Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24HR 2019  (Read 20482 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Mersey Roads 24HR 2019
« Reply #50 on: 21 July, 2019, 06:35:17 pm »
Wowsers - have there ever been so many riders at 500+ miles?!?!?

Massive chapeau to everyone - hope everyone got what they were aiming for - look to be some big PBs for sure.

Even more massive chapeau to the 2 record breakers (provisionally!).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

bairn again

« Reply #51 on: 21 July, 2019, 10:09:14 pm »
well done everybody.  after riding this event a few times (379 miles top whack) I thought Id help this year.

Time keeper 0200 - 0500 Sunday. 

Nice to see it from another perspective.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #52 on: 21 July, 2019, 10:43:37 pm »
What's happened to Teethgrinder?  You'd think the Scottish Race would be a good warm-up...   ;D

He keeps stopping to get receipts...

I wonder if he wanted to do as little as possible and still be part of the winning team.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #53 on: 22 July, 2019, 05:46:19 pm »
Wowsers - have there ever been so many riders at 500+ miles?!?!?

Massive chapeau to everyone - hope everyone got what they were aiming for - look to be some big PBs for sure.

Even more massive chapeau to the 2 record breakers (provisionally!).

Wow indeed. And 3 women over 450 miles. It's a hell of a year where a woman can ride 463 miles and be third!

rob

« Reply #54 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:48:11 pm »
Back in the land of the living today.

Nearly didn’t start and had to be talked down a few times in the days before the event.  Mrs Rob did a happy dance when I rolled off the line.  Paced evenly, possibly a little brisk to start off with but conditions were great.  Digestive issues overnight and switched to sweets and gels for the last 5 hours.

Finished with 484.  Club record and PB by 21 miles.  Utterly broken today and we’re now off to France for a few days.

Good to see so many forumites out on the road, riding, marshalling and supporting.  Thanks for all the encouragement even if I may not have been in a state to acknowledge.

Box ticked.  Off to do other things.

Chris S

« Reply #55 on: 22 July, 2019, 08:37:19 pm »
Nice one Rob. Enjoy your hols - lots of massages, stretching and lazy swims?  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #56 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:42:42 pm »
very impressive rob, the box might have been ticked, but there's another one within reach - the magic 500 - you know you want to! :demon:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #57 on: 22 July, 2019, 11:37:05 pm »
I know he says it every year but I'm pretty sure that really is it from Rob - and well deserved.

« Reply #58 on: 23 July, 2019, 08:12:35 am »
Congratulations Rob. 484 miles is a huge achievement, and now you can go out on a high and do other things. :)

And congrats to Karla as well - 468 mile is a long way!

« Reply #59 on: 23 July, 2019, 08:21:18 am »
It really is a great event.
Thanks to all those who gave support on the road , how wheels on fire can do this and ride so fast is special 😆
Thanks to all the time keepers and marshals
Well done to all who finished and Revellinho for getting over 400 on fixed

« Reply #60 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:52:42 am »
I know he says it every year but I'm pretty sure that really is it from Rob - and well deserved.

Agree with that.
And congratulations to all of you for some great rides and wonderful pbs

How long are you going to leave it before you have another go, though?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #61 on: 23 July, 2019, 01:01:44 pm »
How long are you going to leave it before you have another go, though?

Shut up Frank  :sick: ::-) :demon:

Anyway, time for the forum results:

24HourMaths 533.99
Rob                484.21
Karla              468.52
Pieman           451.79
Cygnet           437.30
SR Steve        414.98
Revellino        402.66
Teethgrinder   292.77
Lord Hereford  DNS(A)

Free photos up at TT Legends

Congratulations everyone, those are some good results there.  I think Pieman needs a new forum name though: he can't possibly keep calling himself Pieman after clocking a huge distance like 451 miles!

Also, Christina's record is huge!  What will be even more huge though is if she pushes it over 480 and becomes the first woman over 20 miles - it must be very short odds that she's back next year.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #62 on: 23 July, 2019, 01:15:01 pm »
Also, Christina's record is huge!  What will be even more huge though is if she pushes it over 480 and becomes the first woman over 20 miles - it must be very short odds that she's back next year.

mega ride, almost the same distance as mine (only 1mile less) - we could make good training buddies haha!

« Reply #63 on: 23 July, 2019, 01:54:59 pm »
Just working my way through the video. The story I had in mind was the tandem record, and the performance of the 'adventure' riders.

The 24 is unpredictable. Andy Jackson looked the likeliest for a new Men's record, but was carrying an injury, even prior to his accident. It was Graham Kemp's first 24, so his performance emerged overnight. We had Christina's coach monitoring her performance at Espley on the night circuit, so got a good view of the evolving situation, which was a three-way with Crystal and Pip.

We had to log all the times of each rider past us on an additional sheet, which gave easily readable splits. That made Espley the place to be to get comparative data without distractions. It was interesting to witness coaching by remote control.

