Author Topic: Interesting and unusual boaty type things.  (Read 156628 times)

Re: Interesting and unusual boaty type things.
« Reply #175 on: 16 August, 2015, 08:49:00 am »
That'll buff out.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #176 on: 02 September, 2015, 12:01:40 pm »
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #177 on: 02 September, 2015, 12:17:31 pm »
Oooo. The Chilean sail training ship was in London recently. Could be that.

Edit after a quick Googling - Esmeralda
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #178 on: 03 September, 2015, 03:42:07 pm »
Is there not a tall ship type thingy that has managed to run itself aground in the pool of London?
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/1381277_10155842308895478_7238965720049818428_n.jpg?oh=3e0ad6854770b1f3f8e018c841ea7667&oe=5660B9FC
Doesn't look 'run aground' so much as 'grounded when the tide went out'. Hence the pontoon alongside.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #179 on: 03 September, 2015, 04:04:55 pm »
Is there not a tall ship type thingy that has managed to run itself aground in the pool of London?
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/1381277_10155842308895478_7238965720049818428_n.jpg?oh=3e0ad6854770b1f3f8e018c841ea7667&oe=5660B9FC
Doesn't look 'run aground' so much as 'grounded when the tide went out'. Hence the pontoon alongside.
I don't think its Pool of London.
I was it moored at Greenwich a few days ago - one of the deepest points of the river in London.
Does seem to be listing a tad though.

« Reply #180 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:13:07 pm »
Esmeralda has a murky past

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/29/pinochet-torture-chile-ship

But 'tis a four master, not three as the listing vessel appears to be.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #181 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:38:21 pm »
And only the foremast on the Esmeralda is square rigged, whereas the ship in the photo is a full rigged ship, ie all masts are square rigged. That should pin it down a bit.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #182 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:52:21 pm »

This  is what I saw (I think) last Thursday evening.
Not the Esmeralda, and facing the 'wrong' way to DM's image.
Although that doesn't mean they couldn't have turned it around (there'll doubtless be a nautical expression for that  :P)
One mast to many for the Esmeralda thobut.
The pontoon in DM's pic looks to me like the one pontooning just east of Deptford Creek.

« Reply #183 on: 03 September, 2015, 09:00:24 pm »
One mast too many for the boat in the pic, as well as this one not having yards (horizontal wooden bits sticking out from the mast), as the one in the pic does.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #184 on: 03 September, 2015, 09:39:57 pm »
Yards.
Knowledge is a wonderful thing.
Thank you, Rob.

« Reply #185 on: 03 September, 2015, 09:45:09 pm »
I would just love to take you over a square rigger one day. I detect that you would love it.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #186 on: 03 September, 2015, 10:15:00 pm »
I would just love to take you over a square rigger one day. I detect that you would love it.
Most likely.
Thank you.
I'd look forward to that, Rob.
(No pressure)
J

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #187 on: 04 September, 2015, 06:24:55 am »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #188 on: 04 September, 2015, 07:28:14 am »
Very shabby. If they've got time to put a set of fairy lights on her they should have time for a harbour stow on the sails.
Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #189 on: 04 September, 2015, 07:31:13 am »
Very shabby. If they've got time to put a set of fairy lights on her they should have time for a harbour stow on the sails.

I wonder if they've done that for asthetic effect.  But I agree, its shabby!

« Reply #190 on: 04 September, 2015, 07:52:51 am »
Undoubtedly. Possibly in a Black Pearl stylee. Shabby and unseamanlike.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #191 on: 04 September, 2015, 09:19:28 am »
Most likely.
Thank you.
I'd look forward to that, Rob.
(No pressure)
J

Hmmm. Ponders when a visit to the Cutty Sark might be in order. (Not as fun as a real working ship, but it does at least have the advantage of a) always being there, and b) open to the public. Neither of these guaranteed with any other square rigger.
Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

« Reply #192 on: 04 September, 2015, 09:41:43 am »
I want to go on a Thames spritsail barge, there are loads down at Maldon which is only a few miles away.  A yacf trip would be ace.

« Reply #193 on: 04 September, 2015, 09:46:58 am »
I witnessed a rather splendid sight at the beginning of August - a Thames barge tacking up the Blackwater, with only two people onboard (and no engine running). That was how they used to work, but seeing it done in 2015 was pretty neat. Typically they seem to have a cast of hundreds on board.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #194 on: 04 September, 2015, 11:06:44 am »

I wonder if they've done that for asthetic effect.  But I agree, its shabby!

Sails are "clewed up", a perfectly normal thing. It's usually the precursor stage to a harbour stow but in this case done for asthetic reasons. Not shabby in any way
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #195 on: 04 September, 2015, 12:42:42 pm »
I witnessed a rather splendid sight at the beginning of August - a Thames barge tacking up the Blackwater, with only two people onboard (and no engine running). That was how they used to work, but seeing it done in 2015 was pretty neat. Typically they seem to have a cast of hundreds on board.
Having sailed one, they are pretty easy. Much, much easier to handle than a dutch gaff rig (with it's huge boom). Gybing the dutch barge filled me with terror and required a minimum of 4 people (1 - leeboard winch, 1 on mainsheet, one on stays, one steering). The experienced skipper told me in anything other than a light breeze they tack right around rather than gybe.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #196 on: 04 September, 2015, 12:45:31 pm »
I want to go on a Thames spritsail barge, there are loads down at Maldon which is only a few miles away.  A yacf trip would be ace.
I've been on one of those. :thumbsup:
There's a guy who sails from what used to be called Neptune's Arm in Herne Bay, takes you with him for something like a fiver.
Goes out to the Maunsell Sea Forts.
He's a one man outfit, so at some point you can expect to be handed a rope with a request 'can you hold onto this and not let it go, I'll take it from you in a few minutes'.
The best bit though, is when he cuts the diesel and your moving along at a fair old clip, more than enough to have wind in your hair, in complete and utter silence.
Before we'd left the confines of the harbour (if you can call it that) one of the people on the barge eagerly asked of him 'So, where are we going today?'
With a resigned but patient look, like that of a man who has answered the question a thousand times he replied 'That depends on which way the wind is blowing.....'

Oscar's dad

« Reply #197 on: 04 September, 2015, 12:53:50 pm »
I've been on one of those. :thumbsup:
There's a guy who sails from what used to be called Neptune's Arm in Herne Bay, takes you with him for something like a fiver.
Goes out to the Maunsell Sea Forts.
He's a one man outfit, so at some point you can expect to be handed a rope with a request 'can you hold onto this and not let it go, I'll take it from you in a few minutes'.
The best bit though, is when he cuts the diesel and your moving along at a fair old clip, more than enough to have wind in your hair, in complete and utter silence.
Before we'd left the confines of the harbour (if you can call it that) one of the people on the barge eagerly asked of him 'So, where are we going today?'
With a resigned but patient look, like that of a man who has answered the question a thousand times he replied 'That depends on which way the wind is blowing.....'

Ohhhhh, I'd love to come with you!  Are you planning a trip anytime soon?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #198 on: 04 September, 2015, 01:00:18 pm »
Me too!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #199 on: 04 September, 2015, 01:13:08 pm »
Me thinks Jurek's mate could collect quite a few fivers off us lot!