Author Topic: South Bucks Winter Warmer 2023  (Read 1899 times)

South Bucks Winter Warmer 2023
« on: 23 November, 2023, 06:10:46 pm »
The Winter Warmer, a staple of the winter calendar.

https://www.audax.uk/event-details/10510-the_south_of_bucks_winter_warmer

I like the look of the quieter route.

Who knows what the weather will bring.

I hope to see many of the usual faces :thumbsup:

Re: South Bucks Winter Warmer 2023
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2023, 12:01:02 pm »
Crikey - it's going to be cold.

Any tips to stop bidons freezing? Am I better off with smaller bottles in my back pocket keeping warm from body heat, than using bidons?

I've got electrolyte, but I reckon it'll still be cold enough to freeze for significant chunks of the ride.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2023, 12:15:48 pm »
Yes it’ll be cold but not dissimilar to some previous years.

I’m not sure about bidons freezing. I know people talk about it  but  it’s never happened to me, even on the Dean  last year. Maybe I have larger bottles that take longer to freeze?

Looks like it follows gritted roads in the morning so that’s good

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2023, 01:50:24 pm »
Do you have any insulated bottles? We have some purchased for Californian summers, but Thing2 just pointed out I should have taken them on the Moonrakers last weekend. I didn't have any full freeze (750ml bottles) but did have a bit of slush puppy going on at 4am

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2023, 01:56:43 pm »
If you’ve got salt / electrolytes in your water that should be good to about -10C.  Trick is to blow back a bit on valve after a sip to ensure valve doesn’t have water in, as that’s the bit most likely to freeze. Bit like you see it’s the edge of puddles frozen where it shallow and rest is still liquid.

You could of course just have a small flask of hot chocolate in your saddle bag. Then top it up with more hot chocolate at stops.

« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2023, 10:08:28 pm »
Mine turned to slush at minus 6 with Tailwind powder in them on M&S last weekend🥶

The coldest I’ve ridden SBWW in was, I think, in 2010 when it was minus 5 at the start and minus 5 when I got back to the finish🥶🥶
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2023, 10:22:28 pm »
You could of course just have a small flask of hot chocolate in your saddle bag. Then top it up with more hot chocolate at stops.

I think I will be doing this!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #7 on: 01 December, 2023, 05:44:45 pm »

Any tips to stop bidons freezing? Am I better off with smaller bottles in my back pocket keeping warm from body heat, than using bidons?

I went out for a ride last night and avoided the issue of bidons freezing by the simple but effective tactic of not carrying on. but a pub stop every 20km is not an efficient way to complete an audax. so ???

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2023, 11:53:12 am »
I was wrong. Frozen bidon. Thawing it out at Alton Wetherspoons.

« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2023, 12:03:05 pm »
Ditto! Waiting for feeling to return in toes before leaving spoons! Wahoo showed constant minus six through the freezing fog. I’m sure that’s lower because of wind chill. Also saying little prayers to will batteries to keep working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: 04 December, 2023, 12:07:13 am »
At least the temperature was quite consistent, about  -2.5 through Rickmansworth to the start, somewhere between -2.2 for the ride, peaking at -0.5 near KingsClare then falling to -2 again to the finish. Quite lucky really as RAF Benson weather sation shows a peak of -1.5 at 15:00 then the temp there fell off to -4.9 at 19:00. I trust weather stations more then the Garmin which over reads by 1degC when not sunny (another E840 degredation). Had sun for the first time justbefore Alton. To qualify for sun there you had to be above 150m.

Not the coldest temperature I've ever road in but probably the lowest average ride temp. Bottles did ok though, they were 100cl, 50% apple juice, 50% water.

Clothing worked Ok for most of the ride but as usual fatigue prevented meant hands and face suffered on downhill sections for the last 3rd and after Henley I was looking forward to climbs for the warmth.

