Author Topic: Baron Biosystems - XERT ?  (Read 1887 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Baron Biosystems - XERT ?
« on: 27 September, 2016, 01:11:13 pm »
Anyone tried this, seems to take some of the ideas from Training With Power and use them to predict FTP etc without having to specifically do an FTP test (maybe it is something like the functionality on Veloviewer?) I know I dread the build up to an FTP test (so much so - I haven't done one for a while!)

http://www.baronbiosys.com/?p=1491

Regards,

Joergen

Re: Baron Biosystems - XERT ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2016, 06:43:34 pm »
I got the impression they were going a stage beyond FTP and looking at various other power metrics to predict whether you were a TT rider or a Crit racer, etc.  They also showed the power that theoretically you could sustain alll day which was useful.

The same company produce/produced an "automatic" gear change system for Di2 which looked really interesting.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Baron Biosystems - XERT ?
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2016, 07:17:27 pm »
Those other metrics (5s power etc) are all in the Training with Power book as a tool to identify training focus areas, but that requires you to look at the power curve (say in Strava) and plot the data, where as this automates it - not sure how much value there is in that..

Since I posted above I've registered (free 4 week trial) and dumped this year's strava data in to their system.  There is an increase in where I thought my FTP is (up from 246 to 264, which is nice and probably true given when I last did an FTP test vrs current fitness)

Whats interesting is the Garmin IQ apps and their concept of MPA (Max Power Available) as a kind of DRS for your legs, using their Time to Exhaustion app. 
My current MPA works out about 950W, so you can configure one part of the widget to pull say 325W (which is my upper threshold power) and it will give you a live gauge to show X amount of time till you hit a certain predefined tank level (say an MPA 750W), all based on your current power level you are at on the ride, then I can also configure the other widget to do the opposite and show if I peddle at a recovery rate (say 150W), then how long till the MPA recovers to 950W.

This probably explains it better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tbfbe_0D0Y

Linked in to that are some other ConnectIQ apps which can show fat/carb burn and if you are trying to train a particular strength (say your 8 min power range) then there is a app which displays the present 'zone' you are training plus the intensity of it (which they call specificity )

All this is linked to the data crunching carried out in the main web app you link to strava and play with. I'm particularly interested in the pacing that the MPA/time to exhaustion as a way of pacing for audax (getting the threshold value right of how deep in to the MPA I can go for a particular distance will be the challenge)...

There's also a bioshift cadence app which looks interesting, it does some learning on the fly then attempts to predict optimal cadence based on MPA and other Xert parameters....

I've loaded it all on to the Garmin for Saturday's Audax, should keep me entertained along the way if nothing else! LOL Too early to say if it is all worth a $9/mo subscription though!
Regards,

Joergen