Author Topic: Paralympics  (Read 26840 times)

Re: Paralympics
« Reply #50 on: 29 August, 2012, 01:08:00 pm »
We didn't see the torch relay - it managed to be 2 hours behind schedule only 2 hours into it's route  :-\  Not that there was much to see according to a colleague who did stay up to 1am. Police outriders chatting to the kids, then a minibus, 6 torchbearers and another minibus.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #51 on: 29 August, 2012, 01:45:24 pm »
Sounded familiar. Just been to a meeting where the chair had hoped to see it before coming to work, but she had to ditch as it was 1.5 hours late. Hope it makes the stadium on time  :o
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #52 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:17:08 am »
Well, caught the last half of the Engalnd vs Germany basketball last evening. Fantastis - much more exciting IMO than the "real" thing. Shame we lost!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #53 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:45:44 am »
HK was in the crowd at a couple of wheelchair basketball matches. She preferred it to the real thing too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #54 on: 31 August, 2012, 09:39:24 am »
At St Pancras Interminable, having been quaked oddly for the Javelin, off to Athletics, then track cycling.

Very excited!

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #55 on: 31 August, 2012, 10:54:08 am »
Miss Emily and I were at the afternoon session of the Track Cycling yesterday :D

This was the first time that either of us had been inside a velodrome, or even watched track cycling live. It is jolly good fun! The noise in there was amazing and I found that the commentators did a very good job of explaining what the different categories meant.

The noise of the cheering when Sarah Storey won gold was such that I wished for earplugs!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #56 on: 31 August, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »
An inspiring morning of athletics and now we are in the velodrome currently on  the Final of the men's C4-5  1km time trial. four medal sessions altogether. Exciting!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #57 on: 31 August, 2012, 03:29:59 pm »
Drama in the velodrome. Equipment wasn't faulty. Rider error. Cundy doesnt ride.  :(

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #58 on: 31 August, 2012, 03:56:00 pm »
Shouting, fingers to the commissaries, sitting on the floor, more shouting, throwing a bidon. All very dramatic. Then he made a move for the commissaries box and was barged out of the way and down the steps to the basement, media in hot pursuit.

All very sad.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #59 on: 31 August, 2012, 04:00:01 pm »
Almost forgot. We got a gold. In a 117dB melee.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #60 on: 31 August, 2012, 04:27:30 pm »
I caused a change for the better!  :D I had a window open on my monitor with the BBC live text commentary so I could check it now and again, but it was really confusing because the header for each update just said "Paralympics." So I tweeted them and asked them to clarify which sport each update was talking about, and now they are.  :D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #61 on: 31 August, 2012, 04:52:48 pm »
Drama in the velodrome. Equipment wasn't faulty. Rider error. Cundy doesnt ride.  :(

Just watched this - I cannot begin to imagine the scale of Jody Cundy's disappointment  :(

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #62 on: 31 August, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »
And Jody Cundy comes back and makes a heartfelt apology for his language and behaviour. He hopes the 'suits' had their hands over their ears when he was shouting.

He says he'll be back tomorrow for the 4k pursuit. Gets a huge cheer from the crowd.

« Reply #63 on: 31 August, 2012, 07:19:16 pm »
What an awesome day!
Thanks for the updates, Jaded.

gordon taylor

« Reply #64 on: 01 September, 2012, 10:04:27 am »
On the Javelin train right now, heading for the Olympic Park. The train is busy and everyone seems excited! Yippee!

gordon taylor

« Reply #65 on: 01 September, 2012, 01:05:33 pm »
So far, for my ten pound day pass, I've watched seven a side football and wheelchair tennis. Both have nearly moved me tears... I've never before seen a football referee stop to tie the laces of one of the players. The park is lovely, I'm now listening to live music at the bandstand surrounded by families with picnics.soon to meet Ham and go to the velodrome. Awesome!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #66 on: 01 September, 2012, 01:33:52 pm »
Ah, Gordy, we might meet.

Seen 7 a side football, Paralympics GB in Goalball, been up the Orbit and now watching a GB player in wheelchair tennis.

