Author Topic: I should have got an STD  (Read 1373 times)

I should have got an STD
« on: 01 November, 2021, 06:58:53 pm »
We all know that you’re more likely to see the Loch Ness Monster than a GP at the moment. However, I understand that SOME Pharmacists can prescribe.
I’ve got a fairly minor chest infection. I get them frequently. I thought I wouldn’t trouble the GP, I’d find a Prescribing Pharmacist.
First find one. I rang all pharmacies within 5 miles, most didn’t know what I was talking about. Eventually I found one - I think - the person answering the phone was vague. I realised that this was where a daughter had got antibiotics from. I was then interrogated. At the word “ chest” the shutters came down. There’s a list apparently, Chest isn’t on it. You need to see your GP.
I checked the list, it includes various things including STDs ( no, daughter didn’t have one of those).
GP phone still says they are experiencing a high level of activity, and can’t take a call. According to local Facebook pages it’s said that since last Christmas.

IJL

Re: I should have got an STD
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2021, 09:21:01 am »
Most surgeries are doing e-consults

have a look on the website, if they are doing it you will need to type a few details and they will call you back, sometimes I prescribe on the basis of the phone call, sometimes I get people to come down and be examined .

Demand on general practice is up by about 20% and certainly were I work we are struggling with getting the calls answered.  We have receptionists off sick and isolating, some have retired over the last year.  Recruitment is difficult and when we do recruit several have decided that been sworn at down the phone is not for them.

alternatively if they're not dealing with calls or doing e-consults then re-register somewhere that is.

Despite what is been in the media, General Practice is up and running, we have had 75,000 consultations in the last 12 months for a population of 10,500

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2021, 09:24:07 am »
About 3 weeks ago I entered my symptoms and concerns into the GP webform, and then they gave me an appointment with a real human GP within a week. I think it just depends on the GP practise and how many GPs they can call on.

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2021, 09:53:56 am »
Most surgeries are doing e-consults

have a look on the website, if they are doing it you will need to type a few details and they will call you back, sometimes I prescribe on the basis of the phone call, sometimes I get people to come down and be examined .

Demand on general practice is up by about 20% and certainly were I work we are struggling with getting the calls answered.  We have receptionists off sick and isolating, some have retired over the last year.  Recruitment is difficult and when we do recruit several have decided that been sworn at down the phone is not for them.

alternatively if they're not dealing with calls or doing e-consults then re-register somewhere that is.

Despite what is been in the media, General Practice is up and running, we have had 75,000 consultations in the last 12 months for a population of 10,500

I don’t blame the GP surgery - they’re being systematically starved of resources.
In my specific case I did try to get any sort of consultation with the GP surgery. After 2 days of trying, and consistently getting “we are experiencing a high level of demand, and are unable to take your call” I got through. “ there are no appointments available today, and we don’t make appointments for future days” “ try at 8 am to see if any appointments are available on the day”
I know my GP as a fellow cyclist. He’s a devoted and caring man. However, over the last few years I notice more and more locums as the older partners retire. One moved into the prison system ( as a doctor, not a resident!)
The standard advice from local pharmacies and others is to phone 111.
I feel very sorry for doctors, who I’m sure are hugely frustrated.
In the end I used a paid for online service. Hugely professional, and set my mind at rest. The doctor explained why he didn’t think that it antibiotics were indicated given my symptoms (virus rather than bacterial infection indicated )
I still feel that I’ve somehow helping to knock a nail into the NHS though.

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2021, 10:04:38 am »
I seem to recall reading somwehere that all Pharmacists will be able to prescribe from 2026.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

IJL

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2021, 10:53:53 am »
I seem to recall reading somwehere that all Pharmacists will be able to prescribe from 2026.

There are moves to increase the number of prescribing pharmacists
however being able to prescribe is only half the issue, to be able to prescribe effectively you need to be able make a diagnosis ie, take a history and examine the patient.
its seems to me that more effort has been but into the prescribing and not enough into the examination.  This is no  criticism of pharmacists but rather the policy makers who create the situation.