Author Topic: Aftermarket batteries for dSLR  (Read 1624 times)

Aftermarket batteries for dSLR
« on: 06 June, 2009, 11:15:45 am »
I already have one genuine Sony NP FM500H spare battery but I'm thinking that two batteries may not be enough for three weeks in Orkney.   Looking around the genuine 1650mAh jobbies can be had for about £40 though the same vendor can do me a no name 1700mAh version for half that price.     

It says it has a 1 year warranty but that doesn't necessarily cover any damage to my dSLR.   Should I risk it or just buy the genuine article?   

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Aftermarket batteries for dSLR
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2009, 11:23:01 am »
Find out which one is the most ethical and buy that one.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2009, 11:29:55 am »
Wouldn't be surprised if they roll out of the same factory. 

Rob S

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2009, 11:51:02 am »
I'd go to the Sony section of the forums at DPReview for advice.

I think the most likely problem is that it will have a life of fewer charge cycles.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2009, 12:07:39 pm »
An unbranded or made-up-name battery may have lower-than-advertised capacity, but is highly unlikely to damage your camera.

eBay
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2009, 06:40:34 pm »
I bought a cheap battery for my Nikon D80. It's branded "uniross". In use, there's no difference in capacity between it and the genuine battery.

If it survives fewer charge cycles that will be no great problem, but they still both show the same capacity.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2009, 06:43:38 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance chaps.  I've ordered one from fleabay.  Apparently UK tested 1800mAh for less than £15.   Gotta be worth a punt.

« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2009, 07:41:44 pm »
I have a Uniross one too for my Olympus. No difference between it and the genuine one.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Rob S

« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2009, 09:38:36 pm »
I suppose that genuine Sony batteries also have chips in them for accurate 'remaining power' timer display.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2009, 12:47:37 pm »
Update:   The remaining power display is erratic to say the least.   Also, the battery never stops charging on the Sony charger.   The genuine Sony items take an hour or so then a further hour with the light off.   The light never goes off with the cheapo one.

Not sure how long it lasts yet either.