Author Topic: Blackpool v Southend Utd.  (Read 3056 times)

Blackpool v Southend Utd.
« on: 07 March, 2019, 07:30:31 pm »
This Saturday I will be attending this League 1 fixture. Nothing remarkable about that except that it's my first Blackpool home game for nearly four seasons.I had been going to Bloomfield Rd from the age of eight and now i'm sixty five.The missing seasons have been in protest to the ownership of the club by the Oyston family who have now been relieved of ownership by a court appointed receiver.At the moment it's like a breath of fresh air, fans have been cleaning and generally sprucing up the ground for the return of lapsed supporters.So when, whilst your looking through the results pages of the Sunday papers you notice the Pool have gone from 3,000 to approx 13,000 you will see that it's been a great afternoon irrespective of the result. The EFL might deduct 12 points but we have enough points to retain our place in this division for next season.Thanks for reading this, I feel better getting it off my chest but feel EPIC that I'm going back to watch the Seasiders and good luck to fans of other clubs going through similar problems with owners and landlords.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Blackpool v Southend Utd.
« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2019, 09:39:34 pm »
Good luck with that! I live about 200 yards from Roots Hall, Southend's ground. Like many small clubs, Southend hasn't got a pot to piss in and is entirely owned by one individual, in this case Ron Martin, a man with a very interesting relationship with legality and finance. I would like to be able to support my local club, but the owner is such a PoS that I won't.

I went to a number of matches in Blackpool when I was at college at Poulton-le-Fylde. I wasn't there, sadly, but quite a few of my pals were, when Mick Walsh scored the Goal of the Century against Sunderland in (I think) 1974.

Correction: 1975!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnKBwYHAbE4
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:28:06 pm »
Er, wowbagger, or whoever you are.  You've pasted the link from your Venezuela thread.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:29:00 pm »
Er, wowbagger, or whoever you are.  You've pasted the link from your Venezuela thread.

Thank you Boris. Corrected now.

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:44:33 pm »
I live about 200 yards from Roots Hall, Southend's ground.
If I'd known that, I'd have dropped in for a cup of tea last Saturday ;D

I rode past both ways, going from Central station to visit a camp site we're using with Scouts this summer. On the way back, I rode through the crowds leaving the ground.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2019, 11:32:13 pm »
That's interesting. Which campsite?

I would imagine that Dez would have been pleased to see you but since Jan and I were in San Sebastian, you would have missed us.

« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2019, 07:54:31 am »
Belchamps out at Hockley.

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2019, 07:18:51 pm »
Thanks Mr Wow. Yes I was at the Sunderland game in 1975. Mickey Walsh was yet another of those players clubs like Blackpool have let slip between their fingers.  I believe he now lives in the USA. I live in Poulton le Fylde close to the old teacher training college which is now our Doctors and used by the local council as offices, so it is in top notch condition building and garden wise. I have been down to Bloomfield Rd today cleaning pigeon muck of seats that haven't been sat on for 5 years.I just hope the game is a good advert for BFC and good luck to Southend in the future.

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2019, 08:45:55 pm »
I'll be interested to see what the effect of the end of the Oyston boycott has on Fleetwood and AFC Fylde.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #9 on: 08 March, 2019, 11:53:20 pm »
Thanks Mr Wow. Yes I was at the Sunderland game in 1975. Mickey Walsh was yet another of those players clubs like Blackpool have let slip between their fingers.  I believe he now lives in the USA. I live in Poulton le Fylde close to the old teacher training college which is now our Doctors and used by the local council as offices, so it is in top notch condition building and garden wise. I have been down to Bloomfield Rd today cleaning pigeon muck of seats that haven't been sat on for 5 years.I just hope the game is a good advert for BFC and good luck to Southend in the future.

Apart from 1 week in B & B accommodation somewhere out towards the Hodgson school, Taywood Close, I believe, I had just two addresses at college: 27, Elletson Street, where I lived with 10 other blokes for 2 years. It was the nearest thing our college had to a Hall of Residence. After that, for 1 year, I lived at 63, Station Road.

Happy days.

« Reply #10 on: 10 March, 2019, 05:48:25 pm »
I see Blackpool scraped a draw with an own goal from Southend in the 6th minute of injury time  ;D
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #11 on: 10 March, 2019, 06:57:38 pm »
More than 15000 attendees! That's impressive.

« Reply #12 on: 11 March, 2019, 07:08:51 pm »
Yes Southend played their part in an afternoon that will linger long in the memory and were worthy of a point. A draw was a fair result. Things carry on with another home game against Doncaster Rovers tomorrow night. Elletson St and Station Rd Poulton are both on my dog walking routes.Must have been a bit of a squeeze with 10 men in one of the houses on Elletson St.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #13 on: 11 March, 2019, 07:37:51 pm »
https://goo.gl/maps/7WDArZkyjHx

"The Annexe." 27, Elletson Street, the entire first floor of that building. There were 3 single rooms and 4 twins. My room was immediately to the left of the stained glass window. i shared with My Mate Terry Who Art In Sibton. That room had the unusual idiosyncrasy in that there was a small hole in one of our curtains and it turned the entire room into a gigantic pin-hole camera, creating an inverted image of the house across the road onto the wall above my bed when the sun shone particularly strongly.

« Reply #14 on: 12 March, 2019, 03:48:12 pm »
Know the house now.The other houses on that side of the street are 3-4 bed terraced. Your digs are at the moment offices of a medical company and the house across the street has until recently been a call centre,now a conversion has changed its use to a block of flats.50 m to the station has made that little area prime for commuters to Preston and beyond. In fact a house for sale round the corner in the estate agents blurb quoted the time taken to travel to that there London. But one place that remains the same is the Thatched House pub.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #15 on: 12 March, 2019, 10:06:32 pm »
When I went to college in the 1970s there was a direct service from Blackpool to London that stopped at Poulton. Corridor trains. There were very few of us from SE England who travelled all that way. Me, a girl from Kent and a bloke from Sussex was about it. We quite often met at Euston and travelled up together. Not many people bothered to reserve seats in those days.

The vast majority of students were from Lancs, Yorks Manchester & Merseyside, with a few Geordies and Co Durham types as well. It was a bit like learning a new language for an effete southerner like me.