Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814037 times)

Phil W

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23075 on: 06 April, 2020, 11:25:22 am »
london is quiet these days, interesting to experience it from a different perspective. it feels like a personal playground

That must be quite an experience, only ever having ridden in London when it is in full congestion mode, when going between railway stations. I ride in the lanes as they are only 5 mins away, and pictures of the lanes look as they always do, empty.

S2L

« Reply #23076 on: 06 April, 2020, 11:45:06 am »
6 AM on a Sunday morning in the heart of the financial City looks like that even without the Corona Virus

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23077 on: 06 April, 2020, 12:21:29 pm »
6 AM on a Sunday morning in the heart of the financial City looks like that even without the Corona Virus

it would still be fairly busy with buses, cabs, maintenance and service vans, utility vehicles, construction traffic, tourists - london never sleeps..

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #23078 on: 06 April, 2020, 12:34:36 pm »
You also get speed racer scum just roaming around for fun at all times of day. As many who've done a 400 or 600 can tell you!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

rob

« Reply #23079 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:16:22 pm »
When I ride North on DIYs I like to go through the City 3/4am.  A lot of walks of shame going on.

« Reply #23080 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:58:31 pm »

it would still be fairly busy with buses, cabs, maintenance and service vans, utility vehicles, construction traffic, tourists - london never sleeps..

Yes it does, I spent a week stuck in a city centre hotel on a training course. Try and find a bar open at 10:30 on a weeknight without travelling for miles, no bloody chance. Ended up using deliveroo for food and it came from miles away.

To paraphase Mark Steel, it was easier to get a late drink in prohibition America than it is in London now.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #23081 on: 06 April, 2020, 02:31:26 pm »
Yeah, wander round the City on a Saturday afternoon (before The Event) and beyond a few thoroughfares it would be completely empty - no cabs, deliveries or service vehicles when there's no one in the office.

It's the West End that's eerily empty. Even early on Xmas day when it's meant to dead, it was much busier.

« Reply #23082 on: 06 April, 2020, 07:24:14 pm »
I have a wife, daughter and son in law who are in the at risk category for a variety of reasons.  For what it's worth, I suggest a few key principles to keep in mind:

- whatever we do, should prioritise the needs of the many (thank you Spock)

- there is clear advice available - avoid social contract, wash hands, and minimise risk

- daily exercise or local walking / cycling helps physical and mental health

And as a few previous posters have suggested, cyclists are an easy target, especially when things get even more difficult.  Which they will.  So it may be a good idea to keep under the radar as far as possible.

Keep safe and take care.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #23083 on: 06 April, 2020, 08:26:25 pm »
28km on the lanes ne of slough. First ride since the last ride I posted on here. Ave 13.5 km
 Despite a few short climbs. I'm riding down hill on the narrow lanes very carefully on the sun ez3 as the road surfaces are in a awful condition with some deep potholes in places.
the slower you go the more you see

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23084 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:39:07 pm »
Yes I have been out today, and yesterday, and... BUT I'm not telling you how far, in case some people moan. ;)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #23085 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:43:02 pm »
Not been out today. I will bank my mileage and save it up for Saturday for a big splurge.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

rob

« Reply #23086 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:57:53 pm »
It’s amazing how divisive this has become.  This is the first time in my life I have had so much debate with fellow cyclists.  I have just had a run in with someone from my club on the WhatsApp group who described me as selfish and irresponsible and that he’s glad there aren’t more people like me.  I actually started by defending someone else who was still going out for the odd ride.  Doubt I’ll ride in club colours again.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23087 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:00:42 pm »
Went out for a 40k loop with Junior the Elder.
He wanted to do a faster ride ( he's in training for an IM that probably won't happen ).

Brutal headwind out, flying back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3262572300

« Reply #23088 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:02:10 pm »
The issue for me is that if I'm more than a certain distance from home (I've settled on a loop of around 5k) and I was to be involved in any kind of accident or have a serious mechanical, I would be needing help, and I personally would be uncomfortable in asking for that help at this moment in time.

