Author Topic: yacf riders  (Read 33241 times)

Martin

Re: yacf riders
« Reply #50 on: 21 August, 2019, 05:00:56 pm »
The tracker shows a Mr Sabine OTP as having finished in 68 hrs  ???

rob

« Reply #51 on: 21 August, 2019, 05:51:29 pm »
I know that Wilky had major gut problem early .. seemed to have recovered a bit by Brest .. but nothing since Loudeac homebound .. called it a day maybe .. would have been up against it all the way home .. even if fit .. gut and the off 6 weeks ago were maybe too much

I rode with him from the start to just before Mortagne and he was going well.   We lost each other after that, though.

« Reply #52 on: 21 August, 2019, 05:54:24 pm »
The tracker shows a Mr Sabine OTP as having finished in 68 hrs  ???

Aye well, I can add this one to my ever extending palmares de DNF. Ho hum.

I guess he rode back and was picked up by the timing mats along the way. I guess the dumb tracking system assumes that anyone coming back to Rambouillet is a finisher, regardless of how many controls in the middle have been missed out.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 21 August, 2019, 06:00:59 pm »
I guess he rode back and was picked up by the timing mats along the way. I guess the dumb tracking system assumes that anyone coming back to Rambouillet is a finisher, regardless of how many controls in the middle have been missed out.

To be fair, if the timing at intermediate controls has't worked, then if it didn't do this,it would not register you as finished. Better the false positive, than the false negative.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #54 on: 21 August, 2019, 06:33:40 pm »
Sarah has finished. Just got to wait for Tillapaw to roll in.

« Reply #55 on: 21 August, 2019, 07:02:28 pm »

To be fair, if the timing at intermediate controls has't worked, then if it didn't do this,it would not register you as finished. Better the false positive, than the false negative.

True, but it's still just tracking info. Homologation will be completely separate and based on a manual review of the Brevet Card and the electronic control timings.

In 2011 I kept in touch with everyone I cared to know whether I'd finished or not. I didn't care what the tracker said (and at one point it didn't list me as visiting one of the controls). Actually, now I remember I got one text from someone warning me of this, which took time for me to deal with (in a tired state) to tell them that it was nothing to worry about and that I had visited that control.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #56 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:44:09 pm »
I know that Wilky had major gut problem early .. seemed to have recovered a bit by Brest .. but nothing since Loudeac homebound .. called it a day maybe .. would have been up against it all the way home .. even if fit .. gut and the off 6 weeks ago were maybe too much

I rode with him from the start to just before Mortagne and he was going well.   We lost each other after that, though.

Packed at Loudeac, apparently.  Doing better than Mel Kirkland, though, who apparently hasn't started!

Adamski is lost to the tracking system too...
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #57 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:55:12 pm »
Adamski turned around at Villaines.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Martin

« Reply #58 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:59:52 pm »

True, but it's still just tracking info. Homologation will be completely separate and based on a manual review of the Brevet Card and the electronic control timings.

is it done by transponder now? was a swipe card in 2007; anyway do riders not have to surrender their thingy when they abandon as in other events?

« Reply #59 on: 21 August, 2019, 09:22:14 pm »
People keep saying it's a transponder on the frame number this year, no separate chip.

2011 it was a chip that was attached to the shoe, with the timing mats placed right before the control desks so it was impossible not to walk on them if you got your card stamped.

« Reply #60 on: 21 August, 2019, 09:23:47 pm »
Deano has just finished. 75:48 according to the tracker.

« Reply #61 on: 21 August, 2019, 09:31:41 pm »
And Paul D (77:48)

« Reply #62 on: 21 August, 2019, 09:55:35 pm »
And Simon P.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #63 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:13:05 pm »
And Simon P.

I had noticed Simon was cutting it a bit fine but in the end he had 1 hour 20 mins in hand
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #64 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:29:06 pm »
And Simon P.

I had noticed Simon was cutting it a bit fine but in the end he had 1 hour 20 mins in hand

I was looking at Simon's tracker earlier on, and, unless I'm missing something obvious, it 'would seem' he had little extended sleep, judging by the quite consistent average speed he was sustaining.
Garry Broad

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #65 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:06:50 pm »
Postie finished in 72:37. Olaf (redfalo) is onto the last stretch, having left Mortagne with 118km to do and about 14 hours in hand. He felt he was close to a DNF, but feeling better after a kip and some food.

simonp

« Reply #66 on: 22 August, 2019, 04:38:43 am »
And Simon P.

I was looking at Simon's tracker earlier on, and, unless I'm missing something obvious, it 'would seem' he had little extended sleep, judging by the quite consistent average speed he was sustaining.

The issue I struggled with right from the start was staying in groups. I’m too slow uphill. So effectively it might as well have been a solo ride. I managed 15h to Fougeres overnight but the wind was brutal during the day. I thus took 35h to Brest. Not a bad 600k but with 36h limit no sleep time. Add gut issues and double vision.

« Reply #67 on: 22 August, 2019, 05:48:24 am »

is it done by transponder now? was a swipe card in 2007; anyway do riders not have to surrender their thingy when they abandon as in other events?

Transponder on the frame plaque, and timing gates to ride through on the entrance to each control (well, exit from Villaines outward).

Instructions said it absolutely must be vertical to be read, so when I took it off and put it in my bag I made sure it wasn't. It didn't get read at any of the controls on my way back from Quedillac, just at the arrivee.

And I've got a distinct lack of stamps in my brevet card ...

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #68 on: 22 August, 2019, 09:21:18 am »
Olaf finished in 84:21. Hurrah!

« Reply #69 on: 22 August, 2019, 09:41:53 am »
I was a slow “Billy no mates” on the climbs, but had plenty of wheelsuckers for company on some stretches. Single rides who annoyed me with the sound of their freewheeling instead of doing a turn on the front, I rode away from if I could, or deliberately slowed down until they passed. Some riders were good company, others were not.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #70 on: 22 August, 2019, 09:46:11 am »
Tillapaw finished too! So that’s all 6 people I was following finished! No desire to do it myself mind.

« Reply #71 on: 22 August, 2019, 10:23:09 am »
And I've got a distinct lack of stamps in my brevet card ...

As someone who wasn't there, I'm puzzled why you lack stamps.

Surely the brevet card is the definitive record that you went through each control in case of failure of the transponder.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #72 on: 22 August, 2019, 10:49:08 am »
John was riding back, having packed. I guess there was no point him getting stamps, even if they had been willing to give them.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #73 on: 22 August, 2019, 11:03:41 am »
I'm delighted to inform  -  having just telephoned the jubilant riders, that Four Corners Audax Team -  Shaun , Lee & Myles have all finished with time  -  juts one last rider out & she's looking good
Phenomenal result   -   I'm delighted for every AUK successful finisher, but none more so than this bunch..
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

« Reply #74 on: 22 August, 2019, 11:05:44 am »
Was there a higher incidence of gut-related badness this year?

Well done to all - by way of my Twitter followings it seems to have been a particularly tough year.