Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 860720 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #4950 on: 18 January, 2021, 01:34:07 am »
Have heard it used in a fighting context "Knocked Out sparko!" and when someone has passed out when drunk.
Deep sleep, "never heard a thing I was sparko".

This one reckons its British slang https://thorne_slang.enacademic.com/6188/sparko

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4951 on: 18 January, 2021, 01:41:49 am »
I just guessed Australian as they have a habit of forming diminutives with an -o suffix — garbo, smoko and so on.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4952 on: 18 January, 2021, 07:29:09 am »
I certainly knew the expression "spark out" in common parlance (something my parents would have said), and the contraction "sparko", but that tended to be pronounced "spark-o". For what that's worth.

« Reply #4953 on: 18 January, 2021, 10:45:44 am »
I have learned that 'Tyre Wipers' were/are a thing.

« Reply #4954 on: 18 January, 2021, 11:27:25 am »
The ISBN for "The Greatest" - the newish book about Beryl Burton, has the last 3 digits 531

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4955 on: 18 January, 2021, 11:36:31 am »

There is No limit to the benefits of exercise in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Good news for us, I guess.

My cardiologist reckons that it adds about 10 years of  life on average.  Mind you, most of the people he sees are already afflicted.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4956 on: 18 January, 2021, 01:58:50 pm »
I have learned that 'Tyre Wipers' were/are a thing.

Are you saying that people don't use them???       

I had one on my fixie until about 3 years go .... only really works on slick-ish tyres (hopefully preventing mini-flints getting into the tyre casing)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4957 on: 18 January, 2021, 02:58:11 pm »

There is No limit to the benefits of exercise in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Good news for us, I guess.

My cardiologist reckons that it adds about 10 years of  life on average.  Mind you, most of the people he sees are already afflicted.

I saw that one myself - a good counter argument to "are you going out in the bike AGAIN!"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4958 on: 20 January, 2021, 11:04:38 am »
That the term 'conscientious objector' was first used, not in WWI or any previous war, but for those who refused smallpox vaccinations under the 1898 Vaccination Act.
https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/britain-allows-exemptions
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4959 on: 20 January, 2021, 01:56:32 pm »
Molsidomine will indeed give you a headache. Even after two espressos. :(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4960 on: 21 January, 2021, 12:32:31 pm »
That the nosewheel on the Trident was offset two feet to the left of the aircraft’s centre line and retracted sideways.  Something pilots often forgot when trying to avoid running over hedgehogs*.

* Lie

« Reply #4961 on: 21 January, 2021, 12:37:00 pm »
That if we move our sofa about a meter forward, we don't actually need a bigger telly.  :thumbsup: ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4962 on: 21 January, 2021, 10:48:04 pm »
That the Queen Bitch of Bowie's song was Lou Reed.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4963 on: 22 January, 2021, 11:14:18 am »
That there is a genetic condition, Williams-Beuren syndrome, one of the effects of which is to make people overly gregarious; people with it treat everyone they meet as a friend. It's a very rare disorder in humans but apparently dogs show many of the genetic changes common to WBS.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4964 on: 22 January, 2021, 02:12:52 pm »
That there is a genetic condition, Williams-Beuren syndrome, one of the effects of which is to make people overly gregarious;

Makes people gather in bakeries.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4965 on: 22 January, 2021, 02:19:04 pm »
That there is a genetic condition, Williams-Beuren syndrome, one of the effects of which is to make people overly gregarious;

Makes people gather in bakeries.
;D

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4966 on: 22 January, 2021, 05:33:38 pm »
That the nosewheel on the Trident was offset two feet to the left of the aircraft’s centre line and retracted sideways.
Then you may also be pleased to learn, if you don't already know it, that the B-52 main undercarriage is steerable (to 20 degrees either side of centre line) allegedly so that it can be landed in cross-winds.  A bodge fix made necessary by its relatively undersized rudder.  Rumour has it that the small rudder was to prevent high stress load damaging the airframe which (AIUI) is limited to +2g.  I don't know for certain, but I very much doubt it has a -ve g rating.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

« Reply #4967 on: 22 January, 2021, 06:31:58 pm »
I already knew that. The B52 at Duxford, if you look at it, has rippled skin, much like an ancient land rover, I'm not sure if that's from sheer weight or just the length of the panels.

