Author Topic: Offbeat Paris  (Read 7559 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Offbeat Paris
« on: 10 January, 2009, 10:09:34 am »
Easter this year will see me and my wife travelling to Paris for a three night break.  Our travel is sorted (Eurostar), as is our accommodation.

We want to see the bits of Paris that tourists normally miss and do stuff that's a bit off beat.  We also want to discover the city's best kept secrets. 

What should we do, where should we go, and which are the best places to eat?  Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Offbeat Paris
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2009, 11:43:10 am »
VERY Creepy and you can't get much more "off beat" - the Paris Catacombs

or the official guide

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2009, 11:48:07 am »
The Pantheon is a bit out of the way and worth seeing.

For parks, the Parc des Buttes-Chaumont is worth making the numerous Metro changes.  Our daughters have decided the translation is "Park Of The Chiming Butts".

If you go to Montmartre, use Abbesses metro - as well as featuring in "Amelie", it's the deepest.  If you've ever taken the stairs at Borough on the Northern Line, it's a bit like that but 1000% less skanky.

For eating try "Julien".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2009, 12:00:21 pm »
My first suggestion is that you buy a four day travel pass.  Then try to travel every where by bus.  It doesn't matter if you get the wrong bus - you've got a pass - just jump off and jump on another one.  You'll buy the pass at the Gare du Nord as you arrive.  (Don't forget to ask for a bus map)
The pass is for the metro as well but only use the metro for when you need to be somewhere quickly.

Try the Flea Market at the Porte de Clignancourt.  Beware that visit will be at least half a day.

The Rodin museum is good.

Get a good meal at lunch time.  Most bars and cafes offer really good value set lunches.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2009, 06:22:48 pm »
Mrs Nutty went up the Montparnasse tower last time she went, and that gave good views.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2009, 10:05:55 pm »
Yup that write up sums it up very nicely now I really want to go there again, probably the best fun I have had in the 3 years I lived there. If you want I can hook you up with a guide :) Here is some pictures from my trips.

But as others said, Tour de Montparnasse (best views) and the flea market and do look out for a restaurant called Chez Papa (there are a few around) where the staff is "give us a second chance" young lads and ladettes, service is sometime not so good, but always very busy but above all top quality food, yum yum.

And the best tip I can give to any traveller is to go and get lost and then find your way back home :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2009, 10:55:32 pm »
What Basil said, the Rodin museum is quite good. I liked the Picasso museum, too.

RainOrShine

« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2009, 12:38:07 pm »
We found the Institute du Monde Arabe (rue des Fosses Saint-Bernard) an unexpected and fascinating museum, from the many intricately-engineered Arab and Middle Eastern artifacts, to the walls made of little windows with irises that open and close in accordance with the sunlight.  Plus the rooftop cafe has good views over the river and city.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2009, 05:22:42 pm »

or the official guide

Slap your hand!  Photography is not permitted in the catacombs....  >:(

;D

But I agree - they're a great place to visit.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2009, 05:31:51 pm »
We went on one of the walking tours, which have English guides.
I can't remember the name of the company, but they give out leaflets at the tourist information etc.
We went on a tour of the Marais district, which was great. The guide took us into the courtyard of a house, and ran through the history of what had gone on there.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2009, 05:44:56 pm »
Not a place to eat but Mrs LWaB and I found this to be really interesting, certainly offbeat.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2009, 05:54:54 pm »
We went on one of the walking tours, which have English guides.
I can't remember the name of the company, but they give out leaflets at the tourist information etc.
We went on a tour of the Marais district, which was great. The guide took us into the courtyard of a house, and ran through the history of what had gone on there.

That sounds good.  We are staying in the Marais district.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  Keep them coming.

« Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:38:50 pm »
This may happen mainly in the summer, but in the evenings, the Pont des Arts will sometimes just fill up with people having picnics. There's often musicians, astists etc.

Get yourself some baggettes, vin et fromages and chill out.  :D

I wish we had when we were there - we didn't find out about it until we crossed it when walking back from a resturant
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2009, 10:42:57 pm »

or the official guide

Slap your hand!  Photography is not permitted in the catacombs....  >:(

;D

But I agree - they're a great place to visit.

That's why I nicked one from a website!

(Is that more or less dishonest?)

