Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 344868 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2375 on: 16 November, 2021, 08:56:42 am »
Some random meandering recently put Leeds and Manchester city centres into my cluster. What's the 'Northern Powerhouse'... do I need to add Liverpool and Sheffield? Delighted to have Durham, Middlesbrough, York, Hull, Leeds, Wakefield and Manchester into the max cluster... like many of us a new goal is to reach from coast to coast. I figure either Liverpool or Blackpool first; I go to Blackpool more frequently. Oh wait, I guess Preston would probably be the first moment I hit coast to coast.

Someone (a couple of pages back) commented about it not being "exploring" if you're following a heatmap of other riders. Nonsense. Exploring is going places I haven't been, not going places other people haven't been. Sometimes I follow the trails blazed by our community of tilers, but more often than not I cycle somewhere, then open the app and have a look to see what I might be able to gather nearby. This is not efficient, but I'm not always bothered about efficiency, this game isn't one in going to win. In my cycling club there are only two other serious players of the game, and they're untouchable.

« Reply #2376 on: 16 November, 2021, 12:51:19 pm »
Some random meandering recently put Leeds and Manchester city centres into my cluster. What's the 'Northern Powerhouse'... do I need to add Liverpool and Sheffield? Delighted to have Durham, Middlesbrough, York, Hull, Leeds, Wakefield and Manchester into the max cluster... like many of us a new goal is to reach from coast to coast. I figure either Liverpool or Blackpool first; I go to Blackpool more frequently. Oh wait, I guess Preston would probably be the first moment I hit coast to coast.

Someone (a couple of pages back) commented about it not being "exploring" if you're following a heatmap of other riders. Nonsense. Exploring is going places I haven't been, not going places other people haven't been. Sometimes I follow the trails blazed by our community of tilers, but more often than not I cycle somewhere, then open the app and have a look to see what I might be able to gather nearby. This is not efficient, but I'm not always bothered about efficiency, this game isn't one in going to win. In my cycling club there are only two other serious players of the game, and they're untouchable.
I'd rather like to join up my Sheffield and Leeds clusters to my main one.
It used to be about 600 km to do it, but since LEJOG it's down to about 400k, +5300m.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2377 on: 16 November, 2021, 02:25:22 pm »
Is that smidge of red a cheeky little ride up and down Holme Moss from Holmfirth?

:)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2378 on: 19 November, 2021, 10:14:30 pm »
Cluster up to 1998 (ooh!) after some comedy off-roading on the first tile bagging trip for ages.

« Reply #2379 on: 20 November, 2021, 01:39:23 pm »
Up to 29x29 after a short ride in NE London today through Tottenham and Edmonton. Not the prettiest but quiet please as it only ocurred to me I could get anadditional few squares after I had decided to do the parkrun at Gunpowder

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2380 on: 23 November, 2021, 03:14:29 pm »
Has anyone noticed that the Strava route planner shows your completed tiles but lags behind the true coverage? For me it is missing some from a few months back so I don't think it's as simple as a periodic pull of the data?

https://www.strava.com/routes/new
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2381 on: 23 November, 2021, 03:45:20 pm »
How does it show completed tiles, but not full coverage?
All seems fine with mine, but done any tiling since Sept.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2382 on: 23 November, 2021, 03:45:59 pm »
Has anyone noticed that the Strava route planner shows your completed tiles but lags behind the true coverage? For me it is missing some from a few months back so I don't think it's as simple as a periodic pull of the data?

https://www.strava.com/routes/new
Try a veloviewer update. It seems to fix that for me generally.

« Reply #2383 on: 24 November, 2021, 10:19:22 am »
In my cycling club there are only two other serious players of the game, and they're untouchable.

Colour me untouchable.

I'm not sure it's true though. Your itinerant lifestyle is in your favour, and it looks very much as if my joint health means my high mileage years will never return.

« Reply #2384 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:25:40 pm »
I'm sure many of this parish would appreciate this

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2385 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:55:31 pm »
Some civil parishes aren't much bigger than a VV tile so lots of pickings!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2386 on: 01 December, 2021, 11:34:38 pm »
Weather improved , up to Tyndrun for Glen Orchy circuit catching some dirt road tiles.

