Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753546 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #8925 on: 24 February, 2016, 02:13:25 pm »
Bobb and Jiber, I am probably leaving from Chelmsford.  Are we aiming to get up to Grand Central Roundabout for 7.30 or ride our own route and assemble at the pub at 9ish ?

I can probably do either.

Dunno, how many miles are looking at getting in before the pub? I have a slight cold, so probably don't want to do too many...
The current proposed route from Witham is just over 20 miles (33km) to the Three Elms via TMNH.  Expect ETA about 9pm, probably don't want too late a departure for home, but we quite often say that  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8926 on: 24 February, 2016, 02:14:40 pm »
I've not given it too much thought, but might head east then come round the top of Chelmo to miss out the delight of Chignal Rd - stuck on an all day conference call - so might have a think about a route when I can detach from it...
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8927 on: 24 February, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »
I'll probably be setting off from home around 19:15 or just before to trundle over to Hammonds Lane and up Colam, down TMNH and round the top of Chelmo via Waltham's to arrive at 3elms. Probably about 1h45mins of riding (ish) depending on how my legs feel...

Something like this:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12312324
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8928 on: 24 February, 2016, 04:30:16 pm »
Bobb, are you going to do Jiber's route or something else.

I am happy with Jiber's route albeit that it goes up sodding Colams  :hand:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8929 on: 24 February, 2016, 04:32:49 pm »
Me and Penelope will swing by the roundabout after Endurance Spinning and flick sweat at you if you're still there.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8930 on: 24 February, 2016, 05:06:03 pm »

Beehive Lane / Baddow Road Roundabout (pub car park) for 19:15 ish ?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8931 on: 24 February, 2016, 05:07:00 pm »

I think I'll intercept you at Little Waltham. A 19:15 start is a bit early for me tonight.

I see it's 14 miles on your route to LW, so I would imagine you'll be going through there about 20:15? If I get there a bit before that (in case you decide to smash it), I can just wait for you there....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #8932 on: 24 February, 2016, 05:09:33 pm »
(in case you decide to smash it

Bobb, I think you may have forgotten it was me you were talking to.  When was the last time I smashed it  :o

Jiber, where do you want to rendezvous ?

« Reply #8933 on: 24 February, 2016, 05:58:29 pm »
Ok, I'll assume you won't be smashing it then  :P

I shall wait somewhere obvious on The Street in Lt. Waltham...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #8934 on: 24 February, 2016, 06:00:35 pm »
We will be the two cyclists that arrive; one in a fetching luminous green and black outfit with co-ordinated luggage, the other wheezing somewhere behind.

Don't forget to bring your money for your brevet card for H4C on Saturday.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8935 on: 24 February, 2016, 06:11:18 pm »
(in case you decide to smash it

Bobb, I think you may have forgotten it was me you were talking to.  When was the last time I smashed it  :o

Jiber, where do you want to rendezvous ?
Beehive pub roundabout baddow road/beehive lane. 19:15... :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8936 on: 25 February, 2016, 06:46:57 am »
A cold evening ride brought us to the Three Elms from three different directions; Tomsk from Dunmow, Huggy and the Hustler from Witham and myself, Jiberjaber and Bobb from Chelmsford.  Without OD's guiding hand we are a fragmented bunch.

Brentwood Best and up n under and Colchester Golden something were sampled with Best taking the Quaffer's Choice.  We also sampled the famous pork scratchings but no haggis eggs. Meanwhile plans were hatched for Saturday's Horses for Courses perm and Huggy and Jiber had a long discourse about something technical.

An early night was called and all too soon we were back in the even colder night air for the return.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8937 on: 25 February, 2016, 07:09:19 am »
Who was the chap wearing specs in your FB photo?

« Reply #8938 on: 25 February, 2016, 08:41:10 am »
You are more Oscar Wilde than Oscar's Dad these days with that kind of sharp wit.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8939 on: 25 February, 2016, 08:42:24 am »
Was it you?

