Author Topic: a fanci(er) fixer  (Read 4389 times)

got

a fanci(er) fixer
« on: 06 April, 2013, 01:49:47 pm »
i currently use my fixed pompino for all sorts, and have really taken to the fixed gear. it competes with (and often wins out over!) my mercian for cycling duties.

considering how much i like it, i have started tentatively considering getting a nicer fixer option

e.g a bob jackson vigorelli or a condor tempo.

would those in the know care to comment whether i'd notice any major difference with a new frame such as these (i'll be keeping the current open pro wheels)?

or is this just an exercise in wanton lusting after some blinginess??

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: a fanci(er) fixer
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2013, 07:54:27 am »
Wanton lusting, probably, but that's how most bikes are sold.

I wouldn't have the BJ.  I don't trust their framebuilding after they completely messed up a fork for me a few years ago (the spacing ended up at 90mm so I couldn't get a hub in and they had to debraze it all and start again; I never trusted the bike after that, as the fork had had a lot of heat), and there are stories of custom frames that didn't fit at all.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:14:42 am »
In contrast I've been very happy with my Vigorelli.  It arrived after a couple if weeks, 23.5 off the peg fits me well, having a proportionately shorter top tube than some of the sizes, and it is true and accurately built.  I have ridden Pomps but never owned one but from that limited experience the ride quality of the BJ is much livelier.  Despite the tight wheelbase and clearances its also a comfortable ride.  The finish is nice and has stood up well so far.  They are outstanding value for what you get - I don't know how they do it for the money.

I think you'd need to go to the likes of Dave Yates or Rourke and get a custom frame built frame to better a good BJ.

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:24:55 am »
I've got a very nice Woodrup track in 631 which I managed to get for a very good price off Retrobike.  New prices are a bit eyewatering (I think they've been hiked recently) at double what a Bob Jackson Vigorelli costs.

It's worth keeping an eye on Retrobike and LFGSS forums to get something nice and interesting 2nd hand.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:40:22 am »
I was in the OPs position a year or so ago, more or less.  In the end finances didn't work out, but I was seriously considering a Bob Jackson Vigorelli. Sgt. Pluck let me have a spin on his  round Richmond Park, while he manfully ignored the broken state of the pedals on my bike. From a sample of one, I'd get one in a heartbeat (money permitting).

But as Roger says, it's wanton lusting. Like that's a bad thing. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:57:02 am »
I've ridden fixed for years, starting with hack bikes and then getting a pomp a couple of years ago. I ride a number of audaxes on the pomp and decided to get another fixed. A went for a titanium fixed from Justin burls, who is based in Manningtree, Essex. The two bikes are very different. The Ti is lighter, more responsive, and a joy to ride. The pomp still gets used as lot, but for different purposes. The pomp is used for carrying stuff as it has a rack and also comes out when the weather is rubbish. It is unnecessary to have two fixed gear bikes but then again it can be said that having more than one bikes is too many. both my fixed bikes get ridden, so that is good enough for me.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2013, 05:26:48 pm »
http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/42153/Pearson-OnceMoreUntoTheBreach/

Pearson seam to have had an outbreak of silly names recently, but I've had my fixed Pearson Touché over five years now and its still my favourite bike, I've been using it as my commuter, winter bike, general runabout and for forum rides, its been excellent.

rob

« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2013, 06:27:25 pm »
I just bought a Tempo and it's lovely.   Definitely the most comfortable bike I've owned, but it's also the first time that I've had a bike fitting done by a professional.   There's lots oof practical touches like braze-ons and forward facing dropouts.

« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2013, 07:01:14 pm »
Another thumbs up for BJ Vigorelli here - had it 6 months and done all distances up to 300km on it so far, a pleasure to ride. You can get them to put on 2 sets of bottle bosses, rear brake fitting and mudguard eyelets, as I'm sure you've realised. I spoke to Woodrups and Mercian when I was shopping about but theirs would have cost a lot more as they only custom-build, where as the Vigorelli is "off-the-peg" so pretty good value.

