Author Topic: Chafed bottom on long rides (text may be NSFW, contains description)  (Read 29037 times)

"Health and Fitness" says cycling-specific stuff goes here, so:

Sometimes - but not always - on Audaxes my arse gets badly chafed.

There's a photo if you are feeling strong stomached. Warning: the image is naturally totally NSFW.

If you are unwilling to look at photos of my hairy behind (and I don't blame you), the chafing extends from the perineum all the way around the anus, roughly along the division between the skin being smooth and hairy and it being wrinkled and hairless, and nearly meets up again about 3cm behind the anus. There's also two less badly chafed arcs outwards from the perineum end towards where I guess my sit bones are.

I'm at a loss to establish what factor causes this to happen. On my one 300 I did not have this problem; on other rides I've been suffering from 150km. Things that don't seem to make a difference (in the sense that I've done them and had both affected and unaffected rides).

Kind of shorts. I've got two pairs each of two kinds of shorts.

Savlon on the bum before the ride.

Being hot and sweaty. On the 300 I sweated pretty extensively coming over the South Downs - I had at least 200km after that to get home, and wasn't significantly affected. I can't, however, say for sure that I've ever been affected on rides in very cold weather.

Any ideas? Anyone had similar damage?

Re: Chafed bottom on long rides (text may be NSFW, contains description)
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2009, 04:31:12 pm »
That's quite a photo! I keep giggling, thinking of the contortions you must have got into while trying to take it. Or did some other kind soul oblige?

But I sympathise - I have suffered simlarly once or twice and i'm not sure why. I assume it's the same saddle each time, so - could it be your position? I find that if I ride on a very flat route for a long time (in Belgium, for instance), I can end up in agony and I can only assume I sit differently on the flat, or at least don't move around as much.

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2009, 04:39:05 pm »
I'm not too sure, but is your saddle too narrow and your sit bones are not taking the weight, also I use sudocrem cream

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2009, 04:46:55 pm »
I sympathesise (?) with you.....my arse has the same problem - Changed shorts / bib tughts... saddles too Now wondering if its just the fold in the pad when on the saddle - like Ariadane its much worse if I stuck in the saddle for really long periods (not that South Wales encourages this)...
Looking forward to reading the solutions to this  - Canesten red seems to stop the sweat rash side of things.. Is it a combination of sweat and soap powder in the pad? who knows???

« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2009, 04:47:45 pm »
Savlon Antiseptic Cream gently soothes and helps prevent infection, aiding in the natural healing of minor skin disorders.
But, I don't think it is designed as a barrier / friction cream.

I use Elite Ozone cream.  It says:
# Protective cream containing the unique Ozone ingredient. -
# Ozonised natural ingredients have effective anti-bacterial properties and assist skin repair. -
# Suitable for both male and female riders. -
# Can be used before cycling as a preventative measure, or afterwards to alleviate any soreness. -
# Speeds healing of cuts and abrasions too. -
# As used by many Pro riders

Perhaps you should try a proprietory cream instead of Savlon?

« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2009, 04:50:40 pm »
Actually, cyclone's point made me think: do you always use the same soap powder when washing your stuff? And does it always get rinsed right?

And I don't know how good Savlon is but I think Chafe Ease is pretty effective.

« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:21:55 pm »
The hand in the photo is not mine; I had some assistance.

I doubt my saddle is too narrow. I use a Brooks B-17N, which is actually quite wide as road saddles go - the full-width B-17 is noticeably too wide for me, and I know my sit bones rest on the saddle because they are gently bruised-sore after rides where this problem does not develop.

I suspect soap powder is next on the list; I might try handwashing shorts with water as hot as I can stand and Dr. Bronner's.

« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:30:24 pm »
Try avoiding the Savlon as it is not intended for that purpose (in fact  I find Savlon antiseptic cream quite irritating if I put a small amount on a cut, let's say, and leave it on for a while).

Looks like some kind of chemical irritation rather than physical chafing as such.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:32:19 pm »
The hand in the photo is not mine; I had some assistance.

I doubt my saddle is too narrow. I use a Brooks B-17N, which is actually quite wide as road saddles go - the full-width B-17 is noticeably too wide for me, and I know my sit bones rest on the saddle because they are gently bruised-sore after rides where this problem does not develop.

I suspect soap powder is next on the list; I might try handwashing shorts with water as hot as I can stand and Dr. Bronner's.

Sorry can't offer any advise but how did that conversation go?
"Can you give me a hand, I can't manage"
"You want to take a photo of your arse and post it on an internet forum!!"
"erm, yes"

;D

« Reply #9 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:34:53 pm »
Try avoiding the Savlon as it is not intended for that purpose

I've had the same problem when the pre-ride smear consists of Vaseline; I've had the same problem with no pre-ride smear. Because the problem is intermittent, the trouble I have is that I change some random thing - like starting using Savlon - and I have a ride with no chafing. Then I keep on doing that thing until - as now - I get chafed again.

