Author Topic: The Cambrian - Cambrian Minor - Welsh Marches  (Read 11470 times)

DanialW

The Cambrian - Cambrian Minor - Welsh Marches
« on: 21 February, 2010, 01:24:47 pm »
The Cambrian - 210km
Cambrian Minor - 160km
Welsh Marches - 120km

Saturday 10 April, Monkland Village Hall, Leominster

Entries are trickling in nicely for these events, three pleasingly scenic pootles into Wales. The 120km flirts along the border, taking the long climb up the Gospel Pass for some ace views over Powys and Herefordshire.

The Cambrian, meanwhile, almost reaches the coast, following an ever-hillier route out to Machynlleth, heading back the way you came.

Last year we had incredible luck with the weather. If you looked outside the village hall we used as a start, you could see a thick band of cloud, that stopped right above us. It stayed sunny all day.

Entry includes the usual colossal spread, before and after. If Mrs Jancey's up for helping, she'll do beans on toast for breakfast.

If you can't make that, I'll be riding all three routes* on the weekend of the 13th March if you want to join me.

----
*The 160 is actually just 160km of the 210km route.

----
edit - changed the day of the ride from Sunday to Saturday. oops!

DanialW

Re: The Cambrian - Cambrian Minor - Welsh Marches
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2010, 01:27:26 pm »
Oh, and I forgot to mention this will be the last time I run these events. I'm going to organise something a bit closer to home in 2011 instead.

So, if anyone fancies them, these events are ripe for taking over.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2010, 03:32:30 pm »
I've entered the Cambrian. First ride of an SR Cymru attempt this year  :thumbsup:

DanialW

« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2010, 07:12:56 pm »
Mr U N Dulates will be joining me for a recce of the 200 on 13 March. As he plans to ride the 120 on a tandem, I assume he won't be joining me for a recce of that the day later.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2010, 07:20:29 pm »
Minor point: I assume you mean Saturday 10th?

I've been pondering doing the 200 for the last few days, in the interests of increasing the mean lumpiness of my rides this year.  Also keen to ride something in Wales, and this does look lovely...  Decisions, decisions...

Edit: entered!  Now I just need to persuade the Travelodge site to stop crashing my browser...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

DanialW

« Reply #5 on: 22 February, 2010, 08:50:11 pm »
Minor point: I assume you mean Saturday 10th?

Ah, yes. Oops. Well spotted!

Cheers for the entry too!  :thumbsup:

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:45:38 am »
Let's bump this back up top seeing as this is my next 200 (plus I'll be absent from t'internet for a couple of weeks...) - anyone else signed up for this?

If any of the SW/Bristol contingent wants a lift and is taking the 'VFM' approach to riding then feel free to drop me a line as I'll be driving up early hours on the day. I will be taking it very easy as a bout of illness has knocked any semblance of speed out of me and I'm down to do the LVIS 100km audax in Brizzle the next day..
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

DanialW

« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2011, 01:19:02 pm »
Cyclone tells me he already has a decent field for The Cambrian and Welsh Marches. I'm not surprised, because The Cambrian is a fantastic ride. Tough, but definitely worth the effort. Cyclone's a good chap too and is working his socks off to get his first audax right. I hope you'll repay his efforts by putting an entry in.

« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2011, 01:38:16 pm »
Are these the same ones that are listed as 26 march on the calendar page? Ah just seen that the first posts are from last year! I've entered!

DanialW

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2011, 04:48:50 pm »
They are. Nice once!

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #10 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:25:24 pm »
Useful to match the username to the person - I think I've bumped into Yan on a couple of rides so far this season.

I've been wanting to do this ride ever since I first joined AUK three years ago, probably after reading a ride report and seeing photos that you posted up, this is the first time I've not been a winter couch potato though and I'm confident of actually finishing for a change...
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #11 on: 05 March, 2011, 03:02:44 pm »
Looking forward to the ride, just trying to calm down on the beers so I less lard to haul around

« Reply #12 on: 05 March, 2011, 11:31:32 pm »
Don't worry! - the lard will be eaten by them hills..... :demon:

On a more serious note, the route sheets should be with you next week. The start has changed from last year - starting from Eardisland Village Hall which mean that the events should be slightly shorter, but not enough to change the classifications... ;D Oh yeah, climbing the same  :thumbsup:

Yes Graham I've been trying to work out who you are too......Its been a bit cold this season so far for yacf short sleeve tops....shoulda bought a yacf buff... :facepalm:

Entries still open, using the on-line entry seems to make it easier from my perspective if a little suprising at times (can you tell its my first organised event  ;))

Chris S

« Reply #13 on: 08 March, 2011, 07:52:59 am »
I may have inadvertently entered the Cambrian Minor.

Having just completed the Spring in the Peak 100 on a 68" gear without dying, and noting that the minimum speed on the Minor is 10kph, would any of the fixer fraternity here care to comment on whether I should gear down? I'm inclined to keep it the same, but I'll gear down if the climbing is of the fierce variety rather than the longer and gentler variety.

This will be my first time cycling in Wales. I have no idea what to expect. Except rain.

DanialW

« Reply #14 on: 08 March, 2011, 08:09:28 am »
The thing is with this route is that it gets hillier as you head to Machynlleth. However there is no pattern to the climbing. There are sharp nasties and some long drags. There are sharp nasties at the end of long drags. You miss the biggest, steepest climb by not doing the full ride, but I'd still prepare for a couple of Peak District style stinkers.

Chris S

« Reply #15 on: 08 March, 2011, 08:13:04 am »
Awesome, thanks Danial. Sounds like the climb from Ladybower to Ringinglow (long drag with two embedded nasties) last week was perfect prep!

Chris N

« Reply #16 on: 08 March, 2011, 08:26:35 am »
63" got me to Llanidloes without walking a couple of years ago.  Worst bits, IIRC, were between Llanbister and Llanidloes.  Llani-Mach-Llani was a whole different story. :facepalm:

« Reply #17 on: 08 March, 2011, 08:51:00 am »
Isn't it just!  :demon:

« Reply #18 on: 08 March, 2011, 12:36:30 pm »

Excellent. Can I come too?

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 08 March, 2011, 02:11:17 pm »

As long as you don't laugh at me.

« Reply #20 on: 08 March, 2011, 02:36:05 pm »

As long as you don't laugh at me.
As if! It's hard to laugh when you've left your lungs on the roadside. I reserve the right to snigger though.

« Reply #21 on: 08 March, 2011, 02:42:42 pm »
Just remember as you're going along you come back the same way!  :-X

Should have the route sheets to you in a couple of days  ;D

border-rider

« Reply #22 on: 08 March, 2011, 07:23:16 pm »
Tempted...this or the Dic Penderyn...both about the same distance from home.

Rollapaluza Bag Boy

« Reply #23 on: 10 March, 2011, 07:12:34 pm »
The Rollapaluza Bag Boy is in travel up from the westcountry with a retrun for another event the next day

« Reply #24 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:31:10 pm »
Barrys ??  ;)