Author Topic: Fixed Anciens  (Read 11324 times)

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
Re: Fixed Anciens
« Reply #25 on: 29 August, 2019, 02:53:51 pm »
An Audax Club Portsmouth rider (Plodder)  completed on fixed. Postie will be able to say what his gearing was. (As far as I understand it was 1 (gear)  ;D)

I was on 72". Same as last time.
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #26 on: 19 September, 2019, 06:37:32 pm »
I started on 79-inches — for some reason  ::-)

Flipped to 75-inches at Mortagne.  Illness meant I spent quite a while there before pushing on to Villaines and slept until the morning, still ill.

Got to Brest okay, quicker overall than 2013 in spite of the six hours or so lost on the first two stages, but performed a strategic abandon at Loudéac on the return, 790km ridden, to save a couple of additional chilly nights chasing cut-offs, to get home a day early and in good shape to move house. 

PBP on fixed will still be there in four years' time, health and fitness permitting  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #27 on: 19 September, 2019, 06:40:13 pm »
I believe the reason is called Rob  :demon:

rob

« Reply #28 on: 19 September, 2019, 08:58:39 pm »
I believe the reason is called Rob  :demon:

I have apologised.

« Reply #29 on: 19 September, 2019, 09:48:48 pm »
Sorry to hear of the DNF

... Flipped...

PBP on fixed will still be there in four years' time, health and fitness permitting  :thumbsup:

And all on the same ratio from start to finish hopefully!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #30 on: 20 September, 2019, 08:53:52 am »
Got to Brest okay, quicker overall than 2013 in spite of the six hours or so lost on the first two stages, but performed a strategic abandon at Loudéac on the return, 790km ridden, to save a couple of additional chilly nights chasing cut-offs, to get home a day early and in good shape to move house. 

I remember chatting* to you in Loudeac in the bike park just as were setting off into the very chilly night - shame about the abandon but as you say the oppportunity will be there again in 4 years especially true for you at such a young age  :thumbsup:

* I think the issue of appropriate gear inches was discussed ;)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #31 on: 20 September, 2019, 06:53:09 pm »
I have apologised.

You have  :thumbsup:

* I think the issue of appropriate gear inches was discussed ;)

I think everyone may have had an earful   ::-)

But not necessarily.  The rules allow for flippage, I believe, so long as both sides are fixed.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #32 on: 20 September, 2019, 07:15:26 pm »

But not necessarily.  The rules allow for flippage, I believe, so long as both sides are fixed.

The administrator of the system has previously expressed a preference for no changes during an event: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20136.msg361264#msg361264
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #33 on: 21 September, 2019, 09:35:48 am »
Indeed, but only a preference.  If using both cogs on a double sided fixed hub increases your enjoyment or success, then go for it.  It is even theoretically possible to use a double chainring with a suitably different pair of cogs to maintain chain tension, but a high profile fixer (no longer, apparently, OTP) tried it some considerable time ago, only to find a greater frequency of chain breakages, which he took as a hint not to buck the system.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.