The A10 apparently was designed to be able to land wheels up after  jettisoning all stores

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4968 on: 22 January, 2021, 07:06:07 pm »
It's not unusual for flat panels on large aircraft to appear rippled when the aircraft is at rest. There's a considerable amount of flexibility built into them, and the skin will give it away in some configurations. It's a characteristic that's a bit more obvious on Boeing products than most others. The B52 has been completely reskinned at least once, and has had several partial reskinning programmes.

The normal G envelope for large aircraft is -1 to +2.5g, and is stipulated for passenger aircraft by international regulation. This accommodates the likely worst that severe turbulence will incur, rather than any ambitious manoeuvre capability. I'd be surprised if the B52 is significantly different from that. The extremely manoeuvrable C130 that I used to fly years ago has a slightly wider G envelope than that, but not much.

The B52's weird undercarriage configuration was a hangover from the B47 design from which it was derived. The high-set and very thin wing mitigated against conventional wing-mounted gear. The flexibility of the wing and its large size (for the time) meant that there was rather less scope for the 'wing-down' crosswind technique than was ideal, and so they hit on the idea of castoring all of the four main gear legs to allow a flat, drift-offset landing technique. The B737 has a similar castoring capability because of its very low-set engines, though the main gear isn't steerable.

« Reply #4969 on: 22 January, 2021, 09:24:48 pm »
When I was in the Air Cadets (mid '70s), we got a tour of a B52 when they were at Marham RAF base. They told us about the wheels being 'steerable' and also that, on take off, the tips of the wings rise 17ft higher than when at rest!  :o
 I can't remember which of the crew's ejector seats, eject downwards...   :-\
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

ElyDave

« Reply #4970 on: 22 January, 2021, 09:39:15 pm »
When I was in the Air Cadets (mid '70s), we got a tour of a B52 when they were at Marham RAF base. They told us about the wheels being 'steerable' and also that, on take off, the tips of the wings rise 17ft higher than when at rest!  :o

I've been sat over wing on an A380, and you can watch the wing take off before the rest of the aeroplane. Watching the flex by about 3m is quite bizarre, but at the same time awesome in terms of materials engineering

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4971 on: 22 January, 2021, 10:09:33 pm »

The flight deck on the B52 is a double-deck affair. The crew on the lower deck eject downwards. Their titles have changed several times over the years, and I can't remember what they are anyway, but essentially the bomb-aimer and one other. It was arguably a better arrangement than teh RAF had on the V-Force aircraft, where the back seaters had no ejection facility.

I've been sat over wing on an A380, and you can watch the wing take off before the rest of the aeroplane. Watching the flex by about 3m is quite bizarre, but at the same time awesome in terms of materials engineering

Airbuses are relatively stiff. The A340-600 which I flew had about a 2 -3m flex at the wingtip, depending on weight and fuel distribution. The 747 (which I flew in the last century), with an almost identical wingspan had probably a 4m flex. The 787 has something ridiculous, and with a 5-10m shorter wing has a wing flex range of probably twice the A340. The A380 is a bit stiffer than the A340, but the wingspan is a good bit longer, so the flex is about the same or a bit more.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4972 on: 22 January, 2021, 11:51:50 pm »
I flew to Canuckistan on a 787 a few years ago and it was quite a surprise to a Mr Larrington raised on non-bendy* æroplanes to have to crane upwards to see the wingtip in flight.

* or at least not noticeably bendy, before anyone sets the ghost of Sir Henry Royce** on my donkey
** “Every engineering material behaves more or less like rubber and if approached with a lighted match will expand”

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4973 on: 23 January, 2021, 08:33:45 am »
I flew to Canuckistan on a 787 a few years ago and it was quite a surprise to a Mr Larrington raised on non-bendy* æroplanes to have to crane upwards to see the wingtip in flight.

* or at least not noticeably bendy, before anyone sets the ghost of Sir Henry Royce** on my donkey
** “Every engineering material behaves more or less like rubber and if approached with a lighted match will expand”

Kinda telling that Charlie Rolls got his name up front in the partnership when he was just the salesman. Still, he learnt all about the fallibility of engineering materials in 1910.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4974 on: 23 January, 2021, 10:15:40 am »

Kinda telling that Charlie Rolls got his name up front in the partnership when he was just the salesman. Still, he learnt all about the fallibility of engineering materials in 1910.

Well, he was a toff.  Pater a Lord, Eton & Cambridge, ect and, moreover, ect and not an unlettered oaf from Peterborough.  Also, people might have thought Royce-Rolls referred to some kind of bread-based food product.