« Reply #2387 on: 02 December, 2021, 12:03:12 am »
Looks nice around there.
I imagine tiling is very hard work in places
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2388 on: 02 December, 2021, 09:29:10 pm »
Stating to run out of roads over on the west ,  lots of Glen's with forestry, landrover tracks and stalker paths to explore now.
 Its worth it for the views. Much better than cycling in urban areas thro identikit housing and industrial estates. 😅

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #2389 on: 03 December, 2021, 11:23:18 am »
Another clever person has created a map overlay to show your collected tiles.
I use Brouter a lot and it works well with simple instructions.

here is a repeat of the post in the Strava group

Explorer overlay available
Last year I started working on explorer overlay, but have to postpone it a bit. Now the spring forced me to finish the work. It's fully working and available for public. I tested it with BRouter Web, Locus Map for android and OsmAnd (for both android and iOS). The page is https://vv.fork.pl and sources are at https://github.com/marcin-gryszkalis/veloviewer-explorer-overlay (you can report any issues via GitHub or via mail: mg@fork.pl).

Edit: I did some tests and it looks like it works pretty well with OsmAnd on both Android and iOS. I updated instructions accordingly.

« Reply #2390 on: 03 December, 2021, 02:18:25 pm »
That's bloody brilliant, cheers for sharing.

I've really missed the ability to show squares on OSMand since the export function stopped working on the explorer helper app.   This worked a treat!

Is it the same person behind this and the explorer helper app?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Eddington: 114 Miles

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2391 on: 05 December, 2021, 05:24:02 pm »

How my day started:

12062 tiles
Max square 29x29
Max Cluster: 2000

How my day ended:

12073 tiles
Max square 29x29
Max Cluster: 2035

Which means I have achieved my goal of getting a cluster of ≥2021 by the end of 2021. Not sure what my goal will be for next year.

Cluster now reaches to Dordrecht at the southern end.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2392 on: 06 December, 2021, 12:26:35 pm »
Another clever person has created a map overlay to show your collected tiles.
I use Brouter a lot and it works well with simple instructions.
Edit: I did some tests and it looks like it works pretty well with OsmAnd on both Android and iOS. I updated instructions accordingly.
Seems to be a problem with Brouter here. I have two 'difficult' tiles visited (only gone into them 100m or so) showing up OK on VV itself and on the VV Strava plugin. But Brouter shows them as not visited. This is the case both with vv.fork.pl method and with the .kml export from VV loaded into Brouter.
I haven't notified fork.pl or Brouter about this, because maybe I'm doing something wrong (I have reloaded the relevant activities into VV and updated again). Anyone else have issues?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2393 on: 10 December, 2021, 11:29:37 am »

Reports on twitter of a tilemageddon following a slight change in the way routes are processed.

https://twitter.com/RideEveryTile/status/1469246728591314950

down to 44 overlapping 55x55 squares...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2394 on: 10 December, 2021, 07:32:12 pm »
Cold one today, over towards the east catching the farm roads between Coupar Angus and Alyth.  First real run on icy roads this winter. Kirriemuir tonight, hope its better tomorrow for the glens. 23 new tiles filling in gaps.

« Reply #2395 on: 13 December, 2021, 12:55:57 pm »
I have a goal to do all the tiles in Kent by the end of the year. After two failed attempts to get a cluster near Dover I finally got them done yesterday.  I have one ride to do down near Dungeness and also a walk along the coast near Dover.
I had to park my bike up and walk out on Deal Pier to get one that I missed last year when I walked there. I also had to go down near to the beach at St Margaret's at Cliffe, near Dover after missing this earlier in the year.  It's a strange place, I even got a text from Vodafone saying Welcome to France!

« Reply #2396 on: 13 December, 2021, 07:46:00 pm »
I was doing a group DIY 200k audax yesterday around a minor variation of a route that I have done before.  Obviously I checked out if there were any easy tile pickings before the ride  ::-)  I resisted most of them but there was a 150m long spike north from Little Brington that was too good to miss.  Only one tile but it bumped my cluster up by 15 so was worth the abuse I received from my companions.

A bit later in the ride we went past one of the potential access points to the Kineton bomb dump tile but I decided that the fence and prominent signs meant that there was no way that I could play the plausible deniability card if I did get stopped/shot/bitten/whatever.

« Reply #2397 on: 13 December, 2021, 08:27:30 pm »
Up in Kirriemuir for a few days catching tiles in the Glens above Kirrie. Managed my target for the year 31000 tiles.

« Reply #2398 on: 14 December, 2021, 01:36:26 pm »
Some nice photos there, salar55!

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2399 on: 30 December, 2021, 07:17:56 pm »
A fair amount of progress this year, with close to 5000 new tiles and ditto extension of the cluster. I started tiling in earnest ^H^H^H obsessively in 2020 with the following timelapse as a result

Made by downloading images of my heatmap filtered by date from statshunters.com (a "must" site for tile baggers and IMO worthy of a donation). From January 2019 upto July 2020 one image per quarter, from July onwards one image per month. Next I used ezgif.com (free site) to merge the 25 images into an animated gif, using 2 seconds per frame with a 0.4s crossfade. Cropping the boring bits, adding some annotation and optimising for size et voilà.