Author Topic: Anyone know about Moulton F-frames?  (Read 5501 times)

Re: Anyone know about Moulton F-frames?
« Reply #50 on: 16 November, 2021, 07:08:27 pm »
The rattling might just be the hub gear.  Sometimes happens with 16" wheels, because they are rotating faster.  One thing to try would be if it just happens when you are freewheeling, but not when there is any forward pressure on the pedals.  In which case, nothing to worry about.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #51 on: 17 November, 2021, 08:07:25 am »
It's not the normal Sturmey rattle - it's something lighter than that.  It might actually be the rear light, a new Axa Juno.  I'm going to try taking that off next.  I can't get the mudguard to rattle at all - it is bolted up very hard, with rubber washers in there too.  Going to temporarily change the rear wheel for one with an AM hub that used to be in my Brompton before it went 2-speed.  Needs respacing and redishing slightly.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #52 on: 24 November, 2021, 08:54:44 am »
20211121_105714 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

First long ride.  It rattles a bit but it goes fast enough.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #53 on: 24 November, 2021, 08:42:54 pm »
Same colour as my MK3, I need to get that out of Sprogs' kitchen soon and start overhau...Fettling it back to health. Mine has a Dacon drive on the back and the two sprockets on it are the "Whatever was lying around" when Liz' and Richard originally put it on there. 
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #54 on: 27 November, 2021, 08:10:13 pm »
Very good. The white housing is a nice touch.

And you went to church.

rogerzilla

« Reply #55 on: 30 November, 2021, 03:01:35 pm »
Very good. The white housing is a nice touch.

And you went to church.
They all had white housing.  Greasy marks be damned!

rogerzilla

« Reply #56 on: 02 January, 2022, 06:08:28 pm »
A set of secondhand fork bellows just sold for £30 on eBay.  The closure of Moulton Preservation is causing issues now.  I bought and stripped a series 2 bike for parts recently, which is the only way to get things like bellows and fork bushes at the moment.  Unfortunately MP was always an independent venture and the owners'  club can't take over the supply of new parts.

« Reply #57 on: 02 January, 2022, 08:05:57 pm »
Moulton Preservation is temporarily shut because Michael Wolfe is seriously ill. After his devotion to the F-frame Moultons over several decades, I'd be surprised if he hasn't planned how to ensure its continuation for the future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #58 on: 02 January, 2022, 08:46:00 pm »
You would like to think so but I’ve not seen or heard of anything along those lines actually happening yet and I try to keep my ear to the ground regarding this sort of thing.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #59 on: 02 January, 2022, 09:34:24 pm »
AIUI, MP is slightly more than just Michael, but no-one seems to be taking over parts supply, which is the big issue.  Rebuilds can be carried out by other people or DIY, and the expert fork brazer is still working, so there's less of a problem with the labour side.

I have enough parts and spares for the foreseeable future but the risk is that, even in the last six months, good bikes will have been cannibalised rather than being restored, which was what MP was trying to address.  I know I've done it.

Rear pivots are obtainable from other sellers and are generally fine, although I've sent a couple of bushes back because they weren't a proper press fit (they were replaced with good ones by the sellers).  I may start making pivot kits myself, if I can get the bushes made economically.  They are tricky because the nylon type shrink when press-fitted, so must be a few thou* oversize (ID and OD) before fitting. 

*everything is imperial, of course