Author Topic: White ENO Eccentric Hub  (Read 18150 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Re: White ENO Eccentric Hub
« Reply #25 on: 11 February, 2012, 05:24:14 pm »
I tried that too.
Slackness no matter what, then?

YA J R "Bob" Dodds AICMFP ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #26 on: 11 February, 2012, 05:29:24 pm »
It's that bottom-bracket breaking power!

Roger must have been a Catholic priest in a former life.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 11 February, 2012, 05:44:49 pm »
ISTR you were a choirboy  :smug:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #28 on: 11 February, 2012, 05:48:20 pm »
Not me, gov. Botty intact.

I think you might be confusing me with Bobb.

« Reply #29 on: 13 February, 2012, 06:47:30 pm »
On closer inspection, I see that the chainline is different for each side of the hub. 43mm for the fixed side and 47.5 on the freewheel.

Baffling  ???

Also seems to rule out using the Record double

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 13 February, 2012, 07:11:24 pm »
I also thought that was odd, but on the one occasion that I flipped the hub and rode it down the road on a freewheel (illegal; no rear brake) it seemed to work fine.  Freewheels are usually wobbly enough to tolerate a bad chainline.

Bear in mind that the quoted chainline is probably wrong anyway; mine was much wider than 43mm on fixed, but not as wide as 43mm *plus* sprocket would be (50mm or so).  Maybe the current model really is aimed at 50mm to match HT2 cranks?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #31 on: 13 February, 2012, 07:20:34 pm »
Well I haz a nice sleek black 32h DT Swiss rim, but a matching black hub won't be here for another month. I suppose a sensible way to proceed would be to measure the rear chainline then fit a suitable crankset. I have a Truvativ track c/set, so roughly 42mm chainline, but no scope for BB adjustment as it is external. Could fit spacers to the ring I suppose. It seems the Record double is out of the equation as I think the outer ring gives a 46mm chainline, so the inner will be way less with no way of moving it out. Unless anybody knows a way? I've never done anything like this before so have very limited knowledge.

« Reply #32 on: 17 February, 2012, 01:22:02 pm »
I think I may invest in one of these (funds permitting) - thinking being that once bought, any bike you have is fixable. So if you always seem to end up with a spare bike that you  can't sell it can be fixed.

The parts alone would probably pay for it (Brifters in particular). Get a 135 as well and then you open up the MTB world as well

« Reply #33 on: 22 February, 2012, 01:14:08 am »
I've got one of the older hubs with normal fix/free threading (135mm).
I've had no problems with it moving out of adjustment, other than having to hold it still with a small adjustable when tightening the bolts. My chainstay/chain length was such that the axle positioned in the lower rear quadrant, where rider weight or pothole impact would tend to tighten the chain. Length adjustment was occasional rather than frequent (every two months (ish), or on puncture).
Chainline was right with the chainring on the middle ring position of a Stronglight Impact chainset.

« Reply #34 on: 03 April, 2012, 11:04:47 pm »
Well, after several months of faff, I hope to have one in my hands pretty soon. Black ones are hard to come by it seems. Have a DT rim all ready.

Chris N

« Reply #35 on: 27 November, 2013, 04:28:20 pm »
Did you get one in the end?  What do you think of it?  Thinking about fixing my Ti race frame and regardless of what I said about magic gears upthread, they're not really up to the job - so some kind of eccentric might be on the list.

« Reply #36 on: 27 November, 2013, 05:32:36 pm »
Yes I did and it is brilliant.

Very easy to adjust. You have to do the bolts up nice and tight. Incredibly smooth bearings and I reckon very much better quality than Goldtec (which I don't rate).

Shop around

As for the Trek itself, I used a Campag record double with a different length Bb ( can't remember which, but I worked it all out..,durrr, perfect chain line but chain wheel (velosolo single mounted on inner position) just clears the chain stay.  The fact that the frame is featherlight carbon means I can get away with 48x16, ie a tooth or two smaller than normal.

It is my favorite bike and a phenomenal ride.

Chris N

« Reply #37 on: 27 November, 2013, 09:30:17 pm »
Ta.  Sounds promising.  Hubjub seems cheapest, though I might be able to get one from the US.

« Reply #38 on: 05 February, 2020, 07:51:33 pm »
Jeez....was it really 7 years ago  :o

Anyway frame and hub are still going and it is my favourite bike by a fucking mile. Such fun. I dont know why people are riding round on heavy lumps of steel, I really dont.

Chris N

« Reply #39 on: 02 March, 2020, 12:43:59 pm »
Hah.  I did get one - second hand from LFGSS, I think.  It was stolen only a few months after I got it (along with the bike it was fitted too, and all my other bikes...) so I replaced it with an even heavier lump of steel. :thumbsup:

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #40 on: 02 March, 2020, 12:56:02 pm »
... why couldn't I have known about this before this looks flipping ace  :facepalm:

Could have used my first Boardman as the town bike!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.