Author Topic: Interesting and unusual boaty type things.  (Read 156686 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Interesting and unusual boaty type things.
« Reply #450 on: 14 January, 2022, 10:42:20 am »
The two happiest days in a boat owner's life ?

The day you buy her and the day you sell her.

I'm not sure I necessarily hold with that, but one of those two has just happened to me, which means I can line up the other one in short order. Huzzah !!

We need details!

« Reply #451 on: 14 January, 2022, 10:48:34 am »
The two happiest days in a boat owner's life ?

The day you buy her and the day you sell her.

I'm not sure I necessarily hold with that, but one of those two has just happened to me, which means I can line up the other one in short order. Huzzah !!

We need details!
SOLD: Merlin Rocket 3545. A plastic NSM II. The last NSM II to be built (in 1996). Sold to a chap who wants to run it in the classic fleet. It's a good pond and river design (tacks well) but tends to dig deeper when the wind blows as opposed to skipping up on the plane. It takes weight well too (which the new owner needs).

Now on the lookout for an MR Winder Mk IV.
Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

« Reply #452 on: 14 January, 2022, 10:50:22 am »
Cool!

« Reply #453 on: 01 February, 2022, 09:59:07 am »
Bingo !   MR 3675 has a new home.  Ticks all the boxes. String everywhere. ;)  Single string raking, spinny poles that are set by pulling a string (and not having to fight to get the hook into the eye on the mast), lots of other amazing rope trickery.

Photos to follow.
Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

« Reply #454 on: 01 February, 2022, 10:15:23 am »
Bingo !   MR 3675 has a new home.  Ticks all the boxes. String everywhere. ;)  Single string raking, spinny poles that are set by pulling a string (and not having to fight to get the hook into the eye on the mast), lots of other amazing rope trickery.

Photos to follow.

Looking forward to the photos  :thumbsup:

Have you seen THESE VIDEOS?

« Reply #455 on: 01 February, 2022, 10:34:58 am »
I hadn't. Thank you. V good.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #456 on: 04 February, 2022, 10:03:02 am »
Is this just a bizarre fuss about nothing - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-60256966

(Bezos boat needs a bridge temporarily removed.)

Two odd things about this.

1  Why on earth can't they step the mast once the boat's through the bridge ?
2  Why are the locals getting so upset ?  They're not permanently removing the bridge, and some local people will do very well out of the work involved in the works. Seems like they are simply begrudging a bloke they'll never meet having a stack of cash to flash.

Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #457 on: 04 February, 2022, 10:05:42 am »
For a billionaire's yacht, it actually looks roughly like a yacht.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

« Reply #459 on: 04 February, 2022, 10:38:56 am »
Is this just a bizarre fuss about nothing - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-60256966

2  Why are the locals getting so upset ?  They're not permanently removing the bridge, and some local people will do very well out of the work involved in the works. Seems like they are simply begrudging a bloke they'll never meet having a stack of cash to flash.

I suspect stepping masts that big will be huge job and the shipyard will want to use their own facilities to make sure the job goes smoothly.  Doing the job somewhere on the other side of the bridge away from the yard is probably judged to be too much of a PITA.  With a customer like Bezos I'm guessing you'll wanna get it right first time.

And yes, the more miserable and bitter cohort of the Rotterdam population are just pissed off a chap with lots of cash is perceived to be willy waving.  Even though I bet a fair proportion of those moaning are Amazon customers!

Nice looking boat BTW!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #461 on: 04 February, 2022, 11:37:08 am »
Check out this fella = https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/editorial-features/iconic-yacht-black-pearl

Beautiful and a very clever rig.  There's THIS ONE TOO.
Yup. That's pretty special, but there's no place for romantic climbing the rigging exploits, which does remove some of the allure.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #462 on: 04 February, 2022, 11:45:27 am »
Unfortunately none of my own pictures as they've been busy and haven't updated the website but for those who grew up reading or more in my case grew up (a bit) and read swallows and amazons might find the below interesting. My two girls and me got to sail her on Windemere last summer. It was bloody brilliant even if they enjoyed it so much I was demoted to being Roger and didn't get a chance to sail her myself.

https://www.sailransome.org/photos

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #463 on: 04 February, 2022, 12:44:33 pm »

It also sounds an awful lot like they're using it as an opportunity to perform maintenance on the bridge at Bezos' expense...

« Reply #464 on: 04 February, 2022, 02:18:03 pm »
Unfortunately none of my own pictures as they've been busy and haven't updated the website but for those who grew up reading or more in my case grew up (a bit) and read swallows and amazons might find the below interesting. My two girls and me got to sail her on Windemere last summer. It was bloody brilliant even if they enjoyed it so much I was demoted to being Roger and didn't get a chance to sail her myself.

https://www.sailransome.org/photos
That is splendid !!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #465 on: 04 February, 2022, 02:18:23 pm »

It also sounds an awful lot like they're using it as an opportunity to perform maintenance on the bridge at Bezos' expense...
And who wouldn't ?
Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

« Reply #466 on: 04 February, 2022, 03:05:51 pm »

And who wouldn't ?

The Rotterdam residents moaning clearly haven't read the memo from the local authority pointing out they can get a rich US bloke to pay for the maintenance of their beloved bridge.  I can imagine some Rotterdam city officials yelling "Just shut up with the moaning!"

« Reply #467 on: 04 February, 2022, 09:11:18 pm »

Photos to follow.

Just finished the last one. Very good indeed. What a cool lad.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #468 on: 04 February, 2022, 10:53:52 pm »

Photos to follow.

Not me, but this is the boat, taken at an open meeting at Whitstable in 2018.

Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

« Reply #469 on: 05 February, 2022, 08:24:16 am »

Photos to follow.

Just finished the last one. Very good indeed. What a cool lad.

Glad you enjoyed the videos.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #470 on: 05 February, 2022, 08:24:55 am »

Photos to follow.

Not me, but this is the boat, taken at an open meeting at Whitstable in 2018.

Nice  :thumbsup:

« Reply #471 on: 07 February, 2022, 05:23:36 pm »
String ?? Which string?

Rust never sleeps

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #472 on: 07 February, 2022, 05:35:28 pm »
Proves the contention that yatchs mainly exist to provide a safe breeding ground for ropes.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #473 on: 07 February, 2022, 05:50:35 pm »
Proves the contention that yatchs mainly exist to provide a safe breeding ground for ropes.

Having failed to duck on more than one occasion, I remain unconvinced by the 'safe'.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #474 on: 07 February, 2022, 05:54:49 pm »

Having failed to duck on more than one occasion, I remain unconvinced by the 'safe'.

Gybe-oh!
<Whack!>
Ah, yes. That can happen somtimes. Sorry!
Man overboard!