« Reply #8940 on: 25 February, 2016, 09:09:40 am »
If you are talking about the slim handsome chap taking the picture then obviously.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8941 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:14:53 am »
A cold evening ride brought us to the Three Elms from three different directions; Tomsk from Dunmow, Huggy and the Hustler from Witham and myself, Jiberjaber and Bobb from Chelmsford. 
An early night was called and all too soon we were back in the even colder night air for the return.
It was quite cold, my Garmin registered -3 at about 8:30 on the way to the pub, about the same time as my rear brake bound on and needed manual releasing at the calliper.  I quipped that maybe it had frozen but for the remainder of the ride I was without functioning rear brake (who needs brakes anyway they only slow you down, although quite useful when approaching the Army & Navy roundabout).  Testing of rear brake when arrived at the pub confirmed that it was not releasing, hmm maybe the calliper spring had given up and a new calliper would need to be ordered.
On the return journey Garmin reported a low of -5 and the Hustler also reported strange goings on with his rear calliper not releasing, at which point my front started to just bind a little.  Freezing cables in the outers??
Today all brakes are functioning again (the Hustler's were working after two minutes warming TLC last night), so it would seem that freezing temperatures and disc brakes don't necessarily get on  :o
I was without liquid on the way home too, having taken bidon in to the pub to prevent freezing the nozzle very soon froze after leaving the pub anyway.  Reminiscent of a certain failed Easter Arrow attempt a few of years ago.
It was good to get out awheel again despite the subzero temperature all evening  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #8942 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:24:12 am »
I didn't envy you and the Hustler the longer ride back to Witham than our 5k jaunt to Chelmsford City Centre.  It was getting seriously parky out there.

Looking at Strava, we missed intersecting with you on the way out by less than 3 minutes.

Oscar's dad

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #8943 on: 29 February, 2016, 09:44:08 am »
This week is ted and Carlosfandango's anniversaries, below are their inaugural posts.  Little did we know just one short year ago how much they would enrich our lives and us theirs  ;D

Is there room for another one ?

As you are over my side of the world this week and it is the Horsepower on Saturday, I thought I might try to come along and say hello.

Coming from Mersea so a pint at the Fox then on to Oddies would be perfect if that's ok with everyone.

Hi, I'm not working tonight as I expected so I'd like to meet up with you guys. Tippers has warned me but I'm still keen.

Is the plan, Layer Fox for 8:30pm and then decide on the next pub?

I think we should go back to the Oddie on Wednesday to celebrate.  We can use tipper's ROUTE from a year ago.

« Reply #8944 on: 29 February, 2016, 10:35:35 am »
How time flies when you are having, ahem, fun.

A trip to the Oddie seems only right and proper.  The only slight snag is that I may not be out on Wednesday.  If that is the case, you can all get there and pretend it is still 2015 and that it was just a bad dream in a reprise of the famous shower scene in Dallas. Sister Carol riding down the steps would help with this of course.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8945 on: 29 February, 2016, 10:38:18 am »
How time flies when you are having, ahem, fun.

A trip to the Oddie seems only right and proper.  The only slight snag is that I may not be out on Wednesday.  If that is the case, you can all get there and pretend it is still 2015 and that it was just a bad dream in a reprise of the famous shower scene in Dallas. Sister Carol riding down the steps would help with this of course.

We can always delay a week.  I should be just about OK for a week on Wednesday. 

If we don't do The Oddie this week where shall we go?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8946 on: 29 February, 2016, 10:44:40 am »
This week is ted and Carlosfandango's anniversaries, below are their inaugural posts.  Little did we know just one short year ago how much they would enrich our lives and us theirs  ;D

Do you have all these in a diary somewhere?  Did I somehow miss the "On This Day In MEMWNS History" thread?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8947 on: 29 February, 2016, 11:00:47 am »

Do you have all these in a diary somewhere?  Did I somehow miss the "On This Day In MEMWNS History" thread?

Not really.  It's just that ted and 'fandango's debut was so memorable!  In fairness it was 'fandango's antics that made it memorable  ;D 

Also, as I have mentioned before, I think its brilliant that we have had new riders join over the last couple of years and this helps stuff stick in my mind.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8948 on: 29 February, 2016, 03:54:23 pm »
I'm potentially in the Midlands for this middle of this week.... so unless that changes I wont be out with you chaps, safe ride where ever it is...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8949 on: 29 February, 2016, 04:43:50 pm »
Would folk be interested in sampling the delights of a Tiptree Pub? Following on from OD's previous Idea I'll pop together a route that takes in the finest lanes (maybe even some light COR options) and we can hit the one of the local pubs. Likely the Anchor or the New Times.