Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3895592 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24375 on: 08 March, 2021, 01:25:36 pm »

At least I didn't have to attempt the cable-tie-the-cassette-to-the-spokes bodge.

IME this results in shredded cable tie parts wedged in your cassette.

That's better than the wrecked rear mech that I was expecting.

« Reply #24376 on: 08 March, 2021, 06:18:17 pm »
Just down to the jubilee River and back. About 3 miles .pleasent in the sunshine 🌞
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24377 on: 10 March, 2021, 04:53:06 pm »
48k - slowly rebuilding form after vile winter + knee trouble.  9°C ave but penetrating damp wind & being underdressed meant I was frozen through. Once home only showered to warm up: not sweaty at all.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24378 on: 12 March, 2021, 01:28:30 pm »
A few miles round the local paths and roads.  A mixture of walking and cycling, I took a litter picker and large bin bag with me.  Filled it with cans and bottles within a half mile stretch of the cycle / walking path.  It's sad to see so much litter, but rather than just getting angry about it picking some up feels more useful.

And even better, I met another person doing the same thing.  Nice to know I'm not the only one doing this, despite it being a bit like that Greek gadgy rolling a stone uphill only for it to roll back down each night.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24379 on: 12 March, 2021, 01:33:42 pm »
Litter-picking seems to have become more of a thing since the lockdown.  Where it used to be the domain of organised groups (Sustrans, schools and the like) and the occasional wealthy homeowner cleaning up the area around their property, I'm now regularly seeing people out on a walk with a bin bag and litter picker.

« Reply #24380 on: 12 March, 2021, 02:08:37 pm »
Sheena and live at home son go out most weekdays during her lunchtime and take bags (for separating recycling and litter) and litterpicker. The limitation on how much they collect is the capacity of our recycling bin.

Also:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56321769

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #24381 on: 12 March, 2021, 10:18:15 pm »
Just the work run today (un-furloughed for a few days) at least the weather has subsided a bit as Wed and Thurs were a bit on the blustery side. Hey it seems I have missed all that riding home in the dark stuff, which is a plus.

« Reply #24382 on: 13 March, 2021, 01:17:38 pm »
A brilliant little ride today - 60km sightseeing in London with a sporting breeze.

It is ironic that the best traffic free roads aren't in the Chilterns on my usual circuits - they in the middle of London at the weekend, in a pandemic. Lots of start and stop of course - but I don't care: We have some superb bicycle infrastructure in parts of London, and fantastic sights and history.

I bought the Triban as a stop gap, waiting for my Elan to get built: But it is bloomin brilliant. Granted a lot of that is because my Dawes Galaxy was 20 years old and evidently  knackered. But for the money, it is an incredible Audax capable bike. The only problem I had to solve, was toe overlap. I have a small frame and big, wide feet. But with really good 28mm tyres, 35mm mudguards, 165mm cranks and the cleats a touch further forward - I've got complete toe clearance now, whilst keeping a decent mix of comfort and speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4938540133

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #24383 on: 13 March, 2021, 02:53:32 pm »
A well ventilated Two Bridges this morning.  Decided to do the tough bit into the wind first and I was very happy to see Longannet Power Station and Kincardine Bridge.  I recalled how as a teenager in 1983 I got up early one Sunday to see this swing bridge open for the last time. 

Back via the glamour of the oil refineries of Grangemouth and scenic Bo’ness where I took the higher / quieter Borrowstoun road which has been resurfaced (much needed).  Park Bistro and the Union canal pleasingly very busy and lots of cyclists coming towards me through Winchburgh where the heavy rain started.  It relented in Kirkliston but by Cramond Brig i was one of many cyclists and walkers engulfed by a very very heavy hail shower. 

Character building.   https://ridewithgps.com/trips/63785271

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24384 on: 13 March, 2021, 04:44:53 pm »
A brilliant little ride today - 60km sightseeing in London with a sporting breeze.

It is ironic that the best traffic free roads aren't in the Chilterns on my usual circuits - they in the middle of London at the weekend, in a pandemic. Lots of start and stop of course - but I don't care: We have some superb bicycle infrastructure in parts of London, and fantastic sights and history.

I bought the Triban as a stop gap, waiting for my Elan to get built: But it is bloomin brilliant. Granted a lot of that is because my Dawes Galaxy was 20 years old and evidently  knackered. But for the money, it is an incredible Audax capable bike. The only problem I had to solve, was toe overlap. I have a small frame and big, wide feet. But with really good 28mm tyres, 35mm mudguards, 165mm cranks and the cleats a touch further forward - I've got complete toe clearance now, whilst keeping a decent mix of comfort and speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4938540133

Looks like a great route - if you want to do something similar at just over 100km there's The London Sightseer Audax that runs, in normal circumstances, on a Wednesday at the end of June and on a Sunday at the beginning of September - I must have ridden it about 8 or 9 times since 2005 - same route but different every time.

« Reply #24385 on: 13 March, 2021, 06:12:36 pm »
Brilliant - thank you for the suggestion, I'll see if I can find that on google or ride with GPS. A 100km version of this type of ride is exactly what I am after for my regular circuit.

« Reply #24386 on: 14 March, 2021, 02:39:30 pm »
A shorter 20 mile loop through the parks. Less windy today. I've passed this bench so many times - but today it was time to stop, take a picture, eat some sausage roll, and watch the world go by.

« Reply #24387 on: 14 March, 2021, 03:17:24 pm »
What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24388 on: 14 March, 2021, 03:50:29 pm »
Please can you put that on the front page of Strava?

I'm as guilty as the next person of getting a bit carried away with 'the numbers' - and I drip in hypocrisy with my power crank, heart rate monitor and wahoo... but... I regularly need to remind myself that cycling is a joy to be savoured, not a torrent of numbers to be smashed and improved.

Nobody will stop on that bench - it's at the entrance to the park, so people have other things on their mind, either starting their walk, or going home. The cyclists are either bombing down hill, or grovelling up hill and the seat is half way up. What crazy person stops half way? And the more popular footpaths are on the other side of the road.

It is perfect.

You just have to be the weirdo that stops mid climb, traipses through the mud and brambles, and your reward is the only empty bench in all of Richmond Park on a Sunday: And from that glorious platform - you can survey the rest of the world, which can't see you from their private worlds, even though you are in plain sight.

Smashing.

« Reply #24389 on: 14 March, 2021, 04:19:37 pm »
I learnt to race offshore when the only electronic aid was a Decca and wind speed and direction dials, oo yes, and a car radio to catch the Shipping Forecast and a VHF to call for help.

We watched as other newer boats in the fleet slowly filled up with more and more electronics. We ended up with a GPS (I think Decca was being turned off) but remained otherwise unencumbered. Somehow sailing from A to B became more satisfying the less sophisticated our boat became in comparison.

I've carried this mindset through to cycling. I have a simple Cateye computer which I really only use to record how far I've gone as a matter of interest when it comes to replacing parts or work out how far I've cycled this year.

I tried Strava for a bit, but found the slavish need to record every ride irksome, so bailed out.

The whole point of cycling for me is either to get to work (I wish) or to escape the electronic walls that ubiquitous technology enclose us with, and relish being in the great outdoors, unworried by beeps.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24390 on: 14 March, 2021, 06:33:16 pm »
I've taken the computers off my bikes for similar reasons but kept the Etrex. I use that for navigation and to an extent to show me speed and where I've been but I found the computers were visually cluttering and trailing wires. If I'm just riding round town, then I don't have recording device. Haven't cancelled the Strava account but have only ever put a few rides on there. Last one must have been, at a guess, 2017. Present experience beats record.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24391 on: 14 March, 2021, 08:50:44 pm »
A great day out on the tandem yesterday: from Killearn over to Kippen and a take away coffee from the cafe there while catching up with some pals.  The cafe was mobbed with cyclists but the wait wasn't too bad which meant we only caught the edge of a freezing shower going over the mosses to Thornhill.  On the way toward the Lake, we watched some newborn lambs and had a chat with the shepherdess.  She informed us they were ryeland sheep and the lambs had been born the previous evening. A rest in a bus shelter in Arnprior before the climb up to the top of the world (not as bad as it sounds, but a first for us on the tandem) and back, but not before we clipped the edge of another cold shower.  A cracking 65km.

« Reply #24392 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:04:28 pm »
46km on little lanes to nearly Heathfield and back, with a little bit of forest track for good measure. That was smoother than some of the lanes.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #24393 on: 14 March, 2021, 11:34:39 pm »
I learnt to race offshore when the only electronic aid was a Decca and wind speed and direction dials, oo yes, and a car radio to catch the Shipping Forecast and a VHF to call for help.
Me too .... and I remember how the Decca could only tell you your position if you told it an approximate position first, and could easily end up one or more "cells" out - resulting in it giving a position on top of the South Downs when the boat was clearly still afloat on the English channel. I also remember a significant dead patch somewhere between Lands End and Ireland, which added a certain excitement to trying to locate the Fastnet rock and sail round it!

We watched as other newer boats in the fleet slowly filled up with more and more electronics. We ended up with a GPS (I think Decca was being turned off) but remained otherwise unencumbered. Somehow sailing from A to B became more satisfying the less sophisticated our boat became in comparison.
My skipper reckoned that in the early days the "GPS and navigation computer equipped" boats just kept pointing in the direction the GPS told them to go for the destination and didn't bother to make the necessary tidal allowances, resulting in a direct (relative to land) cross channel route but an S-shaped track through the water. Whereas we old schoolers still did our tidal offset calculations and course plotting the traditional way, resulting in an S-shaped route relative to land but the shorter and therefore faster direct track through the water.

