Author Topic: Nitto product names  (Read 1668 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Nitto product names
« on: 08 September, 2018, 10:41:21 am »
On the one hand, we have the Grand Randonneur bars, the Jaguar seatpost and the Dynamic stem.

On the other, we have the Young stem and Crystal Fellow seatpost.

Do you think the Nitto marketing team only smoke crack once a week?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Nitto product names
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2018, 05:47:42 pm »
Japanese crack houses are over subscribed by the marketing departments of companies that make consumer goods. You have to book a session weeks in advance.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2018, 06:48:59 pm »
Nissan used to use them heavily, hence the Cedric, Laurel and Silvia.  The Cherry was marginal, too.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2018, 08:01:21 am »
I think it’s a cultural thing. At uni, I shared a flat with a student whose father worked in Japan, he used to bring back T shirts with nonsensicle English phrases on them, explaining that the Japanese loved to see English words, even they had no idea what they meant. And I think it’s the same with brand names; as long as it’s an English word that looks sort of nice, it will work as a brand. My favourite was the Toyota Carina, and as every medic knows, the carina is the place in your lungs where the windpipe divides into two.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2018, 10:21:56 am »
It works the other way too, with Japanese words, or at least characters, on Western products. Motorbikers of the 80s and 90s were plastered with them without having a clue what, if anything, they meant. See also the tendency for British cycle-things to be given Italian-sounding names.

Cedric was supposedly the most popular men's name in Australia at the time, Australia being Nissan's prime export market back then.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2018, 12:43:42 pm »
I think it’s a cultural thing. At uni, I shared a flat with a student whose father worked in Japan, he used to bring back T shirts with nonsensicle English phrases on them, explaining that the Japanese loved to see English words, even they had no idea what they meant. And I think it’s the same with brand names; as long as it’s an English word that looks sort of nice, it will work as a brand. My favourite was the Toyota Carina, and as every medic knows, the carina is the place in your lungs where the windpipe divides into two.

It's Latin for "keel", and used in anatomy for anything keel shaped, the human wind pipe is one of many Carinas.
One of the southern constellations is the Carina, previously combined with 2 others forming Jason's ship.

I'm bored and looked that all up on wikitrivikia

I used to think VW named their cars after sports...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2018, 01:32:53 pm »
Hence careen (a ship). It's a rare day you don't learn something on YACF.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.