Author Topic: Woman Taking Different Knees?  (Read 16286 times)

Re: Woman Taking Different Knees?
« Reply #125 on: 03 August, 2021, 12:35:23 am »
J. that sounds terrifying - do you ever forget you've got them on when you dismount?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #126 on: 03 August, 2021, 12:45:05 am »
J. that sounds terrifying - do you ever forget you've got them on when you dismount?

Dismounting? No. Heal strike when pedalling round corners too fast. Yes...

The looks you get when wearing a short skirt, knee high CFM boots, and wheel out the ultraracing bike. Swing the leg over the cross bar. And ride off on the aero bars. Ladylike is not a term oft used to describe me. Terrifying is quite common.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #127 on: 03 August, 2021, 08:57:35 am »
I thought ladylike was your standard operating model. No, sorry, like ladies isn’t it? :facepalm:

;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #128 on: 05 August, 2021, 04:28:53 pm »
I’ve fallen behind on this thread, so forgive me if I’m repeating anything.
In response to J’s comments about men wearing the same thing, where as women have to decide on what is appropriate and have they worn it before. I have, in the past, got quite annoyed at dress code rules because I’ve had to wear a dark grey suit with shirt and tie even on stupid hot days, when my female colleagues have been able to swan in wearing comfortable short skirts. That situation had changed a lot in IT by the time I left, and formal wear was only really required when visiting (new) customers ant techs could even then still get away with jeans and black T’s (regardless of gender). It certainly balanced the scales when in the base office as we all pretty much wore jeans/chinos and polo shirts/sweatshirts, although the ladies still had more flexibility in the hot weather if they chose.

The thing is, you could have worn the same dark grey suit every single day in that job, and while it is uncomfortable in the heat, if your female colleagues had worn the same short skirt every day, people would comment. Not to mention no doubt if the skirt was too short someone would comment.

MrsC is currently taking part in a '100 day' challenge; wear the same dress for 100 days, documenting it with photographs.

Yes, it is marketing "buy our wool dress, it doesn't get smelly", you can wear it every day."
On the other hand, she reports it is enormously freeing. She doesn't wake up and wonder what to wear that day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #129 on: 05 August, 2021, 05:51:43 pm »
MrsC is currently taking part in a '100 day' challenge; wear the same dress for 100 days, documenting it with photographs.

Yes, it is marketing "buy our wool dress, it doesn't get smelly", you can wear it every day."
On the other hand, she reports it is enormously freeing. She doesn't wake up and wonder what to wear that day.

I would like to know who is selling such dresses.

J
--

« Reply #130 on: 05 August, 2021, 08:25:48 pm »

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #132 on: 07 August, 2021, 09:43:02 am »
Nothing to do with sport but (at least superficially) to do with women and their clothes, here's something I read this morning:
If you are sitting in the Underground and a well-dressed woman happens to walk along the car, watch the eyes of the other women. You will see that every one of them, with the possible exception of those who are even better dressed, will watch the woman with malevolent glances, and will be struggling to draw inferences derogatory to her.
Russell, The Conquest of Happiness, as quoted by Stebbing in Thinking to some Purpose. And the purposes of his writing and her quoting are, of course, not really anything to do with clothes, or even women.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #133 on: 07 August, 2021, 10:26:28 am »
Nothing to do with sport but (at least superficially) to do with women and their clothes, here's something I read this morning:
If you are sitting in the Underground and a well-dressed woman happens to walk along the car, watch the eyes of the other women. You will see that every one of them, with the possible exception of those who are even better dressed, will watch the woman with malevolent glances, and will be struggling to draw inferences derogatory to her.
Russell, The Conquest of Happiness, as quoted by Stebbing in Thinking to some Purpose. And the purposes of his writing and her quoting are, of course, not really anything to do with clothes, or even women.

Um. No. I'm trying to see what my Gaydar or BiFi makes of her... cos I'm an awful human being...

J
--

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #134 on: 07 August, 2021, 10:34:15 am »
I’m usually thinking either how uncomfortable the shoes look or how I’d cut a pattern for the outfit.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #135 on: 07 August, 2021, 10:43:20 am »
I’m usually thinking either how uncomfortable the shoes look or how I’d cut a pattern for the outfit.

Yeah, that too.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #136 on: 07 August, 2021, 12:44:36 pm »
I'm just relieved it's not a potential creepy man.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #137 on: 07 August, 2021, 02:12:49 pm »

How does she walk in those heels?
How long does it take her to do her hair? What time does she have to get up in the morning?
What job does she do to afford that coat? That bag? Those shoes?
Why spend <insert ridiculous sum> on something like a bag or shoes, when you could have <kayak/new bike/house on the West Coast/feed and pay vet bills for a Carpathian Shepherd/retire early and spend the rest of your life living in a cottage by the sea writing queer spec fic>?
Why would anyone want to wear a skirt in public they can barely walk in?
Didn't that wifey in Jurassic World insist her character would wear heels because that's the kind of woman she is? How bizarre.
How ridiculous was Jurassic World? And that sequel. Ugh. It belongs in the same place as Highlander 2 (the abomination that does not exist).
I wonder if Mum's still pissed off at Mr Bait for his "boots of death" quip.
Oh, is this my stop?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #138 on: 08 August, 2021, 02:24:11 pm »
Stebbing's response was that she has not noticed these envious glances but this might be because she fails to recognize the well dressed woman. She also is uncertain whether she counts as a respectable woman (thought she doesn't attempt to define "respectable"). She goes on to doubt whether Russell really meant "every one of them" (she uses him as an example of the danger of immoderate language, speaking loudly as she calls it, and the fallacy of the undistributed middle).

The fallacy of the undistributed middle is
(click to show/hide)

I don't know if either of them have anything to say about men reacting to other men's clothes.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #139 on: 10 August, 2021, 03:10:35 pm »
Women’s sports associations across Europe have called for the resignation of the presidents of both the international and European handball federations, accusing them of “blatant sexism” for rules that require female players to wear bikini bottoms.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/10/handball-chiefs-urged-to-resign-bikini-bottoms-rule-ihf-ehf-sexism-norwegian-fined

Illustrated with a photo of the Danish team wearing shorts in 2019, which admittedly was in Qatar but still would seem to establish a precedent not to require bikinis?

« Reply #140 on: 10 August, 2021, 05:31:37 pm »
No precedent is needed.  They shouldn't have to.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #141 on: 10 August, 2021, 07:53:20 pm »
The only time clothing should be mandated in sport is for safety reasons, and the only time an item should be banned is if it is performance enhancing and not available to all participants.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.