Author Topic: 1st ride today  (Read 4664 times)

1st ride today
« on: 17 March, 2021, 08:58:52 pm »
Got my Giro 20, many thanks to oddball😀😀

Built it up and had first ride today, 20 mile or so.  Fell off 4 times in the car park practising!  Falling off a bent is quite different, a bit like rolling out of bed.

Anyway got on the road, massive smile all the way round😀😀

2 reflections, Kodak’s are good but probably not as fast rolling as Conti TL5000’s.  Or, my bent legs are going to take a while!

20inch fronts are quite flighty at 30mph!

Best fun on a bike for 2 years though.  Cant wait for tomorrow to have another go!

Re: 1st ride today
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2021, 09:06:19 pm »
Very happy with that.  :thumbsup:
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2021, 10:51:22 pm »
You must be a natural! I'm delighted that you're enjoying the Yellow Peril!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2021, 07:03:00 am »
Never been that impressed with Kojaks.  I found them prone to punctures and no faster than more robust tyres.  See the 406 tyre thread that lists a range of choices.

« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2021, 08:47:54 am »
Never been that impressed with Kojaks.  I found them prone to punctures and no faster than more robust tyres.  See the 406 tyre thread that lists a range of choices.

Cheers Lightening, I’m going to ride it for a bit.  It’s first recommend so my legs will probably make more difference than anything.  I might try Pro Ones next and set them up tubeless.   My experience with upwrongs though is that a different tyre can easily be 2 or 3mph cruising speed difference.  Is same true for recumbents?

« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:27:17 am »
The Kojak has a rolling resistance of 25 watts (at a pressure you’d use) at 18 mph according to the rolling resistance site. The gp 5000 has a rolling resistance of about 10-11 watts.  So across two Kojak tyres that’s about 28 watts extra resistance.  According to the bicycle speed calculators online that equates to about 2.8km/h difference at typical audax speeds. So almost 2 mph difference.  If you have a run of the mill road tyre they are around 14-17 watts rolling resistance.  So you’d be losing about 1 mph to the GP 5000s.

So 3mph slower might be pushing it, but I can see 2 mph slower being perfectly possible between a top line road tyre and run of the mill touring tyre. I run winter and summer tyres on my recumbent.  Currently still on winter.  So I’ll let you know once I switch tyres what difference I see if any on regular circuits.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2021, 11:37:31 am »
Anecdatally, Liverpool Uni tried Kojaks on their ARION 1 streamliner at Battle Mountain in 2015.  Riders Dave Collins and Ken Buckley both reported that the bike handled better than on skinnier rubber and could they please have the lower rolling resistance tyres back in time for their next runs kthxbai.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2021, 12:55:02 pm »
The main feature of the Kojak is that it's cheap.  *gestures in the vague direction pedal cars*

« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:45:24 pm »
Another 20 mile done today,

Just wondering if I dare go clipless!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:59:54 pm »
If you're confident with clipless on an upright (ie. already have a well-tuned emergency unclip reflex), recumbents are less scary with it.  YMMV.

LMT

« Reply #10 on: 19 March, 2021, 02:34:21 pm »
Go with dual side MTB clipless to start off with. Less faff to clip in and what should be more float so it's easier on your knees. If you become converted to clipless than Speedplay (now Wahoo) is my recommendation.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11 on: 19 March, 2021, 04:05:24 pm »
Speaking of Speedplay, I found this on YouTube. YouTube about speedplay clones It’s still relevant as Wahoo might have simplified the range, but they’ve not lowered the price.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #12 on: 19 March, 2021, 06:19:54 pm »
I’ll have to use my spd’s to start with.   I’ve already got them!

« Reply #13 on: 20 March, 2021, 10:04:48 am »
If I stick with 26rear and 20 front, which tyres would give a quicker ride? (I’d like to go tubeless as well!

Is there any merit in switching to a 700c rear and 24inch front?

I think my next bike will be a high racer!

« Reply #14 on: 20 March, 2021, 10:17:41 am »

Just wondering if I dare go clipless!

