Author Topic: What lubricant to use on a clockwork mechanism  (Read 4125 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
What lubricant to use on a clockwork mechanism
« on: 17 July, 2017, 12:50:17 am »
Have taken the sticky timer out of my dualit and want to lubricate it.

What oil/grease should be used do think?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What lubricant to use on a clockwork mechanism
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2017, 08:53:02 am »
None that you can buy in Halford's. Even grandfather clocks with big, robust brass movements take very fine watchmaker's oil.  You can either ask a jeweller or take a lucky dip on eBay.  There are special applicators, too, but a needle would probably do it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:36:17 pm »
Reading up on the interpron seems to say wd40 or 3in1 some even say soak in meths for half an hour.  I was thinking sewing machine oil myself.

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2017, 02:24:19 pm »
I reckon graphite powder might be your friend - as is used on locks - the likes of WD 40 and sewing machine oil, I would suspect, are likely to be affected by the heat your Dualit generates.
Why is it sticking? I've had mine for 26 years and it has never stuck - the only thing I've done with mine is to mount it on rubber grommets to get it to run a bit quieter / resonate less with the metal.
I don't like noise in the morning....

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2017, 03:18:21 pm »
I'd never use WD40 as a lubricant. It dries out and attracts dust and clogs up the works.As my Grandfather found out when using it to lubricate a clock.  3 in 1 is a bit heavy IMO.  Graphite or sewing machine oil I'd say.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2017, 07:38:34 pm »
I reckon graphite powder might be your friend - as is used on locks - the likes of WD 40 and sewing machine oil, I would suspect, are likely to be affected by the heat your Dualit generates.
Why is it sticking? I've had mine for 26 years and it has never stuck - the only thing I've done with mine is to mount it on rubber grommets to get it to run a bit quieter / resonate less with the metal.
I don't like noise in the morning....

Older dualits are better built.  This is a modern one the timing clockwork mech isn't as good.  Hence becoming sticky, and no longer turning the toaster off, and needing to be supervised.

I'd never use WD40 as a lubricant. It dries out and attracts dust and clogs up the works.As my Grandfather found out when using it to lubricate a clock.  3 in 1 is a bit heavy IMO.  Graphite or sewing machine oil I'd say.

Not a fan of wd40, have had to clean that stuff out of lots motorbike switchgear.  But people believe it is the savior along with duct tape....

As Jurek says, something that won't be affected by the heat or be flammable.

« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2017, 07:11:28 pm »
Light machine oil is reasonable for clockwork mechanism, used sparingly by proper dropper, sewing machine oil is similar. I often use lighter fluid to clean, as it seems to flush better than acetone, alcohol etc.

If you are ever up town https://www.hswalsh.com/ 100ml of clock oil is £3.50, they have oilers too

« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2017, 08:54:30 pm »
if you can lay your hands on it some fully synthetic light grade oil might be the thing; this oil is designed  to be chemically stable i.e. not to degrade or polymerise etc so should not gum up etc as quickly as some others.

A 5W synthetic shock absorber/hydraulic oil might be just the job.

cheers

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #8 on: 29 July, 2017, 08:17:02 am »
if you can lay your hands on it some fully synthetic light grade oil might be the thing; this oil is designed  to be chemically stable i.e. not to degrade or polymerise etc so should not gum up etc as quickly as some others.

A 5W synthetic shock absorber/hydraulic oil might be just the job.

cheers

You can get this in small quantities from models shops selling radio control cars - it's used in the suspension dampers.  I use it to lubricate the internal O ring seals in my pneumatic undercarriage systems in my model aircraft.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2017, 10:32:29 am »
Have looked on a few forums and there is a mention of wd40, and then motor oil.  No idea, am going to speak to a watch repairer.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2017, 11:44:28 am »
Absolutely not WD-40.  Once the solvent has evaporated you end up with sticky waxy goop guaranteed to clog the whole thing up.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2017, 12:46:20 pm »
Absolutely not WD-40.  Once the solvent has evaporated you end up with sticky waxy goop guaranteed to clog the whole thing up.

I know, hence not using it.  I use WD as a water dispersant.