Author Topic: Oval Concepts 520 Praxis Works Compact Chainset and BB  (Read 650 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Oval Concepts 520 Praxis Works Compact Chainset and BB
« on: 24 November, 2021, 01:18:54 pm »
I'm working on a bike that appears to be a bitsa - the BB is very rough and needs replacing - at present it's a threaded fairly ordinary alloy GXP BB, 24mm axle etc.

However the crankset is an Oval Concepts 520 Praxis Works Compact Chainset where the spec suggests that a press-fit BB is used . . . but the BB shell on the frame (a Kinesis) is threaded.   The crankset had been on a Fuji which IIRC had a press-fit BB.   The customer bought the frame from a bike shop (not me) and they just shifted all the components across ... and obviously fitted the threaded GXP BB.

Any suggestions for a BB to suit - or just replace the GXP? 

[The bike had developed a creak which after eliminating various things appeared to be the BB/crankset - that's what I've been trying to fix - together with a dud LH shifter]

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
Re: Oval Concepts 520 Praxis Works Compact Chainset and BB
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2021, 05:13:56 pm »
Sounds like you just need a BB that is threaded and accomodates a fairly standard 24mm axle. That means almost any shimano hollowtech2 or compatible threaded BB. I assume BSA/ISO threading and shell width. Options available for all budgets!
Avoid SRAM/Truvativ versions of GXP - they are a for 24mm axle on the drive side but 22mm on the non drive side, they tend to knock out the non drive side bearings because thats the one that takes all the side loading.

I have managed to service some shifters in the past (campag and shimano) - often they fail due to stray wire strands lost in the ratchet mechanism. Take photos whilst dismantling and lay the bits out in order and up the right way if you expect to be putting it back together!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Oval Concepts 520 Praxis Works Compact Chainset and BB
« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2021, 06:43:57 pm »
Sounds like you just need a BB that is threaded and accomodates a fairly standard 24mm axle. That means almost any shimano hollowtech2 or compatible threaded BB. I assume BSA/ISO threading and shell width. Options available for all budgets!
Avoid SRAM/Truvativ versions of GXP - they are a for 24mm axle on the drive side but 22mm on the non drive side, they tend to knock out the non drive side bearings because thats the one that takes all the side loading.

I have managed to service some shifters in the past (campag and shimano) - often they fail due to stray wire strands lost in the ratchet mechanism. Take photos whilst dismantling and lay the bits out in order and up the right way if you expect to be putting it back together!

Thanks - that's what I assumed with the BB - low to middle range Shimano (if I can find stock!) . . .  and further investigation in the shifter and you can see wear on the shifter "ratchet mechanism" - it changes OK but not silky smooth with the pull up from inner to outer ring (52-36).