Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332013 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #100 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:08:02 pm »
Audax bikes are just what used to be called fast tourers.  generally now, they have dual pivot brakes rather than cantilevers, but that shouldn't make much difference.  I suppose they aren't designed to be as stable under load as a full tourer, but I reckon most would be good for a couple of panniers, saddlebag, tent and barbag, if not front panniers.

I'd use an audax bike for touring, without hesitation.
Getting there...

« Reply #101 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:11:12 pm »
The reason I am so bothered about minimising weight isn't so much me cycling with it, but I am planning to do this on my Sabbath September ti audax bike that isn't a touring bike, although does have rack mounts and a 36 spoke rear wheel so should be fine for a light load. I have no plans to buy a touring bike at this point but would like the option of doing some very lightweight or credit card touring :)
But you are a wee slip. Think about the difference in weight between you and the other riders who might be out on a Sabbath September and you will see that you can carry pretty much what you like up to about 50 kgs :D.

Yeah I guess this does give me a bit of extra weight to play with, if the Sabbath is designed to be fine for someone 80kg then me plus 25kg of gear should in theory also be fine  ;D

I like the idea of getting stupidly lightweight gear though, just because I can  ;D

PH

« Reply #102 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:25:20 pm »
Here you go, from the September page on the Sabbath website;
Fitted with M5 pannier mounts which allow you to carry loads of upto 25kg, so the bike is just as useful for your commute to work as it is on a 200km audax.

25kg :hand:
I'm not suggesting that, but another three or four kg on your original list would buy you a lot of extra comfort, space and durability.

I like the idea of getting stupidly lightweight gear though, just because I can
Well yeah, there is that ;D

« Reply #103 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:49:41 pm »
I like the idea of getting stupidly lightweight gear though, just because I can  ;D

Jetboils are also available in titanium!  :D

« Reply #104 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:51:53 pm »

Jetboils are also available in titanium!  :D

Awesome and it's only 260g  :D

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #105 on: 07 April, 2011, 11:15:57 am »
The reason I am so bothered about minimising weight isn't so much me cycling with it, but I am planning to do this on my Sabbath September ti audax bike that isn't a touring bike, although does have rack mounts and a 36 spoke rear wheel so should be fine for a light load. I have no plans to buy a touring bike at this point but would like the option of doing some very lightweight or credit card touring :)

Well for credit card touring I think you'll be fine: once you remove the tent, sleeping bag, mat, stove, dried food and cookware it should be fairly easy to get the remainder in a wee saddlebag  :thumbsup:

« Reply #106 on: 07 April, 2011, 04:05:14 pm »
A solar light for 78p from Wilko.  Worth a punt at that price, even if it does turn out to be useless.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #107 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:31:54 am »
A solar light for 78p from Wilko.  Worth a punt at that price, even if it does turn out to be useless.
Does it only work when the sun's shining on it?

« Reply #108 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:33:27 am »
I don't think it's quite that useless ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #109 on: 11 April, 2011, 02:32:56 pm »
From the local Tesco, a 4 man (HA!) dome tent and a double and a single air bed.

They will only be used for Car camping, and inparticular for when we go to DeerShed in July.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #110 on: 12 April, 2011, 05:29:45 pm »
Whoops, I seem to have just bought a Honey Stove from backpackinglight.  Can't imagine how that happened.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #111 on: 12 April, 2011, 06:17:57 pm »
Whoops, I seem to have just bought a Honey Stove from backpackinglight.  Can't imagine how that happened.

What  ??? You too, the  same thing  happended to me !!
I have just Bought an Osprey Exos 46  backpack on discount  :smug:

« Reply #112 on: 12 April, 2011, 07:57:29 pm »
I also bought some random odds and sods from Backpackinglight, although not the Honey Stove, interesting though that is.

It did include a lightweight gas stove, and some feet for the gas canister, various storage containers, a candle lantern and some cord.

This managed to qualify for free shipping, which should be worrying!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #113 on: 12 April, 2011, 09:15:53 pm »

I'll start a thread once it arrives :D

« Reply #114 on: 12 April, 2011, 09:33:36 pm »

I liked the look of it, but wonder if most campsites would view it as essentially an open fire, and not be very keen on it.  You obviously can use it with a Trangia or Hexamine tablets, but that seems to kind of defeat the point of the stove.

« Reply #115 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:07:15 pm »
I plan to use it while wild camping, as it's a bit more subtle than an open fire - and obviously being able to use with other fuels is a boon, as it makes it very versatile. 

I've experimented a bit with hobo stoves, but this should do away with the faff of finding a suitable pot, or of carrying something so bulky around.  The honey stove packs up real small.  The gadgetiness is part of the fun, too ;D

I'll almost certainly carry another stove anyway - s'pose that reduces the lightweightness, but I imagine it being very useful when you run out of meths and the chandlery in Lochinver shuts at noon on a Saturday...

« Reply #116 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:23:17 pm »

I liked the look of it, but wonder if most campsites would view it as essentially an open fire, and not be very keen on it.  You obviously can use it with a Trangia or Hexamine tablets, but that seems to kind of defeat the point of the stove.

I think you'd get away with it on all sites that allow barbeques. It's not on the ground, burning the grass, is it?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #117 on: 12 April, 2011, 11:17:48 pm »
... The gadgetiness is part of the fun, too ;D ...

I can certainly see that, I watched the video, and was quite impressed by the way it goes together, and can be used. :thumbsup:

I think you'd get away with it on all sites that allow barbeques. It's not on the ground, burning the grass, is it?

Well, it's not far off.  Depending on whether you put it on something or not, it could get very hot under the stove.  Their video suggests using a couple of tin foil pie dishes flattened out and underneath it, which I guess would also help reflect the heat back up.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #118 on: 12 April, 2011, 11:41:09 pm »
... The gadgetiness is part of the fun, too ;D ...

I can certainly see that, I watched the video, and was quite impressed by the way it goes together, and can be used. :thumbsup:

"This is a multi-configuration item"

EeeeEEEeeeeEEEEeee!   ;D ;D ;D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #119 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:22:20 am »
A pie plate might help,  but I use a plumber's mat* under my stove anyway, which would certainly help.

* Not a plumber's mate.  That would be unfair and uncomfortable for the poor fellow.  Besides, the stove might tip over.
Getting there...

« Reply #120 on: 13 April, 2011, 10:15:58 am »
It's an excuse to buy some pies too!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #121 on: 13 April, 2011, 10:38:19 am »
Who needs excuses?

« Reply #122 on: 13 April, 2011, 02:31:46 pm »
Pies Pie tins purchased.  I do hope they're not too small, otherwise I might have to buy some bigger pies pie tins.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #123 on: 13 April, 2011, 02:35:06 pm »
I read that as tie pins, and was confused. :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #124 on: 13 April, 2011, 07:35:00 pm »
Went into Blacks for a mirror of all things. Suggested Superdrug mmmm.......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain