Author Topic: 'solid' or trad ring  (Read 1626 times)

dehomag

'solid' or trad ring
« on: 19 October, 2008, 12:51:54 pm »
Need a new chainring for the Fixed. Seen a few what I'd call solid ones which are a ring such as Zen Messenger or Miche Advanced etc. Are these just a fad or are they better (Stiffer) than traditional ones with arms and less metal such as TA Pista ? BTW are TA Piste ones any good ?

Thanks -- Dio

border-rider

Re: 'solid' or trad ring
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2008, 02:27:29 pm »
Can't say I've ever noticed any real problems with chainring flex anyway.   Even using a 50 T Stronglight 80.

TA rings are OK.  I've used the Campag Pista pattern ones, and they aren't always quite as true as Campag but they're better than cheaper makes.

dehomag

« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2008, 02:31:32 pm »
Maybe it is the chainset that differs. I was using a 86mm PCD chainset and switched to a Sugino one (130mm PCD) with a Zen Messenger ring (ex Langster) and have noticed it is much stiffer. I have a 144mm PCD Sugino GLP to try but I need a ring for it, I rather like the minimal look of traditonal rings but not at the expense of stiffness. A silver SG75 or Zen would be nads but not at that price.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2008, 02:37:03 pm »
You mean the chainset flexes ? (or at least more than the frame)

As I say, never had a problem with that.  If t does flex i can't say it ever concerned me.  The Stronglight 80 is an 86 PCD, so a 50 T ring is quite spindly

dehomag

« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2008, 02:42:47 pm »
Dunno if it was the c/s or the ring, assumed it was the ring since they are spindly and thinner than the chainset. Maybe it was the cranks or BB. The Sugino+Zen Messenger feels stiffer. I assumed the larger PCD made the difference, more metal. I was using  a 44. Maybe it was the chainset with it being quite old. My Sugino GLP is old too so perhaps it'll feel flexy too.