« Reply #24394 on: 15 March, 2021, 11:09:54 am »
Me too .... and I remember how the Decca could only tell you your position if you told it an approximate position first, and could easily end up one or more "cells" out - resulting in it giving a position on top of the South Downs when the boat was clearly still afloat on the English channel. I also remember a significant dead patch somewhere between Lands End and Ireland, which added a certain excitement to trying to locate the Fastnet rock and sail round it!

My skipper reckoned that in the early days the "GPS and navigation computer equipped" boats just kept pointing in the direction the GPS told them to go for the destination and didn't bother to make the necessary tidal allowances, resulting in a direct (relative to land) cross channel route but an S-shaped track through the water. Whereas we old schoolers still did our tidal offset calculations and course plotting the traditional way, resulting in an S-shaped route relative to land but the shorter and therefore faster direct track through the water.
The first Decca I encountered was a box about 2' x 2' x 3', bolted to the chartroom bulkhead. Its read out was three dials, red, purple and green, that showed numbers. The charts all included numbered red, purple and green parabolas and all you had to do was use the numbered parabolas to fix your Decca position. (That vessel was a bit bigger than a racing yacht though.)

That Decca hole in the Irish Sea ?  Yup. As far as we could make out it started a few miles North of Lands End and went all the way to the Rock. At just about the same time the Decca failed we managed to ship a wave with the cabin hatch open and the chart table got drenched, knocking our VHF out.

During the race the expectation was that you radioed your position once a day, so our shore teams were becoming increasingly anxious until the RORC team on the Rock reported our rounding. Fun times !

Agree with you on the straight line through the water thing too.

The other long lost joy was that of transcribing the forecast, drawing the weather map and then determining which way to go based upon your interpretation of the data and your prediction as to how it would pan out after that.

Now all they have to do is have Navtex churn out the map and the PC run 10,000 simulations to work out which is likely to be the best route. Where's the fun/skill in that ?

Rust never sleeps

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #24395 on: 15 March, 2021, 11:43:30 am »
We used to use Decca in the air too, though it was Navigators' magick and I have absolutely no idea to this day how they did it. Bit like Loran and Astro; black arts that pilots aren't inducted to.

« Reply #24396 on: 15 March, 2021, 06:07:00 pm »
A lovely couple of hours continuing to explore the new environs, taking in Alderton, Beckford and Dumbleton before grabbing a coffee at Hailes Farm, near Winchcombe.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24397 on: 16 March, 2021, 09:05:03 pm »
Well, that was an epic.  Puncture 17 miles out.  Messed up first attempt, trapping the bead (it's tricky to check it when using CO2) and had to use second tube and second gas canister.  I usually only carry one so this was pretty lucky/prescient.  It is apparent that the wheel is at fault and is somehow abrading the tube despite changing the rim tape.  It will go again within 30 miles.

We ride back fast.  Really fast.  Tailwind helps.

2 miles from (my) home, Sam gets a puncture.  He eventually gets the tube out (it's a mega-tight tyre).  Big thorn.  Then he discovers he hasn't brought a tube.  He is Not Happy.  I ride home and get a big lantern, tube and track pump ready.  It's quicker and warmer for him to walk to mine than it is for him to wait for me to drive out with spares.  He arrives.  I take the wheel into the house and fix it.  It needs a VAR tyre lever, the special non-pinching one, to get it back on (never had to use it before!).

He is home now - he lives 3.5 miles away.  The bike made it.

Edit: I patched the tube this morning and my puncture was a conventional one through the tyre tread - not a wheel fault at all.  Hedge cutting season?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #24398 on: 17 March, 2021, 09:27:23 pm »
50 miles. After a couple loops of the block to make up the distance. Haven't done that in one go since September.

Grey first third, raining for most of the second two-thirds when only a bit of drizzle forecast.

Then the moment I pull up at home the clouds parted and the sun came out.

The worst part is that I didn't eat my sandwich I'd packed along as didn't want to stop and cool down. Luckily the little piece of cake I scoffled whilst I got my waterproof jacket out was just enough to tide me over and I only started to flag for the final couple miles.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #24399 on: 18 March, 2021, 07:28:09 am »
While my wife was doing two hours of Child sexual exploitation (I'm pretty sure it was online training - at least I hope so) yesterday evening I thought it was a good idea to stretch my legs a bit.
It's a long while since I've done any rural riding in the dark, but it was a jolly good ride. It was also the first ride over 30 minutes of the year I'm ashamed to admit.
I headed out into the sunset on familiar roads west of Leicester and as the sun finally disappeared so did the traffic.
It was a fine reminder of how much I used to enjoy riding at night, and an inspiration to do the same again.
It wasn't far, it wasn't fast, but it was excellent.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.