My first ever go at pedalling (rather than just sitting) when I got my recumbent was clipped in on rollers - I was recovering from surgery on a broken leg so didn't feel up to doing anything outside, and couldn't physically climb onto an upright , but wanted to start getting my legs moving again. Didn't fall off or have a clipless moment once!

Mind you, mine is a trike, so a little easier to balance and get moving :-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 20 March, 2021, 11:23:22 am »
If I stick with 26rear and 20 front, which tyres would give a quicker ride? (I’d like to go tubeless as well!

In theory, Schwalbe Pro One.

In practice, your speed may be impaired by being stuck at home failing to get them to seat properly.  I've yet to establish the magic formula of 26" rim and harsh language to make a Pro One not have a lump, and things aren't much better at 20" (there's still a lump, but it's rideable if the pressure's not too high).

I know it's theoretically possible, as the ICE trikes guys have them fitted successfully.  I asked Chris Parker about this, and he explained they have a tubeless tyre wizard on staff at the factory.

« Reply #16 on: 20 March, 2021, 02:02:27 pm »

If you stick with tubes the Continental Grand Prix is available in 559-28 and reasonably good rolling.  Staying tubed for the front; the Panaracer Minut Lite or Continental Contact Speed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 20 March, 2021, 04:36:49 pm »

If you stick with tubes the Continental Grand Prix is available in 559-28 and reasonably good rolling.

I've got one of those on the back of the Baron for racing purposes, while the Pro One sulks in the cupboard.  You can pump them up really hard if you're riding on pristine tarmac.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: 20 March, 2021, 06:49:03 pm »
Historically Conti GPs used to have sidewalls made of repurposed Rizlas.  Have they improved?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #19 on: 21 March, 2021, 12:09:11 pm »
Another 40 miles in yesterday, certainly getting faster (especially uphill) and a mit more confident.   Definitely still think I need quicker tyre3s.

So comfortable though😀😀😀

« Reply #20 on: 21 March, 2021, 01:55:24 pm »
Historically Conti GPs used to have sidewalls made of repurposed Rizlas.  Have they improved?

I hope so, I've got some on order to try out instead of the current tyres (kojaks).
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #21 on: 21 March, 2021, 01:58:18 pm »
Another 40 miles in yesterday, certainly getting faster (especially uphill) and a mit more confident.   Definitely still think I need quicker tyre3s.

So comfortable though😀😀😀

Don't forget that you are probably going faster than it feels like. I had the same thoughts, but it was the different riding position, that just doesn't feel fast, because you are not staring at the tarmac whizzing by, but looking at the scenery, that just happens to be much further away, thus moving a lot slower.   ;)  Enjoy.

« Reply #22 on: 21 March, 2021, 04:47:32 pm »
Another 20 miles.  That’s 90 altogether.

It’s the smiles I think. I ride along grinning like a Cheshire Cat, even up hill!   Not just that, it makes other people smile a lot too!   Loads of ramblers today and just such a different reaction to what I used to get on di!

I’m starting to feel much more comfortable as well now.  I even started in a straight (ish) line today on several occasions.

A full 1mph faster today on same route too.   It’s the higher cadence that’s really helped.

I think I’ve made a mistake with my do’s in that whatever they’re designed for.I’ve made them all into audax type machines.

I shan’t do 5he same with bents!  I’m just going to ride this for a thousand miles and enjoy it for what it is - a hatchback.

I want a Mercedes E class for audax eventually but I think rather than mess with this that can be n+1.   There’s going to be some nice do’s for sale after Easter I think.

Awesome fun😀😀😀

« Reply #23 on: 28 March, 2021, 01:22:06 pm »
70 miles in yesterday,  that might have been a bit of a step up, got #omeaches today!

Starting uphill and trying to clip in was a challenge!!😭😭

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 28 March, 2021, 01:25:31 pm »
Starting uphill and trying to clip in was a challenge!!😭😭

Becoming proficient at pedalling with one foot can help with that.  Means you don't have to rely on the second foot getting up in time when conditions are a bit sketchy.  But you will get better at it with practice.