Rode back to Cambridge today, overheated, it was sweltering.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #11 on: 04 December, 2023, 01:35:05 am »
... Also saying little prayers to will batteries to keep working.

at the 100km control my garmin read 39% battery, odd I've been round 300s on one charge before, in to battery save mode. at 120km it was reading 10% when I checked (somewhere in woolhampton) mild panic setting in. Checked the list of controls - Watlington, knowl hill and arrivee. OK these are all places known to me, worst case I can navigate from memory and complete the task. it might not be the official route but I will get there.

probably he cold, so where I could I put the unit inside my jacket, Watlington still 10%, knowl hill, still 10%, cookham still 10%, arrivee still 10%. result. deleted my back up trace from the phone. I guess the cold not only affects battery life but also the ability of the system to measure battery life. Wasn't carrying my power bank, as "only" a 200, and also it was dead flat on saturday morning.

« Reply #12 on: 04 December, 2023, 09:04:48 am »

I’ve never ridden so long in such cold conditions.

When I was warm enough to look around - the trees were beautiful in their winter plumage. Heavy frost hanging on every limb and twig. A williwaw would shake the branches and produce fake snow.

The deep fog hushed the sounds, and all I could hear was the hiss from my tyres on the wet road. I puffed like a steam train up steep inclines, my breath freezing on my moustache.

As the entire field slowly passed me, those with beards had impressive icicles. They looked like Victorian arctic adventurers. I hoped I looked as impressive!

I'm sure this is true of all long distance cyclists, our eyes light up when somebody asks politely, "Have you ridden far?"

You, my friend, have fallen straight into my trap.

"About 90 miles"

A look of disbelief, as they check the frozen fog hasn't been replaced by bright sunshine outside.

"Nine zero?"

"Er, yes."

"Crikey - must be nearly home now?"

The poor Pub landlord, not only are they in the trap, but the door is closing and about to get locked behind them.

"Nearly, I reckon another 40 miles in the Chilterns and we are done"

Said with the same delivery as somebody just popping out to the shops, for some milk.

They don't need to know that I almost gave up at Alton when all of my trusty gadgets threw in the towel with prematurely empty batteries. The feet like ice blocks. The hands so cold they become dumb hammers which makes for clumsy gear changes. The constant wrestle with clothing that is either warm enough to sweat - and thus make me cold. Or cool enough not to sweat, and I'm even colder.

But even on the tough rides, there is a redeeming moment. A reason that makes it worthwhile.

The climb out of Goring and across the rolling plateau around Ipsden was that bit.

Bright stars shone in a clear sky. Almost dark enough to see the milky way. The silhouette of the Berkshire downs just visible on the horizon. And the myriad hoots and shuffles in the hedgerow as the beasts of the countryside go about their night time business.

In the middle distance I can see the mesmerising lights of cars on a main road, tracing the invisible curves of the land. But this lane is empty, with not a car to be seen. My trusty winter front light, shining the way: the only battery device that had the stamina for this ride, allowing me to enjoy this quiet solitude on a clear winters night.

I love riding at night. Even in the middle of winter.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #13 on: 04 December, 2023, 10:26:22 am »

But even on the tough rides, there is a redeeming moment. A reason that makes it worthwhile.

The climb out of Goring and across the rolling plateau around Ipsden was that bit.

Twilight for me by here, as I was very nearly lantern rouge, but you should see that section on a sunny June or September afternoon. as good as it gets in the southeast

« Reply #14 on: 04 December, 2023, 11:26:20 am »
Yes that was very cold, but being the last ride of my RRtY it had to be done!
I can't remember doing a ride that was so consistently cold (-3 to -5 on my Garmin).  I was really grateful to have my vacuum flask with coffee that could be refilled at stops.  We often go to the Spire & Spoke at Watlington on club runs early on a Sunday morning and are often the only ones there.  It was great to see a crowded, lively pub with me the only cyclist. 
I did prefer the new route that avoided the long slog along the A40 from Oxford and the frequently very cold long descent into Marlow.  Also e-brevet was welcome.  Many thanks to Terry and helpers.

ppg

« Reply #15 on: 20 December, 2023, 11:58:59 am »
The coldest I’ve ridden SBWW in was, I think, in 2010 when it was minus 5 at the start and minus 5 when I got back to the finish🥶🥶
Yep same here, I had to stop at the pub in Piddington for a coke as my bottles had frozen hours before.
The landlord kindly ran hot water over one, which got me to the finish.
Lovely ride though.