Author Topic: Any CSC users here?  (Read 1501 times)

Any CSC users here?
« on: 03 March, 2014, 06:50:07 pm »
I'm thinking Sony NEX 7, Pana GX7, Fuji X-! Pro, Olympus OMD EM 5 etc.

Any thoughts, observations etc from use so far?

Ta.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Any CSC users here?
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2014, 08:03:25 pm »
I have an Olympus EPL-1, and aspire to an EP-5.  Being a rangefinder kinda guy, I like the compact style.  OK, so a four thirds sensor isn't going to have the same features as full frame, but DSLRs are such heavy beasts, I couldn't imagine carrying one round every day.

I like having the extensive features, and programmable functions, but there's an awful lot of fluff I don't use.

One thing I would say is that I much prefer to use an electronic viewfinder, which spoils the line of the camera, and makes it more bulky, but certainly improves handling.

The GX7 is similar to the EP5, but not so retro stylish.  If you like modern-looking cameras, it's got a lot to recommend it.  And the integrated viewfinder makes it a really nice option.

The OMDs are nice, if you like the mini-SLR styling.  And, given that I use  an EVF anyway, there's no reason why I shouldn't have an integrated hump on top.  I'm very attracted to the EM10, which is very programmable, and with ergonomic controls instead of having to rely on a crappy little wheel on the back.  Although the EM10 is technically below the EM5 in the range, it has the better sensor and engine.

The X1Pro is a fine camera, and the extra size of the APS-C sensor makes a difference.  It's renowned for being a tad slow in focus for its class, but the user control is quite extensive.  Bigger, of course, than the micro four thirds options, it still isn't too heavy or awkward to handle.

There's a criticism that the Fuji hasn't got a wide enough range of lenses, but that's debateable.  The lenses that are available are really excellent, if pricy.

Micro four thirds gives you an ever-increasing range of lenses, as both Olympus and Panasonic extend their offer, while third parties are aiming for a bigger share of the market.

One other thing worth considering: Olympus have in-body stabilisation, which means you can use legacy lenses (m43 is small enough that just about any lenses can be adapted), and have them stabilised, whereas Panasonic lenses have their own stabilisation.

But it's a very personal thing.  Get to handle as many of the cameras as you possibly can before making a decision.
Getting there...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2014, 09:40:15 pm »
I have a GF1 (Rangefinder style, but only a plug in external viewfinder) And a G5 - SLR style.

I love the G5 - it has an excellent built in EVF, being later generation is much more responsive, and with a lens on is not that much bigger than the GF1. I particularly like the pull out rotating EVF for low level and high level shooting, making it very easy to make shots like this without having to lie in the wet grass:

There may well be a gx7 in my future when the price plummets after release of the gx7+n

EDIT - building on C's post above, the GX7 also has in body stabilisation.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2014, 08:18:32 am »
Sony A7R?  Well, what do you classify it as?  Rather a limited range of tailor made lenses right now, but a lovely bit of kit, and quite handy sized compared to an SLR, and remember, its full frame.
Wombat

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2014, 08:20:04 am »
I've had a GX1 (the GX7's predecessor) since it came out, and love it.  Got the clip-in electronic viewfinder which I use when wearing contact lenses (I'm short-sighted, so without them I'm happy peering close-up at the screen), and a tele-zoom and normal-ish prime as well as the kit zoom.  As Clarion said, micro four-thirds has a great selection of lenses, including some very nice fast primes.  Very configurable - you may have to do a bit of menu-diving initially, but you can generally get it set up so that the stuff you use is all to hand.  Touch screen is great - after dragging and resizing focus points around on it, it's hard to go back to one without.

Second-hand prices on the GX1 have plummeted since the GX7 came out, but it's still a lorra lorra camera - worth a look if you don't need the latest and greatest.  But do try one, they are small even by CSC standards and some folk do find them fiddly.  There's more than you ever wanted to know on the mu-43.com forum.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2014, 09:06:47 am »
Menus can definitely be an issue, and my preferred Olympus is notorious for it.  However, once configured, I rarely need to access the menus at all, and can make all my regular changes off the info screen.  These would normally be for ISO, White balance, colour/mono, focus area etc.  I have manual focus set to toggle on one of the programmable buttons.
Getting there...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2014, 10:25:29 pm »
I've got a Lumix G5, and I rather like it. Only had it a couple of months, so still learning what it can do.
Its a nice size, not too heavy for carrying walking or cycling. It has got a nice big screen (with tilt/swivel), plus the electronic viewfinder is handy. And plenty of buttons for adjusting settings. It does have a touchscreen, though I'm not sure how useful that it is, I rarely use it.

I'm currently just using the kit lens, though it would be nice to get a longer telephoto for wildlife, plus a fast prime for indoors or night stuff.

« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2014, 07:48:11 pm »
Thanks everyone.Some really good feedback here. I'm planning to go out to Hong Kong to see my daughter & granddaughter, and didn't fancy lugging my Nikon D600 & lenses around.

After visiting various shops and handling many different CSCs, I settled on the Sony NEX 6 bundle with the kit 16-50mm OSS lens and also a 55-210 lens (I got a very good deal as I was able to trade in some old film cameras I had). Gives me a pretty good range bearing in mind it's an APCS sensor. I can't get over how light and compact the 55-210 lens (and indeed the whole kit) is; when this lens is attached to the camera, it doesn't weigh much more than my Nikkor 28-300 lens alone. The kit 16-50 also retracts on power down to make a very compact package; not trouser-pocketable, but certainly would fit in a coat pocket.

I have very small hands so the camera fits me well, but I think it would be a bit cramped for someone with larger hands.

Just need to play with it now and get shooting.  :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2014, 09:37:38 am »
Congratulations! Have fun & tell us how it goes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2014, 09:47:49 am »
I don't think you'll be unhappy with that bundle.

Looking forward to seeing the results.
Getting there...