I agree, but everyone will have different answers. If you were stopped by police, or had to be picked up by an ambulance, could you look them in the eye and claim that your activity was reasonable?
For some, 5 km. is reasonable,for others it may be more.

In North Yorkshire,were fairly lucky in being able to bimble about and hardly see anyone else on the road.

So, yes I have been out today. Did my regular 15 mile loop. Done regularly my fitness mojo has been returning until the world stood upside down.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23089 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:03:36 pm »
It’s amazing how divisive this has become.  This is the first time in my life I have had so much debate with fellow cyclists.  I have just had a run in with someone from my club on the WhatsApp group who described me as selfish and irresponsible and that he’s glad there aren’t more people like me.  I actually started by defending someone else who was still going out for the odd ride.  Doubt I’ll ride in club colours again.

I had the same on our club FB page yesterday.
I could see that my posts, though polite, were becoming terse and were heading towards non-excellence, so I butted out having said all I wanted to say.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23090 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:10:27 pm »
MAYBE     This thread should be locked until after lockdown ends??

« Reply #23091 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:17:02 pm »
london is quiet these days, interesting to experience it from a different perspective. it feels like a personal playground.

Some excellent and enviable pics, Rimas. :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23092 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:27:56 pm »

it's best to not to get involved, any reasoning will go over their heads..

out of curiosity, just checked my time outside (total, including once a week trip for groceries) - only 1h35min/day last week and 1h10min/day the week before, averaged out. the rest of time - over 22hrs/day - confined within four walls. still, have been told off by the righteous for my "misbehaviour" (it wasn't received, btw) ::-)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23093 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:43:11 pm »

Some excellent and enviable pics, Rimas.

cheers, here's one from today's run (time outside 20min, for the yacf bobbies)

S2L

« Reply #23094 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:58:13 am »

The thing is, as I said earlier, some have beautiful and expensive turbo setups, that do the job of simulating riding a bike very well... in fact you can also race and do all sorts of virtual social things, with your pseudo-friends.
Others like me don't have that budget and right now don't even have the opportunity to buy a turbo trainer, as there isn't any available, nothing at all. So all we can do is to follow the Government guidelines, which seems a good starting point.

When times are hard, those "who have" should keep their mouth shut, because there are plenty of others "who haven't".
For example, I have the luxury of being able to work from home and earn my full wage, others don't have that luxury, but I don't go around shouting how selfish they are to hit the roads and head to work, because they do what they can, as we all do.

« Reply #23095 on: 07 April, 2020, 08:37:29 am »
london is quiet these days, interesting to experience it from a different perspective. it feels like a personal playground.

If I lived in London I would be all over that. Looks wonderful.

It does. Years ago before 7/7 shopping I used to put my bike on the train on Sunday and go to London. It was a treat to cycle round the empty streets. I can see the streetscape has changed a lot since then.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #23096 on: 07 April, 2020, 08:42:35 am »
First outing on Zwift yesterday. It's really hard. I was 231st on the first sprint and lost 2 places on the next. I thought I was fit :o
Move Faster and Bake Things

Phil W

« Reply #23097 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:01:57 am »

Some excellent and enviable pics, Rimas.

cheers, here's one from today's run (time outside 20min, for the yacf bobbies)

Almost makes me want to get out for sunrise, almost...

« Reply #23098 on: 07 April, 2020, 10:11:22 am »
Hi S2l I was touring in Andalucía, when the lockdown was enforced.  Spain just shut everything down overnight. Ordered a turbo as i knew what might happen so don't moan about people with turbo trainers. Cycling is like any other sport some spend lots. Remember the best bike is the one you're sitting on. The problem is some people can't change, exercise or is it your normal run?

« Reply #23099 on: 07 April, 2020, 11:39:02 am »
MAYBE     This thread should be locked until after lockdown ends??

I don't think so. This place in general is pretty good at self policing. Those of us that disagree with other will just remove ourselves from the conversation. It's not POBI after all.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)