The unpredictability means that we have to shoot everything we can, so editing is a nightmare. The main camera has 102 Gb of data on the card.

« Reply #64 on: 23 July, 2019, 03:46:46 pm »
I  think Pieman needs a new forum name though: he can't possibly keep calling himself Pieman after clocking a huge distance like 451 miles!

I suppose I could call myself faceplant after my actions coming into prees and clipping someone’s wheel at 360 miles  🥴 but aren’t forum names like football teams your not allowed to change  😃

Well done to Phillip and George on there tandem ride as well

« Reply #65 on: 23 July, 2019, 04:02:09 pm »
What's happened to Teethgrinder?  You'd think the Scottish Race would be a good warm-up...   ;D

He keeps stopping to get receipts...

I wonder if he wanted to do as little as possible and still be part of the winning team.

I started getting uncomfortable after an hour and it got worse. Same stomach pains I had for the last 300 miles of Trans Alba, but they got bad very quickly.
I felt worse after 100 miles than I did on the finish circuit. I stopped at 145 miles for a long time but didn't give my numbers in just incase I got better. And I could have had a long rest and got to the finish circuit, even though I would have been under 200 miles, it still wouldn't be a DNF.
I was in the Arctic team and Josh was having a bad night. He kept stopping and stopped for another sleep at around 4:30.
I was starting to feel better then anyway so thought I'd ride around the night circuit to see if I thought I could make it to the finish and at least make up a team, even if we wouldn't win.
I was slow and kept stopping to pee because I was drinking a lot of water to try and sort out my stomach pains. I firstly thought it was because my clothing was too tight, because loosening my clothing helped but it soon got worse. That was before I stopped at 145 miles. I then figured it was a build up of electrolyte tablets, which made sense. So I thought that drinking lots of water would dilute it and flush it out. It did seem to help and I started feeling a bit better but my power was still low, I was still peeing and being sick. So I just tried to keep moving until my 24 hours was up.
Still got it a little bit now.

7 riders with over 500 miles. That's the most riders over 500 in any UK 24hr.
I think that Rob's distance is the most ever done in the UK on fixed.
Wind was helpful getting us from the HQ to the main circuits and also on the way back to the finish circuit, so very good conditions. The rain I was expecting never happened (unless it rained while I wa in a tent sleeping and orting out my stomach pains)

My getting going again prompted Josh to get going as well. I was probably in a much worse state than he was. He ended up being the 3rd counter for the team with 24hr Maths and Nick in 2nd and 3rd place.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #66 on: 23 July, 2019, 04:51:37 pm »
What made this such a high mileage event? Was it the helpful wind, the temperatures, SEEKRIT new tech or just a lot of very strong riders at peak fitness in the same place at the same time?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #67 on: 23 July, 2019, 04:56:47 pm »
The field was extremely strong - up to five comp records were predicted before the event.

The temperature was cool in the day and warm in the night.

The wind was pretty good - not perfect but not bad at all.

« Reply #68 on: 23 July, 2019, 05:09:49 pm »
The lack of the Espley-Shawbirch leg on the night circuit was a factor. That meant that support effort was at two points rather than three for those 8 hours in the night. Most chose to have support only at Prees.

« Reply #69 on: 23 July, 2019, 05:31:06 pm »

Part one of the Mersey Roads 2019.

https://youtu.be/olrg5-ylDjY

« Reply #70 on: 23 July, 2019, 05:39:05 pm »
 Chapeau to all.  Stunning results.
often lost.

« Reply #71 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:03:37 pm »

Anyway, time for the forum results:

Rob                484.21
Karla              468.52
Pieman           451.79
Cygnet           437.30
SR Steve        414.98
Revellino        402.66
Teethgrinder   292.77
Lord Hereford  DNS(A)

Good work, all - what a fab race to be a part of. Stunning rides abounded. I hope I said something nice if our paths crossed during the race  :)

« Reply #72 on: 23 July, 2019, 11:08:36 pm »
It was the end of an era. Andy Wilkinson now has no solo upright records, having conceded the 24 Hours after 22 years. He's only got the mixed tandem LEJOG, recumbent IOM TT course and recumbent LEJOG left.

rob

« Reply #73 on: 24 July, 2019, 08:25:18 am »
Thanks for the kind words everyone.  I won’t be going back again now as I ticked a lot of boxes off.  My love affair with long distance testing is coming to an end.

There’s room for a bit of improvement here and there, but I was only stopped for 11 minutes, so maybe not huge gains.

Currently in France working my way through the buffet breakfast.  Still coming down.  My legs are still sore, but my back and neck are getting their mobility back.  I’m probably not completely broken, but I need to be prepared for PBP.

« Reply #74 on: 24 July, 2019, 01:04:43 pm »

The flattest part of the course is the Espley-Shawbirch-Espley leg. As it wasn't on the night circuit, the amount of climbing in that 8 hour period was effectively doubled. That's where I'd look for increases in climbing.