If Pearson did em big enough I might have gone for theirs, but I'm 6'6" and I needed a 25" frame.

« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2013, 07:09:22 pm »
But to your actual question, it is just sheer lust, still a steel frame so not much weight difference from your Pompino I would imagine. Spend the money on something more sensible go for it!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »
but it's also the first time that I've had a bike fitting done by a professional.

Same here (Condor Tempo owner). I rode mine (an insurance replacement for my previous one which was stolen) for just 80km before the start of PBP 2011 and didn't have a single problem over those 88 hours.

Given the choice again I'd probably get another Tempo, but for a cheaper option I'd probably consider a fixed gear bike from Byercycles [1] albeit with an upgrade to a carbon fork.

1. http://www.byercycles.co.uk/Bikes/015-Byercycles.single.gear.bikes.html
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:35:22 pm »
pomp is half decent bike; if i was looking to upgrade i'd look for something substantially better/nicer (e.g. if steel, then good tubing with nice paint job and chrome, or similar)

got

« Reply #12 on: 08 April, 2013, 09:03:15 pm »
thanks to everyone for the interesting replies.

i guess i was just interested in whether either of these would be a worthwhile upgrade from the 4130 cro-mo the pomp is built with.

sure, a custom rourke/dave yates/mercian stable-mate/donhou/Ti would all be top of the wishlist but i'm afraid budget has a part to play!

it's good to hear both arguments for and against the BJ. to be honest if i was to go ahead with a fancier fixer it would come down to either the bob or the tempo.

still not too sure of the correct course of action here though!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2013, 09:50:18 pm »
This is my summer ride - a Mercian Vincitore Special with Paul dropouts:

It remains one of the loveliest things I have ever bought.  After the price is forgotten, quality endures...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

got

« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2013, 09:51:54 pm »
god that's nice...

so you're saying to keep saving then eh??

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2013, 09:53:16 pm »
Basically, yes.  It sounds to me like you're quite unlikely to regret spending an arm and a leg on a beautiful fixer.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 08 April, 2013, 10:05:12 pm »

It remains one of the loveliest things I have ever bought.  After the price is forgotten, quality endures...

S'all right, I s'pose, if you like that sort of thing...
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: 09 April, 2013, 01:04:38 pm »

S'all right, I s'pose, if you like that sort of thing...

Yeah definately looks acceptable, at a pinch  :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 18 April, 2013, 12:40:15 pm »
My experience of a pompino is that they're ok, but heavy for what they are. I transferred all the components onto a Langster frame and the difference is night and day. I don't know much about the sort of frame you're talking about, but if you're after something a bit livelier, just make sure the replacement frame is sufficiently better than the Pompino, whether it's steel, Alu or something else.

Go for it!

Jakob

« Reply #19 on: 27 April, 2013, 09:10:35 am »
I got mine custom built by Steve Goff, a completely under-rated frame builder and couldn't have been happier.
At the time,I got a lugged 653 frameset for a little more than £500 and he isn't that much more expensive now:
http://steve-goff-frames.co.uk/frames.shtml

Frame took a little more than a week, but it was delayed slightly at the painter, so it took a little more than 3 weeks in total.

Pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kigurai/sets/72157604814330624/

got

« Reply #20 on: 06 October, 2013, 08:53:09 pm »
i couldn't wait for the saving thing so i went ahead and got this:

not so sure about the tan hoods though.

just need to fit the headlamp, fettle with the saddle and bars a bit then we're off!

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #21 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:01:21 pm »
Very nice!  But it's not the tan hoods that are the problem, it's the red bar tape.  Dark brown tape and, ideally, matching saddle would sort that out.  IMO

got

« Reply #22 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:40:36 pm »
the bartape actually comes up a lot redder in the photos-it's maroon cotton tape, not quite as vivid!

i know it sounds strange, but the frame looked "beiger" when it wasn't built up, and i was a little cautious about it turning out too brown, hence the maroon tape!

looking forward to getting out on it now

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #23 on: 07 October, 2013, 01:01:16 pm »
It's not pink red, it's magenta maroon?   ;D