Author Topic: YHA  (Read 5251 times)

YHA
« on: 29 June, 2023, 10:24:22 pm »
The YHA is to sell  20 of its remaining 150 hostels. An end of an era perhaps?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: YHA
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2023, 11:18:23 pm »
I reckon the era ended a while ago, but it's still sad to see it happen.

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2023, 08:27:23 am »
I'm not sure when the era was.
When I was regularly hostelling the era apparently ended when they allowed hostelers to arrive by car.
Opening modern, comfortable, city centre hostels also ended the era.
Being unable to randomly cycle / trek between hostels with no more planning than a glance at the handbook was the end of the era too.

The YHA has certainly lost its way, and no longer seems to know what its purpose is. When that identify crisis began is a good question.

This round of proposed sell offs confirms the lack of direction, purpose and identify.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2023, 10:28:34 am »
I suspect the era ended when teens from the UK chose to go on holiday to Europe rather than the UK countryside. At that point the YHA started to pivot to international backpackers who want to be in city centres rather than in the wilds which the YHA was set up for. Add in foot and mouth and some other external impacts along with changing expectations e.g. not dorms and some of the traditional rural sites became less and less viable.

The issue is that once you start to loose some key locations e.g. Copt Oak near Loughborough1 then the connectivity of the network breaks, at which point you loose further guests as tours are no longer practical.

1 It was a 40 mile ride on the day to Copt Oak and then a further 40 miles on the day out, the longest two days on our Ascot - Manchester tour.

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2023, 10:54:12 am »
Every YHA I’ve stayed in (which admittedly isn’t many) has had the warmth and charm on the inside of a dentist’s waiting room or a young offender’s institute. Something really unsettling about their interior decor/lighting choices. Food was shit too.

You can’t complain about larger trends when your product offering is so terrible.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2023, 11:19:23 am »
When I was regularly hostelling the era apparently ended when they allowed hostelers to arrive by car.
Opening modern, comfortable, city centre hostels also ended the era.
Being unable to randomly cycle / trek between hostels with no more planning than a glance at the handbook was the end of the era too.

The YHA has certainly lost its way, and no longer seems to know what its purpose is. When that identify crisis began is a good question.

This round of proposed sell offs confirms the lack of direction, purpose and identify.

The "Rule 1" debate that raged in the 60s  .. . I think my last YHA bednight was in about 1968

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2023, 12:29:58 pm »
A very good friend of mine was a YHA warden for many years and was also a life-member.  She wants nothing more to do with the YHA these days and put her membership card through the shredder some years ago.

« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2023, 06:58:46 pm »
I use them regularly, I'm staying at one next week. The big thing for me is the location, I'm into hiking and can walk from the front door which I like.

« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2023, 09:34:33 pm »
I am still a member.  I have used them occasionally when away for work and unable to book a convenient hotel within the expenses budget.  Most recent stay was Cheddar.  I don’t think I saw or heard another guest for the duration of my stay.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2023, 11:50:36 pm »
My late brother would have been saddened.
After gaining his physics (it was probably more defined than that) degree, he took up post in the Fylingdales golf balls on the N Yorks Moors. Never talked about his work, but after after three years, and much dope smoking,  declared 'fuck this', and took up the post of warden of Boggle Hole YH.
He became a much happier person.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2023, 05:49:29 am »
I recall doing a school trip to Yorkshire in 1972, staying at Aysgarth falls, York, Grinton Lodge and Saltburn Youths Hostels. I’m guessing none of these even exist today. Sad times.

A

« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2023, 11:29:01 am »
What is that purpose?
I did a fair bit of hostelling when I started cycle touring, the majority of the clientele were middle aged to older men (And it was mostly men) with anyone under 40 considered a youth. All my favourites are gone, or converted to cater for school parties, when it became impossible to string enough together for a tour I started camping.  I miss them, I didn't mind the lack of facilities, the locations were often fantastic and the low cost was a huge benefit. Even so, it'd be hard not to understand the low occupancy rate made that unsustainable, or think catering for the likes of me was ever the intended purpose.  The YHA are saying this round of closures is partly due to the lockdown losses, they didn't have much control over that.  I also read that the majority of their income (90% I think) came from 60% of their hostels. Faced with that, it's understandable they'd close some to concentrate on others. Although I haven't seen anything that says so, I'd put money on the profitable ones being those that most appeal to school parties, that does seem to be the core business and it's arguable it's closer to the original purpose than the situation when I was hostelling.

« Reply #12 on: 11 July, 2023, 09:00:12 pm »
I see the end of chores before your day out started isn’t when the rot set in. ;)

I’ve enjoyed hostels when young (hiking), with the kids and cycling. These days I’m less fussed about carrying ingredients for cooking for myself. And, as others have said, finding a string of hostels with a room available involves bigger distances than it used to. I’m also better off these days and can choose something fancier, or glampier, than a hostel. So I’ll still look at them, but alongside other places.

One popped up when I was looking for a place in York earlier on.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2023, 10:11:19 am »
I recall doing a school trip to Yorkshire in 1972, staying at Aysgarth falls, York, Grinton Lodge and Saltburn Youths Hostels. I’m guessing none of these even exist today. Sad times.