« Reply #14 on: 13 January, 2009, 08:30:46 am »
A couple of places to eat:

Le P'tit Troquet

http://community.iexplore.com/planning/journalEntryDining.asp?JournalID=45670&EntryID=27244&n=Le+P%27tit+Troquet

This place is TINY. Just a little front room, cafe shop type affair, which becomes a restaurant at night. I think it's recommended in one of the big American travel guides, and so is popular with our cousins from over the pond. Don't let that put you off though, I didn't know that at the time we visited, and didn't notice it during our evening. The hostess is wonderfully friendly, and the food very good (am a bit nervous recomending food, I'm no Michelin inspector). I shall go back when I'm next in Paris.

Chez l'Ami Jean

Chez l'Ami Jean | Restaurant Review | Paris | Frommers.com

I read some excellent reviews and recommendations for this place, but didn't get a chance to make a reservation. We popped in one evening to see if they could squeeze us in and there was just NO CHANCE. The place was chokka, which I took to be a good sign. Atmosphere seemed very "French", not touristy (although we were only in there for a couple of minutes). It was lively and animated, with people enjoying their food and good company, and not standing on ceremony as you might get in a formal posh restaurant. Now I obviously can't give an opinion on the food, but this one will be high on my list next time I'm there.

Also, it won't exactly be warm when you visit in Easter, but you should try the ice cream:

Berthillon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I quite like the forums at TripAdvisor, and often browse those for opinions and info before I visit a new city. See if there's anything here for you:

Paris forum: * * Paris Research Tips * * - TripAdvisor

Paris Forum - TripAdvisor

I was tempted to give these bike tour people a try, but didn't get around to it. Might be nice to pedal around Paris, with a guide who knows the city:

http://fattirebiketours.com/paris/tours

Don't forget, you have to buy a Peugeot pepper mill when you're there. It's the law.

Regulator

« Reply #15 on: 13 January, 2009, 12:30:19 pm »
I agree with Gruff.  Before going anywhere, and in particular before booking a hotel, I always check out Trip Advisor - it's a great site... a veritable mine of information.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16 on: 13 January, 2009, 02:11:01 pm »
I agree with Gruff.  Before going anywhere, and in particular before booking a hotel, I always check out Trip Advisor - it's a great site... a veritable mine of information.

Thanks, we will check out Trip Advisor.

We are staying here.  We found it on the Alistair Sawday site which has our recommendation (so far at least).  His guide books are good too.

Regulator

« Reply #17 on: 13 January, 2009, 02:13:50 pm »

We are staying here.  We found it on the Alistair Sawday site which has our recommendation (so far at least).  His guide books are good too.

If Alistair Sawday likes it - then it'll be great.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18 on: 13 January, 2009, 02:16:47 pm »

If Alistair Sawday likes it - then it'll be great.

This will be our third or fouth Sawday recommendation.  So far he has been peerless. 

We now have his pub and B&B books are we shall be working our way through them.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #19 on: 13 January, 2009, 03:01:07 pm »
I did a Fatbike tour in Berlin and can heartily recommend. :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 13 January, 2009, 03:39:34 pm »
If you like beer I'd recommend 'La Pinte' at Odeon.

The beer is served out of urinals (not the same ones the customers use thankfully). Lots of Belgian stuff and a huge beer menu.

Watch the Kriek cherry beer it's lethal (god knows how I got back to my hotel)
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Oscar's dad

« Reply #21 on: 13 January, 2009, 03:49:08 pm »

The beer is served out of urinals (not the same ones the customers use thankfully). Lots of Belgian stuff and a huge beer menu.

Great suggestion, will definitely go.  The Current Mrs R doesn't like most beers but does like cherry beer.  Beer from urinals has to be seen!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #22 on: 07 April, 2009, 06:44:24 pm »

We're off to Paris on Friday, can't wait.  The recent reviews of La Pinte seem disappointing.  Has anyone been here recently?

« Reply #23 on: 08 April, 2009, 04:35:17 am »
If you're a fan of The Doors, there's always Jim Morrison's grave at Père Lachaise Cemetery. If not, there are plenty of other historical figures buried there.

Regulator

« Reply #24 on: 08 April, 2009, 08:53:28 am »
I can suggest a few offbeat places where you'd be welcome in tight lycra.... but you might not want to take Mrs OD.   ;) ;D

Green Party Councillor