Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369280 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1250 on: 13 May, 2018, 04:26:09 pm »
Kim and barakta catch up with cycling nikki OTP in their anbaric motor car...

Kim: "It is nikki.  You know what to do?"
*barakta winds down window*
Barakta: "CYCLEWANKER!"
Nikki: "LESBIANS!"
Kim (nodding approvingly): "Fair."  *drives off in a puff of electrons*

« Reply #1251 on: 13 May, 2018, 05:27:40 pm »
^ Did LOL.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1252 on: 13 May, 2018, 06:29:07 pm »
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1253 on: 13 May, 2018, 07:27:08 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1254 on: 22 June, 2018, 12:50:02 pm »
Yesterday, while I was taking a photo of my bike next to a milestone just short of Halfway (actually a third of they way round my intended route – the place is named for being halfway between Hungerford and Newbury and/or Bristol and London), a big friendly toot and a smiley wave from the unrecognized driver of an Irish-registered (I think it was Irish) car. I'm afraid I only responded with a bemused stare, wondering if I was supposed to know them.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Drunks vs Cyclists [moved to oiks]
« Reply #1255 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:28:11 am »
Moved to Oiks shouting at Cyclists thread.

Self moderated.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Drunks vs Cyclists
« Reply #1256 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:47:13 am »
Nothing do to with drunks.  People are cnuts regardless of their alcohol intake.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Drunks vs Cyclists
« Reply #1257 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:52:03 am »
Normally it happens when you're on your bike, so the standard of debate is much lower.  Most drunken zombies are tragically amusing, but every now and then you get some that decide to play chicken or try to push you off or something.

All things being equal, I'd rather be harassed for being a cyclist than the usual alternatives.

I've not had much of the bloodycyclists/road tax/helmets stuff from non-randoms, thankfully.  Though I do get the usual rubbish about my bike being invisible.

« Reply #1258 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:59:00 am »
I've had 3 verbal, I am loathed to say, 'attacks' in the past 5 days. Hell of a run.

Instance 1 -
Out celebrating the solstice last Thursday, circa 5am, a 60ish yr old shambles up to me (I was dressed in my 'cyclist' outfit) and proceeds to tell me about how cyclists hold him up when he drives to the shop, and that a cyclist swore at someone he knows. He then went on to ask why people over 30 ride bikes - they should get cars! Perhaps it was that I had been up riding all night, but my fuse was surprisingly short and I was fairly nasty to him - thus re-enforcing his view that we are scum, i presume. *sigh*

Instance 2 -
Friday. In my local pub, they know i ride bikes. Someone casually brought it up "I expect you've cycled further than that, Peat" blah blah. Then the landlord couldn't help himself and said how he'd been held up the other day (because there was no way to pass a bike because of the volume of traffic coming the other way - bikes fault, obviously) thus prompting a flood of abuse from the other patrons. All directed at me - "You lot....road tax.....helmets". I tried very hard to remain civil, when i felt my ears get hot (rage impending) I drank what was left in my glass and left.

Instance 3 -
On my way to the club run last night, waiting to pull out onto the main road. A career alcoholic (all the visible signs) on the pavement stops and leans down and squints at my bike, springs back and lets out a sarcastic "Ooooh, wooow! RESPECT mate!". I said "It's a nice colour, isn't it?" To which he replied "You lot a f***in pricks, I ........." I cut him off and assured him i'd raise his complaint at the next bicyclist meeting. Rode off.

Perhaps it's just an exceptionally bad run, but i've never been on the end of this volume of ire. I feel like it's just us and 'travellers' left as groups that can be openly derided without fear of  being labelled as some sort of '----ist'.  :facepalm:

/vent

« Reply #1259 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:02:34 pm »
Locked my bike up outside the local supermarket yesterday. When i got back some idiot came up and started trying to tell me that my slick tyres were illegal and that he would report me  ::-)
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1260 on: 27 June, 2018, 08:39:52 pm »
Locked my bike up outside the local supermarket yesterday. When i got back some idiot came up and started trying to tell me that my slick tyres were illegal and that he would report me  ::-)

I find in that situation the trick is to say "Please do, I'll wait until they arrive". Then watch as plod give them at least a caution for wasting police time...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1261 on: 27 June, 2018, 09:32:07 pm »
I can understand people being ignorant of  a) how bicycle tyres work  and  b) what the laws concerning motor vehicle tyres do and don't apply to.  But to start off with anything more antagonistic than "Do you know your tyres are bald?"[1] is just being a cock.

[1] "Yeah, they're slicks, they're meant to be like that."
"What about grip?"
"They grip tarmac better than tyres with tread[2].  It's not like a car tyre which has to push water out of the way, because the pressure's much higher and the speeds are lower.  Bikes only need a tread for riding off-road."
"I don't believe you."
"You've got google in your pocket; use it."
(etc.)

[2] Absolutely no point using the correct term in this conversation.

« Reply #1262 on: 28 June, 2018, 11:55:00 am »
Yes - that was roughly how the conversation went - I've had more or less the same one a few times with the smokers in the cycle sheds at work.

This was the first guy (and it always seems to be a male) who wouldn't accept that he was wrong.

"I can report you you know"

Yeah - good luck with that.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #1263 on: 28 June, 2018, 01:19:15 pm »
That's a conversation I don't do anymore, I think the last went something like:

"They're illegal, I could report you for that"
"Fuck off before I give you a valid reason to call the police"

Grumpy? Moi?