A
York and Grinton Lodge are still available as hostels, Aysgarth and Saltburn are sadly no longer with us.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #14 on: 16 July, 2023, 11:13:03 pm »
We just had a very enjoyable 3 night stay at the YHA Berwick upon Tweed. We chose the hostel rather than trying to find a hotel or B&B as the building is fantastic, in a nice location and (having been before) we knew it had a decent bike shed. Although we booked a 2 bed room, we were allocated a 6 bed - so plenty of space to spread out (it is amazing how much floor area you can cover with the contents of four panniers!). Yes the room is a bit basic with bunk beds, but we had a functional shower room and also of course access to the hostel kitchen (very well equipped, plenty of room for lots of people) and dining area in the old attic. The ground floor bar/reception area is definitely more interesting than many hotels so we chilled out there quite a lot in the evenings.
Our fellow guests were a varied lot, mostly older. but it was midweek.
So for us a good option, and we would stay again if in the area. I suspect though this one is a bit of a "jewel in the YHA crown" as the building is very special.

« Reply #15 on: 28 July, 2023, 02:02:31 pm »
We try to use them but often with the two of us and a toddler and AirBNB is often cheaper.

You'd think we'd be a good market for them, travelling on foot / by train, youngish family but when a premier inn or whole flat is less money I know which one i'd pick.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #16 on: 01 August, 2023, 09:39:53 pm »
Mrs TB and I have had 2 YHA-based hols this year and will be off again soon to Blaxhall in Suffolk. We like the YHA very much
Cons:
- too many seem to be unbookable, given over almost entirely to groups, it seems
Pros:
- remarkably inexpensive - can often book out a private room for about £70 / night.
- generous cancellation policy
- mattresses of the same firmness and quality everywhere. They always work for Mrs TB who has back probs and arthritic limbs
- self-catering facilities mean further cash savings and much greater feeling of freedom. We dislike being tied to pub meals and the like
- communal areas, gardens etc give a greater feeling of space
- staff almost universally friendly, helpful and co-operative
- unusual locations, often highly scenic

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2023, 09:56:02 pm »

Pros:
- remarkably inexpensive - can often book out a private room for about £70 / night.
Our Berwick room was £60 a night midweek - that was the 2 bed room rate but as already said we actually got a 6. Looking at the floor plans they only have three 2 bed rooms I think (plus two accessible rooms)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 01 August, 2023, 10:18:51 pm »
I suspect the era ended when teens from the UK chose to go on holiday to Europe rather than the UK countryside. At that point the YHA started to pivot to international backpackers who want to be in city centres rather than in the wilds which the YHA was set up for. Add in foot and mouth and some other external impacts along with changing expectations e.g. not dorms and some of the traditional rural sites became less and less viable.
The issue is that once you start to loose some key locations e.g. Copt Oak near Loughborough1 then the connectivity of the network breaks, at which point you loose further guests as tours are no longer practical.
1 It was a 40 mile ride on the day to Copt Oak and then a further 40 miles on the day out, the longest two days on our Ascot - Manchester tour.

Copt Oak's 'Motorway' rubber stamp struck me as WEIRD.
'Your Motorway Youth Hostel' in the strapline made me baulk as a cyclist. It was a fairly recently opened YH IIRC...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 01 August, 2023, 10:29:58 pm »
I think some of the Child Protection guidelines have created problems.

I don't think you can mix school parties with casual travellers any longer. This HUGELY restricts availability to the casual traveller. I did a mostly solo LEJOG, staying in Youth Hostels as much as possible, in 1986.

It wasn't easy, even then...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #20 on: 02 August, 2023, 12:33:10 am »
Years ago, Jan and I went to a YH in Norfolk - Sheringham IIRC. I had checked the website and it said it was open and had spare places. When we got there, there was indeed a school party but they let us stay.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #21 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:17:50 am »

Copt Oak's 'Motorway' rubber stamp struck me as WEIRD.
'Your Motorway Youth Hostel' in the strapline made me baulk as a cyclist. It was a fairly recently opened YH IIRC...

It seems to have opened in 1959 according to https://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Former-youth-hostels-of-Great-Britain/3

It would have been fairly local to me - and is there as a private house.
Another site gives it as having 18 beds ( https://youthhostelsguide.com/hostels/view/48) although I question that site's reliability as it shows it as still open!

The route of the M1 through Leicestershire was fiercely debated and it may be the result of this battle that led to some local pride in having the route close by and hence the strap line (seems weird now, but in 1965 carmaggedon was on the ascendency)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #22 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:33:55 am »

My late great Aunt was a walker and YHA user in the 1930s.  From her diaries seems like it filled a need then

There are still some YHA in amazing places, like Kings near Dolgellau

« Reply #23 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:37:08 am »
It's a shame but I think they've been out evolved by the Premier Inn and AirB&B markets.

If I'm travelling en famille, I don't want to stay in a hotel. Often we need 2 rooms (expensive), or we are all shoved in one tiny room with no option of going to bed at different times. I also don't want to be tied to expensive hotel or restaurant food, and would rather not have to subsist on sandwiches or meal deals eaten perched on the edge of the bed.

A hostel with a well equipped kitchen is ideal but for not much more you can have, as PPs have said, an entire AirBnB. Hostel availability is also challenging, and I'm not sure how I would feel with my kids sharing dorms with randoms, even if I am with them. I wonder if increasing regulation of AirBnBs will change things?

« Reply #24 on: 02 August, 2023, 01:52:32 pm »
The two I've stayed at in the past few years (Loch Ossian and Glen Affric) are both the only accommodation in the area (it is a 3-4 walk to get there by the shortest route).
Two others that I have stayed at have both closed since I stayed there.