Author Topic: The Cambrian Classic  (Read 25801 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: The Cambrian Classic - 21st March 2015
« Reply #25 on: 14 January, 2015, 08:43:58 am »
Yeah! wot you worried about James ? As long as you don't meet any talking camper vans you'll be alright.

If you ride it with me anywhere near, you'll look positively stylish.

« Reply #26 on: 14 January, 2015, 01:09:58 pm »
The anticipation of looking positively stylish has forced me to push the button  :o

----and what am I worried about ?? difference between riding on  a nice warm sunny Pyrenean afternoon, fortified by a good lunch and a beer  ;D ;D, and a cold wet windy Welsh day on the road worries me
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #27 on: 14 January, 2015, 02:40:45 pm »
Frigging love this ride, but doubt I'll make it this year. This is number one on the list of 'try and sneak that in too' in addition to the other PBP qualifiers.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #28 on: 14 January, 2015, 10:15:43 pm »
Looks cracking, I'm signed up for the minor.  I likes a few hills  :)

Chris S

« Reply #29 on: 14 January, 2015, 10:20:05 pm »
Looks cracking, I'm signed up for the minor.  I likes a few hills  :)

A few. Hehe. Hehe.  :D

« Reply #30 on: 15 January, 2015, 05:48:32 am »
Hello Peeps,

This is my favourite road in Wales (UK).  Jo likes it's as well :)

Did this ride the day after doing one of Gavin's famous rides from droitwich one Ovtober.  Mentioned to Gavin I was doing this ride the next day and he smiled.

Was really enjoying it until I decended to Mac' and suddenly realised that I had cycle back on the same route. .........sh1t  :-\.   Eventually got back to Leominster at 9 pm (same day).

The weather and views on this ride were out of this World and its worth doing the ride for the food in the Old oak cafe alone.

Also, did this ride with Phil W of the parish in 2013 and we had a great ride.

Be warned don't do this ride if it's wet and windy because you will get blown of the narrow mountain road  to Mac.

Must be the best AAA point  200 km ride in Wales.

Unfortunately, won't be doing the ride because I had a spinal injury in October and won't be riding this year.

Also, this road is on the John Hamiltons Wrekin to sea 300 km.

Joolz Mille Cymru, Pengwern and Welsh SR veteran

« Reply #31 on: 23 February, 2015, 11:22:04 pm »
Feb Update;

Only a few weeks to go till the majesty of the Cambrian mountains in spring (it's spring in March right!?) returns to the AUK calendar!

The Welsh Marches 84km has been route checked and finalised, https://www.strava.com/activities/252074135 Riders can expect a fantastic little route, with abundant vistas inc. Clee Hill. Which showcases some of the Shire villages and scenery at their best. New Tarmac on the lane through Burrington and on the climb out of Kinsham (BCM riders take note!) more than compensate for the weathered surfaces up over the Goggin.  Our hosts have been forewarned and are looking forward to our arrival! Extra cake has been recommended!

We're waiting for a decent weather window to complete the route check of the longer Cambrian and Minor routes. But all controller positions have easily been filled with the bribe of free cake!

A big thank you to all the entries we've had so far! A varied mix of AUK veterans and relative newcomers from far and wide! Confirms my suspicion about the popularity of these routes!

Entries will remain open till 5pm on 20th March, OR until we're full.

Roll up, roll up!

The Orgs

« Reply #32 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:05:49 am »
Cambrian mountains in spring (it's spring in March right!?)

It might be but be prepared for a potential huge difference in weather between Leominster and top of roads around Staylittle !!!

I hope it is a lovely warm and sunny March day though ;D----winter seems to be dragging a bit, as more wintry showers rattle down the Radnor Valley on an icy NW wind ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #33 on: 24 February, 2015, 01:40:12 pm »
I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me for a leisurely tool around a Cambrian 200 or 300 perm, as a warm up on the Friday before the ride?

« Reply #34 on: 24 February, 2015, 01:49:10 pm »
I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me for a leisurely tool around a Cambrian 200 or 300 perm, as a warm up on the Friday before the ride?

200 would be possible-- I have `to be used` 2J but this duplicates a section Cambrian (ie the mach bit)---not a 300 though as I`m losing fitness / etc ---2A maybe? Start @ Hay

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #35 on: 24 February, 2015, 02:13:11 pm »
I've got a 2A and a 2B card that really should be used.

So 2A from Hay at a leisurely pace sounds like a goodly plan.

« Reply #36 on: 24 February, 2015, 02:20:07 pm »

OK I will order ordered now--- a 2A card from the excellent Mr Bezant for its useage on the expedition :)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #37 on: 24 February, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »

OK I will order ordered now--- a 2A card from the excellent Mr Bezant for its useage on the expedition :)

That's sorted then. :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #38 on: 04 March, 2015, 04:59:13 pm »
Just been reappraising myself of the route - during some compile time, y'know, as you do.

As some may know - I'm a bit... well... I have issues when it comes to turning right on the tandem. Pfft - it's a thing... so what?

Then I remembered this: Clicky

:thumbsup:

Ah - I love a good walk  :)

ETA: Dammit - just noticed I had a VAM of 540 on that ride, on 71" Fixed. I was a lot fitter then...  :-\

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #39 on: 05 March, 2015, 06:38:37 am »

"We're doomed"

« Reply #40 on: 05 March, 2015, 12:39:14 pm »
We have 3 sets of brakes and we're not afraid to use them.

We are doomed, though.

« Reply #41 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:19:22 pm »
I'm in :)

Will there be vegan food options at the controls or do I need to bring my own supplies? 
Does not play well with others

« Reply #42 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:29:44 pm »
IIRC the cafe in Llandiloes is all vegetarian and largely vegan (and lovely).

ETA: http://llanidloes.com/great_oak_cafe/index.html

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #43 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:57:56 pm »
PAC and I have both managed to get the Friday off work and are riding to Leominster on the Friday, event on Saturday and ride home on Sunday. Wonder if we will end up getting the train back on Sunday?

It is a bit early in the year for this type of weekend. Lets hope we make it round  :thumbsup:

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #44 on: 09 March, 2015, 02:05:37 pm »

:thumbsup:  Oooh I love the Oak, that'll get me round!

Chris N

« Reply #45 on: 09 March, 2015, 02:16:13 pm »
I'm in :)

Will there be vegan food options at the controls or do I need to bring my own supplies?

If the Quarry Cafe in Mach is open (and I think it has reopened after closing briefly a couple of years ago) you'll be able to get something there, otherwise try Dyfi Wholefoods a little further along Maengwyn Street.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #46 on: 09 March, 2015, 09:52:24 pm »

What would Teethgrinder think. Neither of his two main food groups sausages and pies  :o

What would TG order  ???

Steve
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #47 on: 10 March, 2015, 05:37:38 pm »

Officially the most veggie/vegan friendly ride on the entire calendar thanks to the cafe's used (and other options available in Mach if desired!).
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #48 on: 11 March, 2015, 02:37:39 pm »

Officially the most veggie/vegan friendly ride on the entire calendar thanks to the cafe's used (and other options available in Mach if desired!).

Oh goody - audaxes where I get fatter are just my cup of tea  ;D :thumbsup:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #49 on: 11 March, 2015, 04:57:09 pm »

Oh goody - audaxes where I get fatter are just my cup of tea  ;D :thumbsup:

Me too, maybe all that lard will slow you down a bit.