Last night I got something about helmets and filtering, it was difficult to make out, due to both the doppler effect and the fact the driver was leaning out the passenger window at 20mph  :facepalm:

« Reply #1264 on: 28 June, 2018, 02:02:39 pm »
"But he MADE me drive dangerously, officer!"

« Reply #1265 on: 28 June, 2018, 02:03:14 pm »
I’ve noticed I’m becoming far less tolerant as I get older, life is too short to waste time conversing politely with a thick as pig shit idiot.

“Use the cycle path” use the bus you half wit, we’ll all be safer if you do

« Reply #1266 on: 28 June, 2018, 02:32:30 pm »
^^ ooh, I like the "random infra-structure name" game.

Motorist driving past: CYCLEPATH

Cyclist catches driver at lights, knocks on window : CONCESSIONARY BYWAY

always makes me smile......small things, I know

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1267 on: 28 June, 2018, 03:09:44 pm »
I've had 3 verbal, I am loathed to say, 'attacks' in the past 5 days. Hell of a run.

Instance 1 -
Out celebrating the solstice last Thursday, circa 5am, a 60ish yr old shambles up to me (I was dressed in my 'cyclist' outfit) and proceeds to tell me about how cyclists hold him up when he drives to the shop, and that a cyclist swore at someone he knows. He then went on to ask why people over 30 ride bikes - they should get cars! Perhaps it was that I had been up riding all night, but my fuse was surprisingly short and I was fairly nasty to him - thus re-enforcing his view that we are scum, i presume. *sigh*

Instance 2 -
Friday. In my local pub, they know i ride bikes. Someone casually brought it up "I expect you've cycled further than that, Peat" blah blah. Then the landlord couldn't help himself and said how he'd been held up the other day (because there was no way to pass a bike because of the volume of traffic coming the other way - bikes fault, obviously) thus prompting a flood of abuse from the other patrons. All directed at me - "You lot....road tax.....helmets". I tried very hard to remain civil, when i felt my ears get hot (rage impending) I drank what was left in my glass and left.

Instance 3 -
On my way to the club run last night, waiting to pull out onto the main road. A career alcoholic (all the visible signs) on the pavement stops and leans down and squints at my bike, springs back and lets out a sarcastic "Ooooh, wooow! RESPECT mate!". I said "It's a nice colour, isn't it?" To which he replied "You lot a f***in pricks, I ........." I cut him off and assured him i'd raise his complaint at the next bicyclist meeting. Rode off.

Perhaps it's just an exceptionally bad run, but i've never been on the end of this volume of ire. I feel like it's just us and 'travellers' left as groups that can be openly derided without fear of  being labelled as some sort of '----ist'.  :facepalm:

/vent

I used to think the phrase, "Doesn't suffer fools lightly" was a bit weird.. like, who actually does suffer fools lightly? Then nonsense like the conversations you've related happen.

Sorry mate. I don't suffer fools lightly. #CyclesOff #FindsAnotherPub

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1268 on: 28 June, 2018, 03:24:30 pm »

I used to think the phrase, "Doesn't suffer fools lightly" was a bit weird.. like, who actually does suffer fools lightly? Then nonsense like the conversations you've related happen.

Sorry mate. I don't suffer fools lightly. #CyclesOff #FindsAnotherPub

I think folk vary in their charitable (or ignorant) tolerance (or ignorance) of idiocy.

I suppose there's a place for benign selective deafness.

Which does not stop me being a critical bitch...

« Reply #1269 on: 28 June, 2018, 05:50:25 pm »
Well, the pub people are all folks I have known for years and are (we're considered) reasonable people. This was what made it all the more upsetting.

It is SO socially acceptable to rag on all/any cyclists at the moment that they didn't feel the need to consider any counter opinion.

I'm not interested in existing exclusively in echo-chambers, but to have any sort of discussion both 'sides' need to have the ability to capitulate.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1270 on: 30 June, 2018, 09:41:06 am »
Room 101 on primetime BBC1 last night won't have helped. 'Lycra Louts' were the target of hatred and into Rm101 they went. I wonder how many people had their prejudices confirmed through a broadcast we all paid for. It's okay - is only comedy Snowflake, get over it. :(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1271 on: 30 June, 2018, 09:53:38 am »
Room 101 on primetime BBC1 last night won't have helped. 'Lycra Louts' were the target of hatred and into Rm101 they went. I wonder how many people had their prejudices confirmed through a broadcast we all paid for. It's okay - is only comedy Snowflake, get over it. :(

I'm not particularly keen on lycra louts myself, but I can tell the difference between that minority and the rest of us. 
Non cyclists will, I suppose, tend to lump us all together in their prejudice.

Who was it that nominated them?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1272 on: 30 June, 2018, 10:16:10 am »
He that hath an ill name is half hanged.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1273 on: 30 June, 2018, 12:59:47 pm »

I'm not particularly keen on lycra louts myself, but I can tell the difference between that minority and the rest of us. 
Non cyclists will, I suppose, tend to lump us all together in their prejudice.

Who was it that nominated them?

Laurence Fox. Who he?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04tjc9p

« Reply #1274 on: 30 June, 2018, 01:15:25 pm »
Didn't see the programme but if he who I think he are, he a overprivileged actor from a huntin', shootin' and fishin' over-privileged dynasty.