Author Topic: Touring without Camping  (Read 4650 times)

Touring without Camping
« on: 18 May, 2021, 06:14:31 pm »
Anyone able to share advice on UK touring without camping?
Prospect of finding a B&B or small hotel without pre booking. If that is feasible would it be worth carrying a reduced camping kit jic?
Any hints and tips most welcome. The book I have that mention it are about 30 years old.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Touring without Camping
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:12:23 pm »
I've never camped and, for the most part, have never had any problem finding places to stay without booking ahead. The only exceptions have been on bank holiday weekends - for which I would generally book ahead - or when I've been passing through particular popular or sparsely populated spots. For example, I once had to add about 20 miles to a day's ride in the Scottish highlands because I couldn't find anywhere that looked remotely welcoming and I am booking all of my accommodation for my planned end-to-end later this year because I don't fancy getting stuck somewhere in Cumbria without a bed for the night.

I'll usually carry a Lonely Planet or similar guidebook with me, which always has suggestions, and, if in doubt, I find heading towards the centre of town generally helps.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:29:34 pm »
I did this with a friend maybe 15 years ago. We went all the way down to Cornwall (from Essex) with no camping gear and no map! We just headed west and down a bit. Had no problems finding B&Bs. Well, no major problems anyway, we always managed to find somewhere, but the lack of map and indeed smart phones meant we just had to keep our eyes peeled as we passed through places at about the time we felt like stopping.

I assume things can't have changed that much since then...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:47:02 pm »
I am a cautious type and have booked ahead when b&b touring.  Even so we were let down one evening in Berwick-upon-Tweed where our host who had taken our deposit weeks in advance decided to let our room to folk who showed up n spec before us.  Thankfully we found an alternative in spite of the very nasty woman saying that it was our fault anyway and Berwick would be fully booked as it was a bank holiday.

It was with some discomfort that she had to acknowledge that she'd taken my money and had to cough up a refund.  I reported it to the ETB as she proudly displayed their guff with her three stars.  Don't know what happened but I don't expect that much did.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:02:06 pm »
That's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question!   Whereabouts will you be, when will you be there.

My own view having done loads of cycle touring in the UK (incl 2 x E2Es) and Europe is to plan and book accommodation ahead - so my days/distances are sorted - with the fall-back of a credit card and taxi for emergencies!   A couple of times I've just booked a day or two ahead of where I was.

Lots of online booking options - although I usually look up and find places on, e.g., booking.com  and then Google the place and book direct which tends to please the owner avoiding the penal commissions the booking sites charge.  The chains of hotels have central booking (Premier Inn, Travelodge, Accor - for IBIS, Novotel, Mercure)   Just beware, especially in Scotland for example - where the place says it is may actually be 20 or 30 miles from there .... OK in a car, not so good on a bike!

« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:02:30 pm »
I assume things can't have changed that much since then...
That's what worries me because I think they must have changed  :)

« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:06:02 pm »
I rode Calais-Brindisi in 1998, 11 days over 2500km.  I didn't once have to sleep under a hedge.  Accommodation did vary, but there was always a bed & food there or nearby.  I've done shorter tours on similar lines.

« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:12:14 pm »
That's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question!   Whereabouts will you be, when will you be there.

My own view having done loads of cycle touring in the UK (incl 2 x E2Es) and Europe is to plan and book accommodation ahead - so my days/distances are sorted - with the fall-back of a credit card and taxi for emergencies!   A couple of times I've just booked a day or two ahead of where I was.

Lots of online booking options - although I usually look up and find places on, e.g., booking.com  and then Google the place and book direct which tends to please the owner avoiding the penal commissions the booking sites charge.  The chains of hotels have central booking (Premier Inn, Travelodge, Accor - for IBIS, Novotel, Mercure)   Just beware, especially in Scotland for example - where the place says it is may actually be 20 or 30 miles from there .... OK in a car, not so good on a bike!

Whereabouts: Shropshire, Welsh Marches and Middle Wales to West Coast
When: Monday to Friday not School holidays or Bank Holidays.
I'd rather not prebook even on the day. I don't want to be tied to places by a certain time.
Perhaps I should carry a bivi kit for nights when luck fails but then I am not far short of the weight of full camping kit.

« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:23:50 pm »
One thing to be aware of with last minute online bookings off season is that smaller places might be surprised when you turn up and might not offer breakfast etc.

« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:57:37 pm »
Anyone able to share advice on UK touring without camping?
Prospect of finding a B&B or small hotel without pre booking.
I to find it frustrating that many people think touring is synonymous with camping.

I started touring in 1970 and took to camping as recently as 2004.  All those years I used youth hostels, b&b or small hotels.  The only time anything was prebooked was for the Xmas tour.  In a small town or village I might go to the local shop and ask about b&b in the area.  They often knew of old Granny Smith round the corner has  a room.  I doubt that would be possible these days what with fire regulations etc, so the premises would have to be a bit bigger I suppose.  I have taken that approach to touring on mainland Europe as well with no issues although the small hotels in France are disappearing, again due to modern fire regulations I am told, so a diversion into a larger town might be needed.   Booking ahead doesn't work for me because I do not necessarily want an 80 mile day into a SW gale just to get to my booking when I would otherwise simply go somewhere else - for example, 2004 was tour in northern Spain, mountains and heat meant I was glad I did not have a booked schedule to stick to.

I don't think I would be at all bothered about not booking, except perhaps this year when so many more people will take a staycation.

« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2021, 09:07:29 pm »
I’ve always booked ahead for the first night or two of a tour so I know I can start the tour without worrying too much about where I’m going to stay. After that, I just book a day in advance with my phone once I decide where and how far I want to go tomorrow. Mostly, I use booking.com but sometimes other apps. Often as a late booker, I can get a good price if I’m not too choosy. Mind you, with covid, everything is up in the air so advance booking probably better for the foreseeable future.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2021, 09:35:40 pm »
I rode Calais-Brindisi in 1998, 11 days over 2500km.  I didn't once have to sleep under a hedge.  Accommodation did vary, but there was always a bed & food there or nearby.  I've done shorter tours on similar lines.

Similarly, about 12 years ago I cycled down to Portsmouth and booked myself on the first ferry that was leaving, which happened to be going to Bilbao, and then took a couple of weeks to cycle home. I had problems only one two nights - one in Limoges when just about every room in the city was booked for some reason and I ended up paying through the nose for a horrible hotel and again near the end of trip when I arrived in Amiens on the same day as some kind of trade fair. There were no rooms to be had in the city, according to the Tourist office, so I rode another 20 miles or so to Albert, found a lovely family hotel and ended up staying two nights so that I could spend a day exploring the WW1 memorials. 

Returning to the OP's question - one point to bear in mind is that B&Bs don't, as a rule, provide evening meals, so you may find somewhere that seems perfect but then have to ride several miles there and back for dinner. For that reason, I prefer pubs or hotels to Mrs Kelly's B&B or 'guest houses' and youth hostels.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #12 on: 19 May, 2021, 12:04:09 am »
How big is the budget?  I tour on limited means and the bargains are to be had by searching for them and booking ahead.
If it's just a bed for the night, and particularly midweek, Travelodge and Premier Inns can be good value.  I have six nights booked over the next couple of months, £22 - £35 per room. If there's two traveling together it can be cheaper than the YHA and not much more than campsites!

« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2021, 12:29:13 am »
I'm toying with a few days away in summer.  I'll be booking ahead if I do go.  (Mentality irrelevant of Covid.)

Yes I know that "turn up and it'll be fine" is a gamble, but I've failed in the past.

A few years ago we were house-hunting and quite literally heading wherever we felt.  A week off work, in the car, and following our noses as we had no plan whatsoever when we locked the front door. 

Day one: wasn't the back of nowhere, but we enjoyed a surprise carnival, had an evening meal in a restaurant, all local beds in everywhere we found were booked and we had a 15 minute drive (on a dual carriageway) to the only hotel anybody could suggest.  I wouldn't have wanted to cycle that.

« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2021, 03:36:32 pm »
Thanks all.
Lots there to consider and a big help to me

« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2021, 06:47:37 pm »
If outside tourist areas and main school holiday periods and weekends. I’d just go on spec with the idea of looking for somewhere to stop from about 3pm onwards. Tourist offices (if open) can phone around for you as the afternoon drags on, if you are that way inclined.

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2021, 08:12:49 pm »
Thanks Lightning Phil and others.

« Reply #17 on: 26 May, 2021, 10:12:29 pm »
Planning this one for the weekend...

Night one - my parents' house.
Night two - Leicester Forest East services lodge.
Night three - Leeds Travelodge (but support car from York).

In all honesty I doubt that I will get further than Leicester, since this is somewhere between touring and audax. But as a family trip, I've got a support car as backup, it's really a question of whether I can drag myself out at the crack of dawn for a ride down the A46 to Lincoln, before it gets busy.

« Reply #18 on: 27 May, 2021, 07:15:14 am »
Excellent. Enjoy the trip.
Does it parallel the Fosse Way?

« Reply #19 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:32:46 am »
Excellent. Enjoy the trip.
Does it parallel the Fosse Way?
It follows the Fosse Way, yep. A few deviations here and there, but trying to keep it as faithful as reasonable, featuring both the gravel section past Malmesbury, and the A46 Leicester to Lincoln, albeit probably following the old route around Newark. Thought being that if I set out from Leicester around 5 am, it should be OK.

I'm less fussed about sticking to Ermine St for the Lincoln-York epilogue, chances are that the A15 will get too busy.

« Reply #20 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:35:23 am »
I wouldn't ride the A15. Even overnight.

Horses for courses though, enjoy your ride and I hope the wind is either favourable or non-existant.

« Reply #21 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:59:07 am »
I wouldn't ride the A15. Even overnight.

Horses for courses though, enjoy your ride and I hope the wind is either favourable or non-existant.
The obvious alternative is the B1398, then hop onto Ermine St around the M180 junction. The A15 at ~10am-12pm on a Saturday I doubt would be fun. I do have a couple of abort plans, including one direct from Leicester to the hotel in Leeds, which is "only" 170 km, as opposed to 210 km. But I'd be pretty happy with Sheffield at 115 km, and very happy with Barnsley at 140 km, on that route.

The timings of the route have effectively been planned around the A46 section. Wind on day 2 (tomorrow!), where day 1 is just this evening's prelude... mostly cross-tail, becoming more tailwind near the end.

« Reply #22 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:59:49 am »
I wouldn't ride the A429 section, either. Not during the day, anyway.

If you want a lanes detour, I'd be quite happy to sugest one.

« Reply #23 on: 27 May, 2021, 10:26:56 am »
I wouldn't ride the A429 section, either. Not during the day, anyway.

If you want a lanes detour, I'd be quite happy to sugest one.
That bit is far less negotiable. Any detour is going to add several miles (Strava suggests 8 miles extra), we're talking about the 128 km - 180 km section of the route, which will I think be some of the toughest psychologically. If I set out at, say, 6 am, the A37 is 7am-8am, Bath around 9:30,  so Cirencester is about noon, probably a little later due to gravel. So I should be off that section by about 3pm, hopefully before people really start getting out of work. I could possibly set out an hour earlier, even. But the whole thrust of the route is to blast across the country in the tracks of Roman chariots, while the Fosse Way has some level of personal significance too (e.g. Peasedown St John is where I spent the first 15 months of my life).

For context, one of the first long rides I did (in fact, the first over 30 miles), was blasting up the A44 from Oxford to Chipping Norton, so the A429 will hopefully be within my comfort zone.

« Reply #24 on: 27 May, 2021, 11:18:23 am »
I don't know that section of the A44, but if it's like the bit around Broadway and Moreton in the Marsh, it's more bike-friendly than the A429.

The worst part is north of Cirencester: you could avoid that and stay on Roman roads by heading up the White Way as far as Salperton, then cut across to the main raod at either Stow on the Wold or north of Moreton in the Marsh. That should only add a couple or three miles.