Author Topic: Microwave Rice Cooker - help needed  (Read 14089 times)

Re: Microwave Rice Cooker - help needed
« Reply #25 on: 20 November, 2009, 12:07:46 am »
Massive excess of water, boil til done, drain, rinse.  Never had a problem.  Never understood all this water-measuring either. ???
Drain & rinse? Ugh! Destroyed rice, with all the flavour washed out.

When I was at school, the Chinese & Japanese contingent all seemed to have electric rice cookers in their dorms.
We have one of them, donated by Mrs Bs sister & brother-in-law when they returned to Japan. Don't often use it, as just sticking a pan on the stove is so easy.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jakob

« Reply #26 on: 20 November, 2009, 12:44:38 am »
We have a rice cooker and I had one before I met my wife (Who's Korean and for whom a rice cooker is a must) and I couldn't live without one. It'll keep the rice warm and eatable for 2-3 days. (Longer when it was new, I think the seals are going). We usually go through a 40lbs bag of rice in 2-3 months.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #27 on: 20 November, 2009, 09:33:29 am »
Never heard of one of those (cooking in a pan is easy enough)

Aye.  Never heard of a microwave rice cooker.  Is it a solution to a problem that doesnt exist?

Though I might have appreciated such a thing when i lived in a third floor bedsit where I wasn't allowed a proper cooker, and had only a microwave...
Getting there...

« Reply #28 on: 22 November, 2009, 11:10:52 pm »
on high for 6 minutes, stir, then another 6 minutes  - put the lid on then if you need it stand for a while

Is that not longer than it takes to cook it conventionally?

Not on our stove - at least 15-20 minutes (and if I cook it in the microwave I can be doing other things on the stove while the rice is nuking) ...

And the microwaved rice tastes much better!

In that case I'll investigate  :)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #29 on: 07 April, 2022, 03:09:17 pm »
Thread resurrection. Because I wonder if anyone has experience of microwaving brown basmati?

Just experimented with a couple of combined suggestions made previously (thanks nicknack, SandyV, Gus et al) and with white basmati and am impressed! Seemingly better than my usual cheapo rice cooker and rinsing and soaking and stuff.

150g white basmati (not rinsed nor soaked) and 300g of boiling water into a Pyrex bowl. 700W uncovered for 5 minutes, remove stir and a further 700W uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove, cover and rest for 5 minutes = worked a real treat :thumbsup:

So any brown rice tips please?

« Reply #30 on: 07 April, 2022, 03:12:12 pm »
We do brown rice in the microwave. Takes the same time as on the stove (so use the time on the packet). I don’t normally bother stirring part way through.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."