Author Topic: An awful warning..  (Read 4351 times)

An awful warning..
« on: 28 March, 2020, 07:42:38 pm »
Warning that cycling could be banned if people don’t ride responsibly this weekend

British Cycling has warned that the ‘privilege’ of riding a bike could be removed if people fail to observe instructions on social distancing this weekend.

Government advice on staying at home currently lists as an exception, “one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household.”

It goes on to say that, “even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.”
Move Faster and Bake Things

Phil W

Re: An awful warning..
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2020, 08:42:25 pm »
How did riders meet in cafes for a mid ride chat. I thought all cafes were closed?

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:31:58 pm »
Probably congregating outside in groups. Many cafes are open for takeaways.

Ireland moved to a "exercise within 2km" rule yesterday (as Italy and France already have), I don't think the UK will be far behind.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2020, 07:24:10 am »
“Best to avoid cycling in case you fall off” says director of motoring group

Biggs was unimpressed with the suggestion. Responding on Twitter, he wrote: “You can’t do much shopping on a bike – I am walking to local shops for essentials, not driving to large supermarkets.”

Then, for good measure, he added: “You’re only allowed out once a day for personal exercise – bike, walking or running. Best to avoid cycling in case you fall off and require medical assistance.”

In spite of Mr Biggs' warning I will continue shopping by bike although I packed up social rides over 2 weeks ago. It's a doddle with reduced traffic although I notice that many drivers feel they can now drive way over the speed limit on empty roads.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2020, 10:45:05 am »
Probably congregating outside in groups. Many cafes are open for takeaways.

Ireland moved to a "exercise within 2km" rule yesterday (as Italy and France already have), I don't think the UK will be far behind.

1 km and not on a bike here - and although you're allowed to shop locally by bike, the peelers are liable to inspect your bag(s) and if there isn't enough shopping to make it credible they'll nab you.  In one town whose name I forget (natch) too many folk were doing multiple trips to the baker's and bringing back one croissant at a time, so the mayor slapped a 20-metre limit on them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ChillyPanda

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:09:30 pm »
In spite of Mr Biggs' warning I will continue shopping by bike although I packed up social rides over 2 weeks ago. It's a doddle with reduced traffic although I notice that many drivers feel they can now drive way over the speed limit on empty roads.

Although the roads and lanes around here in west Essex are much quieter, the car speeds have definitely increased to offset it. There were two incidents on my ride yesterday where evasive action was required. One turning right at a roundabout where an oncoming car was travelling too fast to stop and give way to me, And another incident on a lane where an oncoming driver was on my side of the road at a bend.

Extra care required.

« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:13:21 pm »
Aside from the fact some people are being twats this really reflects the UK attitude that cycling is for spandex warriors and that bikes aren't a proper form of transport.

As I can't get bog roll still I can fit most a weeks shopping on my bike and rucksack.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:26:10 pm »
French attitude too from what T42 says.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:30:32 pm »
“Best to avoid cycling in case you fall off” says director of motoring group

Biggs was unimpressed with the suggestion. Responding on Twitter, he wrote: “You can’t do much shopping on a bike – I am walking to local shops for essentials, not driving to large supermarkets.”

Then, for good measure, he added: “You’re only allowed out once a day for personal exercise – bike, walking or running. Best to avoid cycling in case you fall off and require medical assistance.”

Best avoid driving in case you run someone over.

« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2020, 01:31:04 pm »
Best avoid running and walking, in case you trip or go twist an ankle  ::-)

« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2020, 01:34:42 pm »

Although the roads and lanes around here in west Essex are much quieter, the car speeds have definitely increased to offset it. There were two incidents on my ride yesterday where evasive action was required. One turning right at a roundabout where an oncoming car was travelling too fast to stop and give way to me, And another incident on a lane where an oncoming driver was on my side of the road at a bend.

Extra care required.

Fewer cars, more twats.

« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2020, 01:44:50 pm »
Best avoid running and walking, in case you trip or go twist an ankle  ::-)
And don't walk down those stairs.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2020, 01:48:38 pm »
And in Mr Biggs's case - best not to open your mouth, in case you get a foot stuck in it.  And not necessarily your own foot.  Damn this 2 metre rule!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2020, 02:20:07 pm »
Don’t know what the rest of the country is doing, but if the weather is at all like it is round here, that should be enough to deter most cyclists from going out and breaking the rules.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2020, 02:31:50 pm »
And in Mr Biggs's case - best not to open your mouth, in case you get a foot stuck in it.  And not necessarily your own foot.  Damn this 2 metre rule!

Indeed!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #15 on: 29 March, 2020, 08:59:46 pm »

Extra care required.

Fewer cars, more twats.
I've not really noticed it (North Dorset). Then again, I've moved to riding on more major roads - often over half the ride is on A roads, and I even did 3 miles down the A303.

Logic being that I'd much rather being passed by somebody doing 100 on a dual carriageway (where I can be seen for miles), or 80 on a well sighted SC, than 60 on some minor road with a proliferation of blind bends. And it really seems to work - I didn't get any hassle on the 303, and minimal problems (one or two close passes and somebody coming the other way flashing like crazy) on the A30.

Davef

« Reply #16 on: 30 March, 2020, 09:18:03 am »
Don’t know who mr Biggs is but his suggestion of walking daily to the shops rather than driving once a week is the opposite of government advice. You should shop as infrequently as possible. We are shopping for 5 people once a week. It would not be practical by foot or bicycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:05:04 am »
I didn't get any hassle on the 303, and minimal problems (one or two close passes and somebody coming the other way flashing like crazy) on the A30.

Probably incensed that they saw you making an non-essential journey (while likely on a non-essential journey of their own)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 30 March, 2020, 12:36:55 pm »
One turning right at a roundabout where an oncoming car was travelling too fast to stop and give way to me
Round here, they don't generally give way to cyclists on roundabouts at any time.  Even in a car, when turning right at a mini-roundabout,  you generally have to stop and wait to be sure that oncoming cars really are going to stop*. It's a combination of overlooking tiny roundabouts thinking they're T-junctions, not knowing the rules and a bit of "f... you, I'm not stopping".

*you'd fail a driving test for undue hesitancy but you wouldn't lose your licence for it, and it's saved me a few times
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #19 on: 30 March, 2020, 01:30:05 pm »
1 km and not on a bike here - and although you're allowed to shop locally by bike, the peelers are liable to inspect your bag(s) and if there isn't enough shopping to make it credible they'll nab you.  In one town whose name I forget (natch) too many folk were doing multiple trips to the baker's and bringing back one croissant at a time, so the mayor slapped a 20-metre limit on them.

What's the rules in France for commuting to essential work that's further than1 km away, post-bike limitations detailed above? Car only or allowed by bike?

Asking for a friend...

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #20 on: 30 March, 2020, 07:01:29 pm »
As far as I understand it you can cycle to work but you need an "attestation" from the employer or proof that you are self employed and that you cant work from home. Along with the employers attestation you need a personal attestation signed, dated and time of departure.... Every day a new one... You can also cycle to shops but need to buy more than a croissant (with the duly completed form) You can download the forms from the government website...(gouvernement.fr)

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #21 on: 10 April, 2020, 07:55:37 pm »
No need to download the attestation, you can now complete it online & take a photo of the QR code it produces - just make sure phone battery has plenty charge for the trip. Gendarmerie can then scan the code & see the info.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste