Author Topic: Kenco Millicano  (Read 2352 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Kenco Millicano
« on: 17 September, 2011, 06:04:30 pm »
Full bean instant coffee. It's actually very good :D Proper coffee in an instant.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Kenco Millicano
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2011, 10:28:32 pm »
Wrong on all three counts.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2011, 11:16:58 am »
Someone please post a casting vote so I know whether to give it a go!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2011, 11:22:40 am »
Not tried it myself, but don't hold out hopes for it being as billed. There was a similar product a few years ago, can't remember it's brand name, but it didn't taste like fresh bean coffee. It tasted quite nice, certainly nicer than normal instant, but not like fresh coffee.

If you are after something that tastes like bean coffee, it's probably better to just make fresh coffee. It's really not that hard after all.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2011, 01:44:06 pm »
Just to point out it's very good but obviously not as good as a proper coffee from my Jura but it's good enough that some days I don't even use it.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Kenco Millicano
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2011, 02:37:31 pm »
I've not tried it but I don't intend do. Not least because I find the ads with Keeley Hawes so deeply offensive.

I don't really care what it tastes like. It's not real coffee. It's a gimmick, like Nespresso. A product that has been invented to fill a non-existent gap in the market.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2011, 02:40:39 pm »
It's replaced the instant at home and at work.

Support Equilibrium

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2011, 04:16:51 pm »
It's replaced the instant at home and at work.
I've tried it.  It is instant coffee.  They haven't made a new magical product that is made in a similar way to instant but in taste is like moderately poor cafetiere coffee.  My daughter claims it is better than Nescafe

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #8 on: 18 September, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »
It's obviously not as good at proper ground coffee but it is much better than any of the standard instant coffees and a much more affordable alternative to the Starbucks Viva stuff.  I've started using it as my work coffee.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 18 September, 2011, 06:16:31 pm »
The gap in the market does exist.  I don't know how big the gap is, but I'm in it.  It's been so long since I used my cafeieter, I can't remember how to use it or spell it.  Would like something better-tasting than any instant coffee I've tried so far.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #10 on: 18 September, 2011, 06:51:11 pm »
Why do they call it "full bean instant coffee"? Are all other instant coffees made from only part of a bean? The inferior part?

« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2011, 05:15:26 pm »
Anyone tried that Starbucks Via stuff?

Nespresso dominates on the continent, so I don't think the capsules are a gimmick and are here to stay.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2011, 05:26:41 pm »
Nespresso is undoubtedly a marketing triumph.

d.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #13 on: 19 September, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »
The Starbucks stuff is probably the best instant coffee you can get but it's soooooooo expensive.  The Kenco comes pretty close and it's less than half the price.

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2011, 12:51:15 pm »

Whereas I was put off Millicano because of insufferable fucking smugness of those TV adverts.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2011, 12:55:48 pm »

Whereas I was put off Millicano because of insufferable fucking smugness of those TV adverts.

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=50689.msg1038129#msg1038129

d.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 22 September, 2011, 10:43:13 am »
I haven't noticed the adverts.  I have just drunk a cup Millicano.  It does not taste like proper coffee, but it doesn't taste too bad.  It doesn't taste of much, really, which means I can make it stronger :thumbsup:  The price per cup is cheap compared to buying it out anyway.  Thanks Val for the recommendation.

I only drink instant coffee for the caffeine and the comfort of warm fluid going in me.

« Reply #17 on: 22 September, 2011, 09:45:35 pm »
Millicano in refill bags, is one of the cheapest instant coffees.

I guess by adding back the coffee grinds, they're using was once a waste product.

« Reply #18 on: 22 September, 2011, 10:00:41 pm »
Could someone explain to me what is more instant than putting a filter holder on top of a mug, adding filter and ground coffee, then pouring water?

I suspect that the addition of milk that most people have is what helps the ersatz drinks wash down, I drink both tea and coffee black and abhor the instant.

« Reply #19 on: 22 September, 2011, 10:09:18 pm »
Fresh coffee maybe quick to make, but disposing of the waste takes time. Old coffee grounds smell and make your bin soggy.

citoyen

« Reply #20 on: 22 September, 2011, 10:49:39 pm »
Spurious objection. Old coffee grounds smell of coffee (a good thing) and can go on the compost heap. And cleaning the filter really isn't that much trouble. At work, I have a one-cup permanent filter that requires nothing more than emptying into the bin and a quick rinse under the tap after use.

Besides, nothing in my working day is ever so urgent that I can't spare the extra few seconds to make a cup of real coffee and clean the filter. In fact, I quite enjoy the ritual and the excuse to get away from my desk for a minute or two.

I have absolutely nothing to gain by drinking instant coffee.

d.

Billy Weir

« Reply #21 on: 23 September, 2011, 07:45:10 am »
Would like something better-tasting than any instant coffee I've tried so far.

Tea?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #22 on: 23 September, 2011, 10:16:18 am »
Would like something better-tasting than any instant coffee I've tried so far.

Tea?

Tea is essential for me first thing in the morning, but I don't like to drink many cups a day.  Maybe something to do with the tannins?