Author Topic: Basic electronic payment card  (Read 2571 times)

Basic electronic payment card
« on: 05 November, 2021, 10:14:57 am »
I’ve always just taken cash out with me on a bike ride for cafes etc.
During Covid almost all outlets now only accept card payments. I’m rather nervous about taking out a usual credit card.
Is there anything available that can be limited to, say, £50, or pre-loaded with a modest amount?
If it’s relevant, I don’t take a smart phone out either ( heavy, expensive, but most of all security of data). I use a cheap, calls and text only “ burner” phone instead.

Re: Basic electronic payment card
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2021, 10:27:40 am »
During Covid almost all outlets now only accept card payments. I’m rather nervous about taking out a usual credit card.
Is there anything available that can be limited to, say, £50, or pre-loaded with a modest amount?
If it’s relevant, I don’t take a smart phone out either ( heavy, expensive, but most of all security of data). I use a cheap, calls and text only “ burner” phone instead.

You can get pre-paid credit cards (google pre-pay card).

Why does carrying a credit or debit card make you nervous?

I admit I do have a 'shielded' wallet that blocks the cards from being read.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2021, 10:41:41 am »
If you have a smartphone, use Apple or Android Pay?

It took me twenty minutes to find my wallet the other week, it's been a year plus since I physically used a card.

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2021, 11:01:38 am »
Assuming you *have* a smartphone and a card of some kind, a smart watch of some kind that supports payments would do the job and be hard to lose and possibly more secure.

I don’t know about the robot side, but in fruit land even my ancient first gen Apple Watch supports Apple Pay and the latest iOS still speaks to it, so secondhand is an option.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2021, 11:13:34 am »
I indeed just use my watch, but like any thoroughly modern person, I'm never far from my phone.

Never had a problem. Only had to dig out my wallet the other week for travels foreign (and even then, I never used a card, Apple Pay didn't trouble the Swizzlers).

ETA: just read the smartphone comment. I don't find them much heavier than a dumb phone, certainly if you have one of the smaller, cheaper models. Horses for courses though. Security-wise, they can all be wiped remotely these days.

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2021, 11:19:59 am »
I have a Revolut pre-paid Visa card, I use it for budgeting as much as security or convenience, does as claimed and is free to use.

« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2021, 01:12:03 pm »
The OP doesn't have / want a smartphone. This limits the options.
Most Fintech banks (certainly Starling and Monzo) require you to use the app. I've got a vague feeling that Revolut is mainly app dependent too.
Prepaid  cards in my outdated experience have had hefty fees (although this might have changed in recent years).
Another thought are the prepaid cards aimed at youngsters - GoHenry is a brand that comes to mind, and I don't think there's an age restriction.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2021, 01:19:39 pm »
I read the question as them having a smartphone they don’t want to take with them.

« Reply #8 on: 05 November, 2021, 01:55:36 pm »
I read the question as them having a smartphone they don’t want to take with them.

Part of Revolut's safety is that it pings the location of the smartphone when using the card.  (or so I was told)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 05 November, 2021, 02:08:46 pm »

The credit limit on my CC is HUGE.
Much routine business is tied up with my credit cards and stopping and replacing these in the event of loss or theft would be a major hassle. I REALLY don't like taking my cards out in any sort of crowd/queue either!

I'm not nervous about taking my card away from home; I'm nervous about losing or dropping it when there are too many moving folk nearby.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 05 November, 2021, 03:11:22 pm »

The credit limit on my CC is HUGE.
Much routine business is tied up with my credit cards and stopping and replacing these in the event of loss or theft would be a major hassle. I REALLY don't like taking my cards out in any sort of crowd/queue either!

I'm not nervous about taking my card away from home; I'm nervous about losing or dropping it when there are too many moving folk nearby.

Cards can be stopped pretty immediately and provided you report it ASAP, you're unlikely to be stiffed. I'm pretty sure all my credit cards have limits north of £10k (and I have no idea why, it's not like I really use them for anything other than convenience and they're all settled by DD).

That said, that's why I'm more comfortable with smart payment, there's another layer of security.

« Reply #12 on: 05 November, 2021, 04:23:22 pm »
Could open a basic bank account, with a debit card, but no overdraft. Then just top it up as required. Would avoid the fees of a prepaid card.

Also could get a payment ring, if you want something smaller/lighter that a watch. Though maybe more expensive.

« Reply #13 on: 05 November, 2021, 05:09:42 pm »
Same for me.  No wish to be lumbered with a smartphone or watch or whatever.  Spoke to people in the club and have recently taken out a Post Office Travel Card which I load with sterling of course.  Down side is that they charge £3 every time you load it, so I generally go for £100 at a time.

« Reply #14 on: 05 November, 2021, 07:53:14 pm »

Part of Revolut's safety is that it pings the location of the smartphone when using the card.  (or so I was told)
I use my Revolut card when I don't have my phone with me, no problem.

« Reply #15 on: 06 November, 2021, 12:38:20 pm »
Thanks for the ideas.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #16 on: 06 November, 2021, 03:33:58 pm »

« Reply #17 on: 06 November, 2021, 07:19:31 pm »
Revolut would probably suit you, given you are frequently abroad. They give multi-currency accounts and exchange at spot-mid for non-weird currencies (as long as you remember their rules, eg ATM withdrawals will cost a % or so at the weekend). You absolutely must have access to a smart phone, the website is for advertising only, you need the app to transfer money to it. You can add what you need to the card before you go out, and transfer any leftovers back afterwards, both free. You don't need the smartphone with you when you use the card.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #18 on: 06 November, 2021, 08:23:07 pm »
Revolut would probably suit you, given you are frequently abroad. They give multi-currency accounts and exchange at spot-mid for non-weird currencies (as long as you remember their rules, eg ATM withdrawals will cost a % or so at the weekend). You absolutely must have access to a smart phone, the website is for advertising only, you need the app to transfer money to it. You can add what you need to the card before you go out, and transfer any leftovers back afterwards, both free. You don't need the smartphone with you when you use the card.

Not sure it would, have been tyring to sort out a sim card and the vendors won't accept my UK mastercard for payment.

« Reply #19 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:58:51 am »

Not sure it would, have been tyring to sort out a sim card and the vendors won't accept my UK mastercard for payment.

I've never had my revolut card refused in any country.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 07 November, 2021, 10:03:53 am »

Come to the Netherlands, you won't be able to use it anywhere that isn't very touristy.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #21 on: 07 November, 2021, 10:17:14 am »

Come to the Netherlands, you won't be able to use it anywhere that isn't very touristy.

J

Not even in ATM’s?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #22 on: 07 November, 2021, 10:18:41 am »
Not even in ATM’s?

Yeah, it'll work in most of those. But you won't be able to do anything with the notes you get out. Card only in most places. And it's Dutch cards only. If you don't have Maestro of V-Pay, you ain't paying...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #23 on: 07 November, 2021, 01:04:01 pm »
The only place in the Netherlands, I couldn’t use my U.K. debit card was Albert Hein  (the supermarket) but every other shop/hotel/restaurant it was fine.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #24 on: 07 November, 2021, 05:09:52 pm »
I have used my Revolut all over Europe and Brazil