Author Topic: a recommended cheapo digi snapper  (Read 2065 times)

Martin

a recommended cheapo digi snapper
« on: 21 July, 2010, 10:45:23 pm »
if you are blind like me and like a viewfinder rather than just a screen to compose your photos you'll be hard pressed to find anything these days.

I was lucky enough to pick up a cheap 2nd hand Vivitar with one a couple of years ago and very impressive it is too; check my photos in This Parish taken with it (BTW the viewfinder also zooms in with the optical zoom; and a nice feature is you can turn off the digi zoom so you are not pixelating your photos to hell and back)

well it fell off the table with the lens out a few days ago and died. Forlornly looking through ebay for another I happened upon this, the exact same model badged as Acer; and also brand new and cheaper than I paid. There's 6 left better be quick

ACER CE-5330 Digital Camera 5.0 MP UNUSED! on eBay (end time  10-Aug-10 17:49:34 BST)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: a recommended cheapo digi snapper
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2010, 10:58:50 pm »
...and that is pretty much *exactly* what I've been looking for, at a price where I really don't have to worry about it getting wet / dropping it / etc.

5 left, better be quick :)

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2010, 11:08:05 pm »
you noticed it has no usb cable; it's quite a small one but readily obtainable; otherwise just get one of those £2.99 or less card readers

and the connection software can be downloaded from the Vivitar website (I have a disk if you have problems)

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2010, 11:11:42 pm »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2010, 11:19:34 pm »
you noticed it has no usb cable; it's quite a small one but readily obtainable; otherwise just get one of those £2.99 or less card readers

Thanks,

While I undoubtedly have the appropriate cable in one of my boxes of Random Cables That Might Come In Useful, I generally just use a SD card reader for transferring photos, as my existing camera (which is bulky and I'm reluctant to carry around on a bike) doesn't have the decency to appear as a generic USB-storage device, and I'm using a Linux OS.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2010, 04:24:47 pm »
Arrived this morning.  Initial impressions are that it's reasonably small and lightweight, nice sensible physical design with all the buttons in sane places.  The optical viewfinder's a bit of a squint, but I find that I'm using those increasingly less these days.  I'm left-eye-dominant, and much prefer the viewfinder on the left side of the camera, which is good.  The LCD screen is pretty good, with a setting to adjust the backlight level.  The USB/power sockets aren't protected by anything, but the batteries and card slot are behind a reassuringly solid cover taht seems inclined to stay closed.  There's a loop to attach a lanyard.

The photo quality isn't a patch on my Canon point-and-shoot, mainly due to sensor noise.  The optics seem reasonable.  If you shoot at full resolution and scale the image down a bit to eliminate sensor noise, it's decent enough - much much better than a mobile phone camera.  The flash works about as well as you'd expect.  Major niggle so far is that you have to go poking around in a menu to put it into macro mode, and the flash on/off/red-eye/auto button brings up a menu rather than just toggling mode.  For a cheapo camera it seems pretty good at shooting off photos back-to-back in burst mode, managing about 1 per second.  It also has an auto exposure bracketing mode, which is nice.

It didn't like the 4gig SDHC card I had lying around, but I dug out a 1gig SD card and it's happy with that.

All in all, I'd say it was a bargain for 20 quid.   :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2010, 04:42:54 pm »
got mine too; it's actually a slightly better model than the Vivitar with a bigger screen but otherwise identical;

top tip; in the menu switch off digital zoom so you only get the full res on optical

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2010, 04:44:17 pm »
top tip; in the menu switch off digital zoom so you only get the full res on optical

Yup, first thing I do on any camera with that option.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2010, 03:51:12 pm »
Interesting...
What sort of battery life do you get from it? Is 1GB the largest card it will take? Any other thoughts from more extended usage?

I'm looking for an AA-powered Point & Shoot camera. I see this one is still on ebay for £20.

Alternatively there's something like this the Fuji A180. More expensive, but bit smaller & lighter, and presumably better quality allround. 10MP seems insane from what I'm previously used to, but from what I can tell it would mostly be handy to make up for the lack of optical zoom (which itself must save on size & power).

Intended usage is for touring, mostly land-scapy sort of shots. Recharging AAs from dynohub (or buying along route if needed)

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 11 September, 2010, 11:50:31 am »
Interesting...
What sort of battery life do you get from it? Is 1GB the largest card it will take? Any other thoughts from more extended usage?

generally it lasts for a day of fairly moderate photo taking; less so with the flash. The upside is you can carry a few spares. I use 2500 or 2800 mAh.

SD cards are enormous these days; you can get 8-10Gb

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 11 September, 2010, 12:44:39 pm »
Not all cameras can work with cards larger than 2GB (SDHC), so it's worth pointing out whether a particular camera can or not.

Generally (I don't know for this particular one), something that works with 1GB will also work with 2GB.

It wouldn't be much of an inconvenience to use a set of smaller cards instead, anyway.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2010, 04:33:42 pm »
It's also worth knowing about Argos clearance stuff on eBay, the "refurb" stuff seems to often be cameras returned for refund. I've had a couple of cracking bargains off here items - Get great deals on Bulk Sales, Bedroom items on eBay.co.uk Shops!