Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331978 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #450 on: 07 October, 2011, 09:36:24 am »
In some thread or other I report on doing SCIENCE with a straight-out-of-the-freezer Trangia burner.  While there were definite issues getting it going at those temperatures, the firesteel was no worse than any other ignition source...

Best method seemed to be to spill the meths round the rim of the burner and light that, or to bootstrap the whole process by pre-heating with the lid (having first removed the O-ring!) from below.

« Reply #451 on: 07 October, 2011, 12:21:21 pm »
I was inspired by this thread to get one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/762946/light-my-fire-swedish-firesteel-mini

and I was inspired by a 20% discount coupon to get one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/648696/gregory-denali-pro-pack

The pack won't help much for cycling, but I do want to do some backcountry travel this winter, and some longer trips next summer.

« Reply #452 on: 11 October, 2011, 07:48:17 pm »
Took my Alpkit Gamma out of a stuff sack and broke the damn battery case opening it. So ordered a new one..... :facepalm: Did make me wonder if they become brittle after a while or may need a bit of vaseline applying around the cap nibs.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #453 on: 12 October, 2011, 08:18:47 am »
Took my Alpkit Gamma out of a stuff sack and broke the damn battery case opening it. So ordered a new one..... :facepalm: Did make me wonder if they become brittle after a while or may need a bit of vaseline applying around the cap nibs.
My first Gamma broke this way and although it was over a year old I contacted Alpkit and the send me a free replacement.  Truth be told I'd only changed the batteries twice so it shouldn't have broken but great customer service by Alpkit.

« Reply #454 on: 12 October, 2011, 07:29:25 pm »
Same experience have been asked to send back and they will fix or replace. Great service.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #455 on: 14 October, 2011, 05:19:30 am »
Yesterday I bought 30 metres of 3mm paracord. £5 from Quartermasters Stores ( sort of army surplus ) in Hanley.I can start playing with my recently acquired tarp now :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #456 on: 14 October, 2011, 06:41:09 am »
I love paracord but then I am a string / rope / knot nut. When I'm President of the World basic knot tying will be taught in schools. Being able to tie a bowline is a life skill.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #457 on: 14 October, 2011, 06:48:41 am »
The last tme I was knotting was in the Cub-Scouts which was a bl$$dy looooooong time ago.Is the bowline the one where the rabbit comes up out of the hole,round the tree & back down the hole? I can still do a reef knot.
lLarning* to do slippery hitch knots & clove hitches etc. will be fun :-\ but it's got to be done.

eta * learning to spell would be good too ::-)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #458 on: 14 October, 2011, 06:58:55 am »
That's the chappy!  An extremey useful knot, being able to tie a bowline round yourself with one hand could save your life, eg you get stuck in quick sand and somelone throws you a rope.

Like I said, when I'm President of the World it'll all get sorted. Must go now as I'm working on a global Moussaka levy that will raise funds to bail out the Greek economy.

« Reply #459 on: 20 October, 2011, 08:35:04 pm »
Alpkit have sent me a brand new Gamma. Fantastic. Would I go anywhere else ....no and bought a new one in between anyway. (tunnels are coming up)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #460 on: 24 October, 2011, 10:59:14 am »
I've just bought a couple of Bulb II lanterns from Alpkit - unfortunately, one of them appears to have a faulty power switch, so it's going back for replacement.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #461 on: 24 October, 2011, 11:13:31 am »
I've just bought a couple of Bulb II lanterns from Alpkit - unfortunately, one of them appears to have a faulty power switch, so it's going back for replacement.

You do know that you need to do a double press to switch them on.  This is a safety mechnisim to stop them switching on in your bag.  Try clicking the on button twice.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #462 on: 24 October, 2011, 11:19:27 am »

You do know that you need to do a double press to switch them on.  This is a safety mechnisim to stop them switching on in your bag.  Try clicking the on button twice.
I'm aware of that. In this particular case, however, the switch itself is at fault - it appears to be thoroughly jammed in 'pressed' position, so you can prod at it all you like and nothing will happen. The steady green LED is a bit of a giveaway too (on my working Bulb, it just blinks at you occasionally)

A minor annoyance, but Alpkit have a good reputation in the 'getting things sorted' stakes.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #463 on: 24 October, 2011, 11:23:59 am »

I'm aware of that. In this particular case, however, the switch itself is at fault - it appears to be thoroughly jammed in 'pressed' position, so you can prod at it all you like and nothing will happen. The steady green LED is a bit of a giveaway too (on my working Bulb, it just blinks at you occasionally)

A minor annoyance, but Alpkit have a good reputation in the 'getting things sorted' stakes.

Just though I'd check.  They will sort it out though.

« Reply #464 on: 27 October, 2011, 09:07:58 pm »
Picked up a Rab storm bivi. Just got to get a lightweight mat now...
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #465 on: 27 October, 2011, 11:19:50 pm »
I was offered a new Hilleberg Nallo 3 for £275 so I jumped at it.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #466 on: 28 October, 2011, 07:32:27 am »
Bargain.
Getting there...

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #467 on: 28 October, 2011, 07:48:06 am »

You'd be crazy not to take a deal like that.

« Reply #468 on: 28 October, 2011, 08:20:22 am »
You lucky thing! :D

What a bargain 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #469 on: 28 October, 2011, 08:11:58 pm »
Alpkit base 120 to go with my new bivvy. Probably gonna be uncomfortable as hell but it's light and cheap!
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

LindaG

« Reply #470 on: 29 October, 2011, 08:43:55 pm »
My new waterproof Carradice rear panniers arrived yesterday.  They are capacious and shiny and utterly marvellous.  A bit of self-assembly and they'll be reet  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #471 on: 01 November, 2011, 04:48:00 pm »
not quite 'cause the bloke in the Outdoor Pusuits Co-Op in Stone suggested that instead of a bivvybag I have a sleeping bag cover such as

http://rab.uk.com/products/equipment/bivis/survival-zone.html

for use under a tarp since the bag cover is more breathable but less waterproof than a "proper" bivbag.

I'm  :-\

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #472 on: 02 November, 2011, 11:20:54 am »
Again, not quite, but my replacement Bulb II arrived from Alpkit this morning  :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #473 on: 02 November, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »
not quite 'cause the bloke in the Outdoor Pusuits Co-Op in Stone suggested that instead of a bivvybag I have a sleeping bag cover such as

for use under a tarp since the bag cover is more breathable but less waterproof than a "proper" bivbag.

You should just get yourself a Belgian army bivi bag from Military Mart - the only cost £6.50 and provide plenty protection for someone sleeping under a tarp. 

« Reply #474 on: 04 November, 2011, 12:43:46 pm »

It depends.

If you can guarantee that you will be lying on a waterproof mat, and that no drips will build up on the mat (erm, if rain blows under the tarp, you could end up with a pool of water on the mat), then he is right.

Having said that, I used to regularly camp with just a sleeping bag and a goretex bivvi bag, frequently with the bag zipped up. I never had a problem with condensation.
<i>Marmite slave</i>