Author Topic: cambrian connections - how ?  (Read 4926 times)

border-rider

cambrian connections - how ?
« on: 08 November, 2009, 05:38:49 pm »
I know nothing about this - is it like the Mesh, and if so where can I find a list of nodes ?

Weirdy Biker

Re: cambrian connections - how ?
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2009, 05:56:46 pm »
Yes it is.

PM me your address and I'll email you a couple of PDFs that shows the mesh in detail.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2009, 11:05:21 am »
If anyone else is interested, they're here

Cambrian Connections, North

Cambrian Connections, South

Thanks to FY, and to DL for doing them in the first place.

Note that the contact info for DL on the Southern map is out of date

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2009, 11:07:41 am »
Thanks chaps - very useful. :thumbsup:

edit: though it's a shame some of the control points are so close together - and that you'd need to obtain proof at each point.  Might be better to use the map as a basis for DIYs rather than the Cambrian Connections, though that's probably not in the spirit of the thing.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2009, 11:19:52 am »
Presumably the map distances are all you need to enter a Cambrian Connection; a DIY route might still be subject to the organiser confirming the control distances independently by another means...though I suppose that if you make it clear where the distances came from it should be fine.

FY also made the point by email to me that:

it is probably possible to combine Colin Beazant's cambrian series in the new ECE permanents organised by Martin Malins.  This would mean you'd benefit from the AAA points on those rides (which the mesh doesn't offer) if you're interested in such things.

It's good that we have so many options.  

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2009, 11:28:41 am »
It would be nice to have this clarified. The Midlands Mesh and Middle Road seem to be similar. It was my impression that:

You don't HAVE to use every control point, but you must check your distances by one of the normal (DIY) means. In many cases you could probably assume that certain legs will just add together e.g.

Tregaron-Llanwrtyd-Brecon = 30+34 = 64, because there are no shortcuts available,
but you must submit your route beforehand if you want to be sure.

So these meshes act as a handy guide for building good routes, or as a set of ready-made legs if you are prepared to control at every named point. (I confess I have stuck with DIYs, except where SteveA recommended a Middle Road route - and even then I had a very confusing conversation with poor Ross about this!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2009, 11:39:16 am »
Okay now I'm going to profess ignorance... ECE permanents  ??? I'd love to be able to attach AAA points to the routes, especially here in South Wales. I'll try the Connections thing as my next permanent (which  will have to be pretty soon as a result of the Transporter DNS  ::-))

« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2009, 12:03:43 pm »
Okay now I'm going to profess ignorance... ECE permanents  ???

Extended Calendar Event.

Calendar “add-on” rides; A Marriage made in Heaven?

Allows you to wrap a Calendar event (or but not a Perm) up with some extra kilometers to make a longer DIY ride, with the added benefit of keeping any AAA points that the Calendar event or Perm has.

[EDITED]
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »
Okay now I'm going to profess ignorance... ECE permanents  ???

Extended Calendar Event.

Calendar “add-on” rides; A Marriage made in Heaven?

Allows you to wrap a Calendar event (or Perm) up with some extra kilometers to make a longer DIY ride, with the added benefit of keeping any AAA points that the Calendar event or Perm has.

A perm ? really ? I asked on here about this a while ago and was told no.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 09 November, 2009, 12:24:16 pm »
It would be nice to have this clarified. The Midlands Mesh and Middle Road seem to be similar. It was my impression that:

You don't HAVE to use every control point, but you must check your distances by one of the normal (DIY) means. In many cases you could probably assume that certain legs will just add together e.g.

Tregaron-Llanwrtyd-Brecon = 30+34 = 64, because there are no shortcuts available,
but you must submit your route beforehand if you want to be sure.

That's how it looks to me.  I suppose that as long as you submit your route as  Cambrian Connection and use the given CC internodal distances then it should be accepted with no questions.

If you use the CC distances to assemble a DIY perm then you'd have to check them using Autoroute etc.  I think.

edit: though it does say that the distances are for guidance only, and the rider has to show that the distance is adequate.

« Reply #10 on: 09 November, 2009, 12:27:39 pm »
A perm ? really ? I asked on here about this a while ago and was told no.

Doh. Yes, Calendar events only. Fixed it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 09 November, 2009, 12:45:07 pm »
In many cases you could probably assume that certain legs will just add together e.g.

Tregaron-Llanwrtyd-Brecon = 30+34 = 64, because there are no shortcuts available
I've just Actually Bothered to read the text on those posted maps - it does seem to confirm what I wrote above. Shame the paragraph is split across the two scanned JPGs, missing out an entire line ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 09 November, 2009, 12:47:40 pm »
In many cases you could probably assume that certain legs will just add together e.g.

Tregaron-Llanwrtyd-Brecon = 30+34 = 64, because there are no shortcuts available

That's how I read it too. And if the line continues at the same angle through a node you don't have to control at that node.  A change of angle means that you do.