Author Topic: Restaurants - asking for small portions  (Read 2110 times)

Restaurants - asking for small portions
« on: 20 June, 2021, 07:56:07 pm »
Mrs M & I went out yesterday evening for our birthday meal (our birthdays are subsequent days). We went to a nearby Chef & Brewer place and used some Tesco vouchers - classy or what?
We came away really stuffed, uncomfortably so! Yes, I know we didn't have to eat both courses, but it was pretty decent food, and we both seriously hate wasting food.

So - what's the etiquette / protocol for asking for smaller portions in this sort of place?
(We very, very rarely do 'posh', but neither do we do McD).
I didn't see any sign of a Childrens' Menu, but I don't want to be restricted to chicken nuggets & beans. I can't see the point in asking for a 'doggy bag' as good food doesn't reheat well.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Re: Restaurants - asking for small portions
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2021, 08:08:34 pm »
If you are happy having the same meal. Order one meal and two plates / cutlery. My wife and I often do this if we don’t want a massive portion.  With puddings it’s a case of one portion and two spoons etc.

« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2021, 08:20:37 pm »
Ask. A lot of places will do a smaller portion (possibly not a chain, though).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2021, 08:34:49 pm »
Ask for "doggy bag" and enjoyed it later.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:15:03 pm »
I just eat enough for enjoyment and never beyond that point. I have no problem leaving a plate still half loaded.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:25:25 pm »
When lockdown eased in April we went away for a week and found ourselves at a pub for food.  We phoned in advance and they "had a children's menu".  On arrival this turned out to be "a small adult's portion".

I couldn't finish my main meal as it was so oversized.  My wife couldn't finish her meal as it was not only oversized but not what she was expecting (details withheld to protect pub).  My daughter had a "ploughmans" as it was all that she would accept, so basically ate a slab of cheese and some bread for way over the price of a slab of the cheese at the supermarket.  My son ate hardly any of his fish and chips as it "tasted funny".

We eventually decided we'd all eaten as much as we could, paid, and left without complaint.     The fully loaded plates may have spoken for themselves.

It was our first time out since covid hit, and it made me realise just how much I've enjoyed lockdown and not having to eat out.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:24:40 pm »
I just eat enough for enjoyment and never beyond that point. I have no problem leaving a plate still half loaded.

This, though I accept that many people, particularly of the older generations, had this ability beaten out of them at a formative age.

Ultimately, the food is a marginal cost for a restaurant, and you rarely get bad reviews for severing too much of it.  Stands to reason that portions will tend to inflate to USAnian proportions.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2021, 09:35:13 am »

This, though I accept that many people, particularly of the older generations, had this ability beaten out of them at a formative age.

Ultimately, the food is a marginal cost for a restaurant, and you rarely get bad reviews for severing too much of it.  Stands to reason that portions will tend to inflate to USAnian proportions.

Your comment about generations is spot on - as post-war baby bulge person (rationing was still on) it was drummed into me and my brothers to eat everything on the plate.

However, I have been reading various news stuff in the past few days about more and more people here in the UK adopting the US "doggy bag" approach to leftover restaurant food [although some of the doggy bag reasoning in the US, especially with apartment dwellers in big cities, is that they have minimal kitchens and don't prepare a lot of food at home]

ian

« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2021, 10:32:19 am »

The US attitude to taking home what you don't eat is theoretically a good idea though the expectation that you eat till you feel like a blimp and still have enough food to take home a meal has fuelled portion size inflation even further (because people would genuinely complain if they arrived at the end of the meal to an empty plate). Generally, if you eat out with any frequency, you end up a fridge full of boxes and an increasingly parlous game of food roulette.

I'm from the generation that had to clean it's plate, my mother was never joking when she said if you don't finish that you're getting that tomorrow. Given her cooking skills that was a grim fate. Mix that food parsimony with US portion sizes and you're soon going to need a pick-up truck to get around.

Any decent restaurant where they cook from scratch, you can, of course, ask for less food and they'll have no problems with that – but I imagine any chain place is mostly just reheating or frying pre-portioned food, so they may not accede. Personally, I'd rather go to the former where there's someone in the kitchen who can and actually is cooking ingredients rather than reheat catering supplies.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 21 June, 2021, 03:36:10 pm »
[OTish]
Though we weren't allowed to leave food on our plate, we either served ourselves or let Mum know how much we wanted to eat so were only had portions to suit our appetite at home.
Makes sense to me!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2021, 03:38:08 pm »
although some of the doggy bag reasoning in the US, especially with apartment dwellers in big cities, is that they have minimal kitchens and don't prepare a lot of food at home

Increasingly true in the UK, now that nobody can afford houses.