed...hence not a common choice on UK roads.

« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2018, 02:53:23 pm »
This is rather nice.

Hi DaT. Is the paint a Poly-chromatic Finish with Pearl White ?

I am running Mavic Aksium Race on Mavic Aksium Cartridge Hubs with bladed spokes om both of my bikes - one is a Steve Goff in Poly-chromatic Blue with chromed forks and the other is a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu Carbon Flat-bar Hybrid.

I had Open Pro on my last Bianchi and they suffered with spoke eyelet corrosion that could not be arrested as it had extended into the rims - my bikes were always cleaned down/dried off if ever I was caught out in the rain but it still was a blight.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

dat

« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2018, 02:54:15 pm »

dat

« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2018, 02:55:46 pm »
I had a sort plum coloured frame with chrome stays. Looked amazing. Deep flamboyant burgundy is always nice.

Curious about your choice of DA hubs. Not the most well sealed...hence not a common choice on UK roads.
I got the hubs new for £100. I don't have huge amounts of time to go out on the bike so as long as I keep up with maintenance I'll hopefully be OK.

dat

« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:29:18 pm »
Maybe metallic purple, white decal on downtube, no lug lining. Silver components, black saddle, tape and tyres.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:57:48 pm »
Traditionally, BJs are white pearl with red lining.

I like flams; nothing looks bad in them.  I avoid dark colours for sportier bikes as they look heavy - they're good on tourers.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:58:40 pm »
Quote from: ACyclingRooster link=topic=110

Hi DaT. Is the paint a Poly-chromatic Finish with Pearl White ?

For contrasting headtube and seat post bands I think I actually prefer plain white enamel
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #10 on: 09 November, 2018, 04:01:12 pm »

I like flams; nothing looks bad in them.  I avoid dark colours for sportier bikes as they look heavy - they're good on tourers.

I agree, my Hewitt Cheviot SE is a very dark green flamboyant, but am thinking of turquoise pearl with white panels for the Mercian Strada Speciale road bike frame I have on order, with white panels, headtube and lug lining

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 09 November, 2018, 06:37:55 pm »
I thought Vigorellis had to be Oxford Blue. It's the law or an old charter or something.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

dat

« Reply #12 on: 09 November, 2018, 06:42:19 pm »
Is there anything like the old Mercian bike creator still around so I can play with colours?

« Reply #13 on: 09 November, 2018, 08:18:11 pm »
Is there anything like the old Mercian bike creator still around so I can play with colours?

I wish :-(

« Reply #14 on: 09 November, 2018, 08:25:21 pm »

I agree, my Hewitt Cheviot SE is a very dark green flamboyant, but am thinking of turquoise pearl with white panels for the Mercian Strada Speciale road bike frame I have on order, with white panels, headtube and lug lining

This Jack Taylor Mondrian restoration job Mercian inspired me, though will omit the white double box lining, will go for white lug-lining instead of light blue, and thin gold bands seperating the white panels from the turquoise, instead of the champ bands:

[click to expand]

Perhaps nearer to this, for the frame anyway - for me the tricky bit will be finding enough space for a second water bottle on the seat tube with that design, as my frame will only be 53cm c-t. Might put the Reynolds 853 PT transfer on the bottom of the down tube instead of the top of the seat tube, perhaps, might all be bit crowded otherwise:

dat

« Reply #15 on: 09 November, 2018, 09:01:17 pm »
I'm thinking metallic purple, black decals and maybe black lug lining. Two decals only one on the down tube (Bob Jackson) and a crest on the head. Components would be silver with black rims/tyres saddle and tape to pick up the black notes on the frame.

It sounds good in my head but I can't find a bike like it... :(

« Reply #16 on: 09 November, 2018, 11:00:04 pm »
I bought a nice handbuilt frameset years ago in a colour I wasn't quite sure about.  It was (at least this is the closest match I have found) a colour called 'Ford Purple Velvet'.

I guess I am used to it now or something, maybe I even like it....   Anyway it has white decals on it, and I would say that with most shades of purple, black decals would pretty much be lost on it.

Found pics of bikes similar to your plan;

maybe it was a standard Bridgestone colour scheme?

white decals do stand out better...?

cheers

« Reply #17 on: 10 November, 2018, 07:03:00 am »
In my view track bikes and road bikes have a different aesthetic. Road bikes are inherently “ fussy” whereas track bikes are more “ pure”

In that what you are getting from Bob Jackson is what we used to call a “ road/ track” bike I guess you could go either way.

If it was me, I’d be going to replicate the classic white based finish that Ian Hallam had when he was riding Jackson.

dat

« Reply #18 on: 10 November, 2018, 07:57:16 am »
I think it is either going to be

Metallic blue, white decals, white lug lining.

Metallic dark purple, white decals, no lug lining.

Metallic dark purple, white decals, white lug lining, white barber pole, white head tube.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 10 November, 2018, 08:07:33 am »
Flam blue.  Theirs is good.  My old Fuji Track was sprayed by BJ.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

dat

« Reply #20 on: 10 November, 2018, 08:21:45 am »
How about this? The owner says it's black and grigio, looks blue. I could always get it in wordperfect blue.
Found the old colour pictures from BJ's website.
http://cosmico.jp/order/colors

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21 on: 10 November, 2018, 08:51:56 am »
Purple Velvet was a 1970s colour on MkIII Tina's. It's a good bit darker than Brucey's pic. It was also used on the Viking Vision. There's one in Redshift's shed.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Samuel D

« Reply #22 on: 10 November, 2018, 08:56:38 am »
How about this? The owner says it's black and grigio, looks blue. I could always get it in wordperfect blue.
Found the old colour pictures from BJ's website.
http://cosmico.jp/order/colors

Be aware that those images of the paint colours do not have colour profiles tagged in the JPEGs. Therefore they are meaningless even in a colour-managed browser. Perhaps that is why the Bob Jackson website no longer presents them.

If you have to use them anyway, the least risky way is probably to download the JPEGs and assign sRGB profiles to them in an image editor.

« Reply #23 on: 10 November, 2018, 09:45:12 am »
Purple Velvet was a 1970s colour on MkIII Tina's. It's a good bit darker than Brucey's pic.....

depends on which shade you use....?

;D

cheers

« Reply #24 on: 10 November, 2018, 10:38:28 am »
I rather like this purple and white De Rosa:

[click to expand]