All for £10, as Gordy says. Oh, apart from the Orbit.

red marley

« Reply #67 on: 01 September, 2012, 01:45:47 pm »
We're at the velodrome too, right by the back straight start line in row 2. GB top with 398 and YACF water bottle.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #68 on: 01 September, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »
Woo, YACF bidonville galore. We had three in tHe velodrome yesterday and have them with us at  the wheelchair tennins. Might have to do an ambush marketing photo.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #69 on: 01 September, 2012, 05:22:51 pm »
I was starting to get jealous of you lot watching it in the flesh ...

but then C4 selected Jo Rowsell (with wig) for the punditry chair. Wow.

Anyhoo ...
This is the first time I've watched the basketball. despite GB getting thrashed it was good stuff - seems to work even better than 'regular' basketball as a spectator sport. I wonder how the "Rugby" will compare ...

Will C4 show any of the sat-down volleyball? That sounds hugely entertaining, and a good one for allowing lots of categories to compete together.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #70 on: 01 September, 2012, 08:26:40 pm »
Did anyone see Ellie Simmonds' highly emotional post-swim interview after winning gold again and breaking the WR? She was in floods of tears and talking really fast at the same time.  Minimac wanted to know why she was talking so fast  :D  The commentary team were trying to keep a grip on themselves too. And me. What a race.

I also watched Natasha Baker get gold in the dressage after an awesome performance. Loved lipreading her comments on the podium: 'this is the bit where I start to cry' as they got ready for the national anthem.

« Reply #71 on: 01 September, 2012, 08:54:39 pm »
One thing I've noticed is how I find myself more impressed with the sport than the Olympics, but exactly not for the obvious reason. It's just more obvious how much effort is going into it, compared with the 'regular' Olympians, who sometimes just look like automata. I noticed it in the dressage especially - I know lots of you don't regard it as a sport, but bear with me...

I've ridden a bit, badly, and I know how a rider ought to look on a horse. Toes forward, lower legs gripping well, straight back, hands close together and low down on the horse's neck, bum glued to the saddle. I see the Olympians riding and think "Well, of course they are good, they've got it all right". Watching some of the Paralympians, no stirrups, toes turned out, seemingly bouncing about in the saddle, hands all over the place, and I think "That's what I looked like most of the time!". And yet they are achieving perfect results, whereas I was generally mostly at the whim of my mount whether it did what it was supposed to.

Similarly with some of the sprinters - limbs flailing about like a toddler running downhill, and yet I know they'd thrash me in a race, whereas Bolt just looked like a machine made to run fast, and I couldn't relate to him.

Interestingly, the one sport in which I haven't seen this effect is the cycling. Once on a bike, the Paralympians look just the same as the Olympians, albeit perhaps with one metal and carbon fibre leg or arm.  Their disability may be obvious off the bike, but on it, it may not be.

So basically, I think I'm more impressed by the Paralympians, because they sometimes look more normal than the Olympians. (without in any way belittling their achievements)

Swimming, I'm just constantly astonished by. A man just raced breaststroke with no arms. My mind boggles at the thought.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #72 on: 01 September, 2012, 09:03:43 pm »
Did anyone see Ellie Simmonds' highly emotional post-swim interview after winning gold again and breaking the WR? She was in floods of tears and talking really fast at the same time.  Minimac wanted to know why she was talking so fast  :D  The commentary team were trying to keep a grip on themselves too. And me. What a race.
Yeah, made me cry a bit too.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #73 on: 01 September, 2012, 09:04:30 pm »
Arch, your summary of the dressage is spot on (I tried and couldn't). The horses are performing perfectly, and, as you say, that doesn't happen on the whim of the horse. The achievement involved in staying on and maintaining position in the saddle, let alone being in control of the horse to that level, is hugely impressive.

« Reply #74 on: 01 September, 2012, 11:10:31 pm »
Like Arch, I was absolutely in awe of the Japanese swimmer with no arms.  On another note, I would love to think that these amazing achievements, by ALL the participants would make more people think twice about their attitudes to disability.  I suspect that those of us who watch and applaud don't need these lessons but I just hope some people kind of switch on by accident and get a jolt for the better.  That would be nice.