Author Topic: Radio recommendations  (Read 45196 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Radio recommendations
« Reply #175 on: 07 July, 2021, 08:21:59 am »
Series 1 of Listen Against by Alice Arnold and Jon Holmes is on BBC Sounds and Four Extra at some time or another.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #176 on: 11 August, 2021, 11:25:18 am »
In the Afternoon Drama (possibly just Drama these days) slot on R4 this week, Monday to Wednesday, is another/final series of Philip Palmer's Keeping The Wolf Out. Set in communist Hungary, it's a tale of  power games, corruption and intrigue in the police. The previous series have been spot on, so I've got high hopes for this one.

« Reply #177 on: 24 November, 2021, 12:18:46 pm »
Penguin Diplomacy, courtesy of John Finnemore. On R4 now. Brilliant.
Rust never sleeps

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #178 on: 27 November, 2021, 10:18:09 am »
Great thing from Cerys Matthews  - on R4 of course, the home of more discerning pop:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09xgmd5

Add To Playlist will be presented by broadcaster and singer Matthews, as well as writer, teacher and broadcaster Jeffrey Boakye.

Each week the Add To Playlist presenters and guests will build a playlist track by track, connecting each track to the next with their own knowledge of musicology, music history and a touch of serendipity.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #179 on: 04 December, 2021, 11:01:57 am »
Radio 4's soul music  today was Tim Buckley, specifically Song To the Siren. Well worth catching if you are an aging hippy needing s nostalgia hit.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #180 on: 22 January, 2022, 02:20:29 pm »
Two recommendations today, both of which may have been in this thread before and both of which are on 4 Extra.

The Blackburn Files, starring the wonderfully named Fine Time Fontayne as Steven J Blackburn, private detective. Script by Dave Sheasby, Martin Wyley and Ian McMillan, who know exactly which words to use and where to put them.

Second up is Fags, Mags and Bags, the every day story of a corner shop in Lenzie. Written by and starring Sanjeev Kohli and Donald McLeary, it's as funny as.

« Reply #181 on: 22 January, 2022, 08:27:58 pm »
I enjoy Fags, Mags and Bags too, etc

(my club is Lenzie velo)

I like Its a Fair Cop too by Alfie Moore (R4 comedy at 6:30 pm)

« Reply #182 on: 22 January, 2022, 09:47:35 pm »
Two solid reccomndations , thenks, Tim.

Another Sheasby/MacMillan collaboration is Street and Lane, often repeated on R4 Extra.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #183 on: 22 January, 2022, 10:09:21 pm »
Also Fair Cop. Thought provoking about human rights and the law, very funny as well
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #184 on: 27 January, 2022, 08:10:33 pm »
Auntie is repeating Mighty Boosh from Ep1 tonight:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b007jmf4
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #185 on: 27 January, 2022, 09:14:59 pm »
21 years old!  I'm surprised.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #186 on: 30 January, 2022, 01:41:08 pm »
21 years old!  I'm surprised.

We took my son to see the stage show when he was about 8, I think. He’s 22 now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #187 on: 30 January, 2022, 01:44:04 pm »
Currently listening to Peel Acres on 6music. Have to say I was a bit sceptical about it - I get a bit bored of the constant eulogising about John Peel on 6music but it’s actually really very good, a *lot* more interesting than I expected.

This week’s guest is Damon Albarn and it’s like a delve into his musical heritage, plus some interesting oddities randomly selected from Peel’s record collection.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #188 on: 30 January, 2022, 01:48:00 pm »
Sorry if this is a double post but I'm not reading 8 pages :)

If you want to listen to radio from around the world from your sofa hit this website http://radio.garden/

I have found quite a good few stations via the garden.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #189 on: 31 January, 2022, 06:52:16 pm »
Today's Unbelievable Truth features Henning Wehn telling many fibs about bicycles.
(including one Quite Interesting fact, IMHO)
About 12min in (for those who can't stand the program - it does seem to be a bit marmite)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #190 on: 31 January, 2022, 07:01:17 pm »
It also features Holly Walsh who is superb. Generally, but in this programme too.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #191 on: 15 February, 2022, 06:50:40 pm »
This morning I caught the tail end of a new thing, Please Use Other Door. Created and produced by Bill Dare (Dead Ringers, The Now Show,Dead Ringers etc), it's short sketches by mainly new to radio writers. I heard more of it on the way home. Tis good.

« Reply #192 on: 15 February, 2022, 07:02:10 pm »
I enjoy Fags, Mags and Bags too, etc

(my club is Lenzie velo)

I like Its a Fair Cop too by Alfie Moore (R4 comedy at 6:30 pm)

FM & B is an old one  used to enjoy it In my van around 10 years ago but I a good one

« Reply #193 on: 15 February, 2022, 10:58:45 pm »
This morning I caught the tail end of a new thing, Please Use Other Door. Created and produced by Bill Dare (Dead Ringers, The Now Show,Dead Ringers etc), it's short sketches by mainly new to radio writers. I heard more of it on the way home. Tis good.
I heard it on the R4 6:30 ‘comedy’ slot one evening last week. It is indeed very good, streets ahead of some of the recent offerings in that slot.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #194 on: 15 February, 2022, 11:19:44 pm »
I heard it on the R4 6:30 ‘comedy’ slot one evening last week. It is indeed very good, streets ahead of some of the recent offerings in that slot.
Quite agree. Bill Dare also did The Secret World which has a similar format of several recurring theme sketches interleaved with one another. Please Use Other Door is the Tuesday 6:30 offering. Only 4 episodes though.

« Reply #195 on: 16 February, 2022, 08:38:39 am »
The swan police officer in the first episode was particularly apposite.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #196 on: 23 February, 2022, 09:36:04 am »
The swan police officer in the first episode was particularly apposite.
Indeed. Caught the second episode on BBC Sounds this morning. Still good.

Another recommendation: Conversations From a Long Marriage. Roger Allam and Joanna Lumley "play a couple who have been married for ever". Cracking script by Jan Etherington, dry as you like delivery, especially from Roger Allam.  First broadcast in 2020, it's getting anb airing Wednesday evenings at 1830 on the Home Service.   

« Reply #197 on: 27 February, 2022, 07:04:14 pm »
Mostly I despise it, but occasionally the BBC Sounds app turns up good stuff, Fr'instance:

"Who is Aldrich Kemp?" Sassy spy thriller
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0014gtt

"A to Z of Things" described as "sonically inventive stories" somehow only 2 letters available... hoping for more!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0014xhq

Misha Glenn's excellent "Invention of Things" series...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/b06pxdzv

But I'd still prefer a solid searchable database BBC Radio archive, with all the Dave Sheasbys etc etc returned to visibility.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #198 on: 21 April, 2022, 11:18:29 am »
In about half an hour on R4; Life, Death and the Foghorn.

I know I'm biased, but this is delightful. Available here (it's a repeat) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000l8p1
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #199 on: 21 April, 2022, 06:29:43 pm »
New series of McLevy in the Afternoon drama slot on Radio 4. Although series might be a bit strong as it's only two episodes.
Brian Cox ( no not that one) and Siobhan Redmond are (former) Inspector of Police and bawdy hoose proprietor in David Ashton's tale, loosely based on a real Victorian era detective. At the end of the last series they left Leith for the USA. Now read listen on.