So, yes, I'd just got to "Savlon doesn't help". :-(

« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:46:09 pm »
Contact Ozone or the like and see if they will send you a sample?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:47:32 pm »
A thought: do you use fabric conditioner?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:50:54 pm »
A thought: do you use fabric conditioner?

No.

I have to admit the sheer amount of woo emenating from the Elite Ozone people makes me very reluctant. If a shower gel is oxygenating your blood you have a unique physiology.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #13 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:54:26 pm »
Kamillosan- amazing stuff.  Works a treat on cracked nipples, too.  And, boy, you don't know the meaning of sore till you've had those. (But no, there will be no photograph).

« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2009, 06:10:14 pm »
Kamillosan- amazing stuff.  Works a treat on cracked nipples, too.  And, boy, you don't know the meaning of sore till you've had those. (But no, there will be no photograph).

Do you mean the nappy rash stuff or the chewed nipples stuff, please?

« Reply #15 on: 23 March, 2009, 06:21:59 pm »
chafeze is fantastic stuff, I used to use it when I was running. It worked much better than vaselene

(and eased the chafing, oddly enough).

« Reply #16 on: 23 March, 2009, 06:27:03 pm »
Vaseline is a lubricant made from petroleum products.  It is not an anti chaffing agent.  Seems to me you need to look at the cream you are using and perhaps read the label and then perhaps buy a cream that is designed to do what you want - i.e. prevent chaffing.

« Reply #17 on: 23 March, 2009, 06:42:16 pm »
From the photo, it looks like you wear undepants when you cycle and they are rubbing.
It could be that?

annie

« Reply #18 on: 23 March, 2009, 06:47:49 pm »
Oh ouch.  I can sympathise.  I know that you were suffering on the Uts ride.

Several things:

Have you ever tried to ride without using any kind of lubrication or cream?

Do you use wipes, if so, what kind?

Do you sweat profusely?  If you do and your cheeks are rubbing together this may be the problem.  I am another one that swears by Kamillosan, if you can't get any I can send you some.

You know that I suffered terribly on the Uts ride and it made me wonder if I will ever be able to ride anything over 200kms :-\

Does it itch?  I am thinking along the lines of a fungal infection.

Cream will not prevent chafing.

« Reply #19 on: 23 March, 2009, 07:04:50 pm »
Cream will not prevent chaffing between skin and cloth.  Cream will prevent chaffing between skin and skin.  Some creams that is.  They provide a barrier between both layers that does not let the sweat eat into the skin.  Savlon is not such a cream.

« Reply #20 on: 23 March, 2009, 07:07:25 pm »
How's your pedalling technique? Are you moving on the saddle as you pedal? Get someone to watch you on the bike. Also consider whether your saddle is perhaps too high.

« Reply #21 on: 23 March, 2009, 07:15:30 pm »
TG: no, I don't wear underpants (when cycling). I might try, as part of a programme of permuting random things. JOOI, do _you_ do anything aimed at avoiding chafing?

Grub: I think you're being a trifle patronising there. I tried Vaseline because other riders report it works for them, not because I reached into the medicine cabinet blindfolded and grabbed a pot at random. I'm not ignoring your advice, but I'm first going to try things that are a) cheap and b) not from manufacturers that talk nonsense. There's no sense in trying more than one thing at once - otherwise if the problem goes away I won't know what fixed it.

Oh ouch.  I can sympathise.  I know that you were suffering on the Uts ride.

Actually, I was suffering mostly because of the hole in the palm of my left hand.

Have you ever tried to ride without using any kind of lubrication or cream?

Yes; that's what I always did before starting to ride 200s. I rode my first 200 with nothing, and that was when it first manifested.

Do you use wipes, if so, what kind?

No.

Do you sweat profusely?

More so than most riders, yes, judging by the crust of salt that forms on my forehead - but I can't be the only sweaty AUK...

« Reply #22 on: 23 March, 2009, 07:18:39 pm »
Also consider whether your saddle is perhaps too high.

Hm. Not impossible, but I wonder how I can check this without putting it down a little, riding a 200, and seeing if my knees fall off? :-)

« Reply #23 on: 23 March, 2009, 07:27:08 pm »
Ask another rider to watch while you pedal.
If your hips are rocking from side to side that would suggest you might be sitting too high.

I sweat loads - although not as much as some.
I have tried the following:

Sudocrem = useless
Savlon = useless
Assos cream (the cream coloured stuff, NOT the blue one) = maybe, possibly, perhaps a weeny bit beneficial.
Assiduous cleanliness of both me and my attire prior to a ride = Spot on (not that I'm suggesting you do otherwise).

HTH

« Reply #24 on: 23 March, 2009, 07:31:47 pm »
Are you sure it is chafing? Does the redness last? I sweat quite a bit and get red skin where I have been sitting but the redness disappears after a couple of hours.