Author Topic: Post-ride crash (of the emotional kind)  (Read 2567 times)

Post-ride crash (of the emotional kind)
« on: 07 April, 2008, 12:34:02 pm »
I am feeling sufficiently Not Quite The Thing today that I ended up excusing myself from my seminar at college.  This was partly due to some stuff that came up in the lecture which pushed some buttons for me, but my reaction seemed (to me) a bit excessive.

Do other people find that they get an emotional crash a couple of days after a long ride?  I did a DIY 300 on Saturday, which went well, but it was a very long day. 

I'm not sure this has ever happened to me before - although it might be that I've previously put it down to tiredness.  Indeed, that might be the problem here (I was up for 22.5hrs, 20 of 'em on the bike/at controls; and then only got 5 hrs sleep before it was time for the annual Glastonbury Ticket StressFest).  But I also wondered if there might be a cousin to "Tuesday blues" (which is what happens 3 days after you have taken things (ahem) which deplete your serotonin levels). 

Julian

• samoture
Re: Post-ride crash (of the emotional kind)
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2008, 12:41:20 pm »
Yes.  Crashed quite significantly after the Invicta 300 and 400 last year.  Only remedy is another long ride.  :D

Edit:  it's not that uncommon; there was a discussion of it here.

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2008, 02:39:10 pm »
Aha, that was the discussion I was vaguely remembering.  Thanks for finding it!

It's just a bit odd as I don't think I've suffered from it before.  I strongly suspect that on previous occasions I've just been better at getting sleeeeeeep in sufficient quantities immediately afterwards.

« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2008, 03:40:16 pm »
Aha, that was the discussion I was vaguely remembering.  Thanks for finding it!

It's just a bit odd as I don't think I've suffered from it before.  I strongly suspect that on previous occasions I've just been better at getting sleeeeeeep in sufficient quantities immediately afterwards.

Not at all surprising ime.

(to speculate..) I'm guessing you had a significant emotional investment in the weekend, DIY 300K in bad weather (well it was horrid where I was!), then the ticket malarkey, why would you be surprised at an emotional low after such a high?

Bit of a hobby-horse of mine, but do think we should be more prepared to cut ourselves some slack - it's Ok & expected to be down sometimes, in fact a good human quality
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'