Author Topic: Fixie/SS - Why bullhorn bars ?  (Read 1857 times)

Fixie/SS - Why bullhorn bars ?
« on: 18 November, 2021, 06:03:23 pm »
Why are bullhorn bars typically fitted to fixie/SS bikes ?  Why not standard drop bars ?
Rust never sleeps

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Fixie/SS - Why bullhorn bars ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2021, 06:08:25 pm »
Why are bullhorn bars typically fitted to fixie/SS bikes ?  Why not standard drop bars ?

When I rode a fixie a bit more than now I found that the bullhorns (mine wer cut down drops - chop & flip - with brake levers in the open ends) were more comfortable and steering was better.    The pub-bike fixed I now use for runs into town has flat bars.

« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2021, 06:24:09 pm »
I don't use them anymore but my 2p is that bullhorn give you the same comfort as riding on tops of levers on drops but with braking accessibility and power/control of riding in drops.

It's probably a fashion thing mainly. They do look cool.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2021, 06:25:03 pm »
I think it’s partly a fashion thing but I also find bullhorns more practical for town riding. I also briefly experimented on my geared bike but they didn’t “play” as well with STIs.

« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:25:11 pm »

When I rode a fixie a bit more than now I found that the bullhorns (mine wer cut down drops - chop & flip - with brake levers in the open ends) were more comfortable and steering was better.    The pub-bike fixed I now use for runs into town has flat bars.

^ This, and also, I prefer not to be so low on fixed, so would rarely use any more bar if they were drops.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:30:30 pm »
Isn't the real question "why drops"?  :demon:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:32:18 pm »
Bullhorns mean you don't need a LH brake lever (butchered or not).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:33:54 pm »
All else being equal, they give a much higher position and a shorter reach. And they have braking the same as braking on the drops on drop bars.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:22:20 pm »
Bullhorns mean you don't need a LH brake lever (butchered or not).

Hmm - I gave up riding with just one brake on a fixed when I came a cropper fairly comprehensively . . . in 1962!

« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2021, 10:02:54 pm »
Bullhorns can be thought of as a flat bar for normal riding and bar ends for riding out of the saddle, which is often essential to force the pedals round when climbing. Since fast descending is generally not an option on fixed the rest of the drop bar is useless.

Though perversely my most frequently used fixie has drop bars with decorative brake levers that exist solely to have the hoods for climbing, because I think bullhorns look shite. All actual braking is done with legs and a cross top lever.

« Reply #10 on: 18 November, 2021, 10:19:19 pm »
Oh, and they give a more solid grip for the more aggressive climbing style often used when riding fixed.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

dat

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:09:08 am »
Main reason is I don’t use drops on fixed. Clip on bars are more use.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:38:25 am »
i used to use bullhorns on my commuter hack some years ago, it was comfy enough for short trips and acceleration away from traffic lights. on my “proper” ss bike i prefer having drops as i spend enough time in the drops to need them.

dat

« Reply #13 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:50:37 am »
i used to use bullhorns on my commuter hack some years ago, it was comfy enough for short trips and acceleration away from traffic lights. on my “proper” ss bike i prefer having drops as i spend enough time in the drops to need them.

I’m in Cornwall so find the need for pulling myself up hills greater than needing drops.

« Reply #14 on: 19 November, 2021, 01:57:55 pm »
What a good excuse to show off my Metrea bars

I can understand why they haven't become popular, but that's nothing to do with their functionality. This is the bastard child of drop and bullhorn bars, hydraulic brakes and shifters built in. The bars have a flat section over the centre and, for my money are the best commuter bars out there (and I don't even know if Metrea are still out there). Basically these (and bullhorns) work well in those circumstances where you would be riding mostly on the hoods, and then are the more comfortable option-.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15 on: 20 November, 2021, 02:52:15 pm »
my evolving setup on the Airnimal is flat bars, bar ends and aero bars, I deliberately went not drops as I can't remember the last time I used the drops on my Giant.  I find that gives enough hand positions for variations of comfort.  CAn't comment of the fixie aspect though, it'a a 1x11
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #16 on: 20 November, 2021, 03:53:15 pm »
I have drops on my fixed gear bike, but I also have crosstop levers for the extra braking position.

I do use the drops sometimes.

I didn’t really consider bullhorns when I built the bike but I probably would if I were building it now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #17 on: 20 November, 2021, 03:59:40 pm »
I ride with drops and use them about 1/3 of the time on the commute.  I do have a high bar position though, if I couldn't achieve this with the bike I would use bullhorns - they're just higher drops and I guess they must be marginally lighter and more minimal which suits the whole fixed thing.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #18 on: 21 November, 2021, 10:53:00 am »
Thanks all !!   Question was asked on behalf of a new lodger and I have just pointed him at this thread.
Rust never sleeps

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #19 on: 21 November, 2021, 11:09:09 am »
Isn't the real question "why drops"?  :demon:

This is why I ended up with bullhorn bars on my bike. I never used the drop position, so figured why have the extra bit floating about and compromise my breaking power in my primary riding position.

I do like my bullhorns, tho I wonder if they are what gave me my hand issues on Ruska.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/