Author Topic: The Cambrian Classic  (Read 25798 times)

The Cambrian Classic
« on: 12 January, 2015, 07:04:14 pm »
Welcome to The Cambrian Audax, a classic and challenging event, starting from Herefordshire and heading west across the Cambrian Mountains then back.  Stunning scenery, fantastic climbing and deserted Welsh roads await your cycling predilection.

This ride introduced me to the wider world of Audax in 2011, the terrain was tortuous but resistance was futile.  It fell on hard times and didn’t even make the calendar last year.  But, after encouragement from Philip Whiteman OTP and previous org Nige J. it returns revitalised for 2015! A classic never dies…

The Cambrian 210km

Revived and reinvigorated The Cambrian Classic Audax, a stunning 210km ride into Mid-Wales and back.  We have a new HQ in Leominster at Bridge Street Sports Centre to improve accessibility and transport links. Otherwise an unchanged route with controls at The Great Oak Café Llanidloes, Machynlleth and Llanidloes.  An arduous but breath-taking ride with stunning views of the Cambrian Mountains and reservoirs.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-260/

The Cambrian Minor 148km

A breath-taking ride to Llanidloes and back from Leominster with stunning views of the Cambrian Mountains. Using the same route as the 200km ride on quiet lanes and B-roads with easy navigation.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-449/

The Cambrian Welsh Marches 84km

A scenic and delightful day out exploring the quiet lanes of north Herefordshire and south Shropshire on an 84km audax event with two café controls at Little Brampton and Shobdon airfield.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-154/

Further info on the routes available at http://sites.google.com/site/thecambrianaudax/home and the thread from previous editions resides at, https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30064.0

Entries being taken now!

Cheers

Daryl

Re: The Cambrian Classic - 21st March 2015
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2015, 07:35:27 pm »
This is a fantastic route and I highly commend it to anyone.  It is also good training for Yr Elenydd which takes place a few weeks later.

Saying that, I cannot make the ride this year due to the lack of an exit visa (wife's birthday).

PS. Dear Mr Cambrian, don't forget to advertise this event on the AUK Facebook Group.  If you are not a member, would you like me to list it as an event on that webpage?
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:01:04 pm »
I echo the 'awesome ride' comments.

Entry is under discussion. It's not exactly tandem friendly, not for fat flatlanders, anyway.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:14:13 pm »
Entry is under discussion. It's not exactly tandem friendly, not for fat flatlanders, anyway.

Something of a challenge on fixed too  :o :sick:

Great ride though. I will if you will  :demon:.

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:41:15 pm »
It is in my "tentative" list.  Whether an entry is sent in or not depends on how the weather develops as the days lengthen. 

My past experience suggests March can be a bit touch and go, depending on where the wind is turning from (Northerlies and those beautiful Welsh climbs will be akin to ski slopes, which make for great stories of derring-do).  A fair few of my past seasons have had strategic pauses whilst the March snow and ice melt away.

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2015, 06:04:12 am »
It is in my "tentative" list.  Whether an entry is sent in or not depends on how the weather develops as the days lengthen. 

My past experience suggests March can be a bit touch and go, depending on where the wind is turning from (Northerlies and those beautiful Welsh climbs will be akin to ski slopes, which make for great stories of derring-do).  A fair few of my past seasons have had strategic pauses whilst the March snow and ice melt away.

Riding in March 2013 would have been fun  ::-)

@ 500m summit above Machynlleth the mountain road can be very cold and windy even in summer let alone winter / spring ; however it does attract a good number AAA points and is very local to me so an entry nearer the day is a distinct possibility, maybe
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2015, 07:52:38 am »
AAA points are sometimes not worth risking A&E points for. 

It's an event I've wanted to do for a while though, so hopefully the weather sticks at "windy and wet" as that's more manageable with the right clothing choices.  The hills it traverses are mighty purty.

« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2015, 08:23:16 am »
---even `wet and windy` on that road can get you A&E AAA  points though !

Did a 100km DIY-AAA involving it last `summer---` so windy that a motorcyclist ahead was blown over and on descent (just below memorial ) I was blown right across width of road. I did get AAA points but fortunately not A&E ones also  ;D

In fact I don`t recall ever having ridden that road in pleasant conditions ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2015, 09:16:34 am »
I don't think I've ridden over that hilly bit in the middle before, so I guess it'd be rude to pass on the opportunity.

I've got the odd feeling I may be suffering a little in 2015, especially with the big pile of perm cards in my collection.

« Reply #9 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:20:28 am »
I don't think I've ridden over that hilly bit in the middle before, so I guess it'd be rude to pass on the opportunity.

I've got the odd feeling I may be suffering a little in 2015, especially with the big pile of perm cards in my collection.

Wot  :o an experienced die hard like thee not having enjoyed the pleasant rolling ups and downs between Llanidlloes> Staylittle > Machynlleth---you`ve not lived ::-) You will certainly have an `experience` ;D

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:43:31 am »
I've got a suspicion that that particular bit of road is going to be a bit of a regular feature this year, having now looked at the list of perms I've got lined up.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #11 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:48:34 am »
Llanidloes Staylittle Machynlleth is ok, but the opposite way is a crippler.

hillbilly

« Reply #12 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:55:52 am »
I've got a suspicion that that particular bit of road is going to be a bit of a regular feature this year, having now looked at the list of perms I've got lined up.

I find mixing Wales up with trips to the Pennines can relieve the sense of deja vu. 

Andy Corless has a series perms (and calendar events, particularly the Pendle)  that adequately satisfies grimping needs.  And Steve Snook's 200 perm is one of the nicest routes in the UK, breathtaking on the way up the climbs and also at the top as you take in the views.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #13 on: 13 January, 2015, 12:02:38 pm »
Well, funny you should mention  :o The Pendle :o. I accidentally pushed the button on that as well. ::-)

hillbilly

« Reply #14 on: 13 January, 2015, 01:34:49 pm »
The Pendle is fun.  It has some of the most brutal climbing on any event in the UK.  But also cuts a swathe through some of the nicest parts of the UK.  It is beauty and the beast:  one for the connoisseurs who like to lace their premier cru Bordeaux with meths.

« Reply #15 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:47:10 pm »
Llanidloes Staylittle Machynlleth is ok, but the opposite way is a crippler.

I`ve never had that privilege / sufferfest and avoided the up from Mach at all costs ::-)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #16 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:55:32 pm »
So I guess it's best not to have a whopping great Fish 'n' Chip lunch with a few pints of fizzy tea at Machynlleth on this one then ?

Chris S

« Reply #17 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:57:32 pm »
So I guess it's best not to have a whopping great Fish 'n' Chip lunch with a few pints of fizzy tea at Machynlleth on this one then ?

Plenty of places on the mountain road to pause and study the verge ;)

« Reply #18 on: 13 January, 2015, 03:08:06 pm »
depends how close you want the kites to hover...

« Reply #19 on: 13 January, 2015, 03:17:16 pm »

I think you need also discuss this proposal with some of the partakers on Brev Cymru of such delights before big climb out of Newquay  :sick: :sick:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #20 on: 13 January, 2015, 04:48:52 pm »
OK, button pushed and I'm up for a laugh..........I bet that hill isn't as bad as you're all making out and you're just pulling my leg.

« Reply #21 on: 13 January, 2015, 04:59:06 pm »
OK, button pushed and I'm up for a laugh..........I bet that hill isn't as bad as you're all making out and you're just pulling my leg.

it`s steady, nice 1km section @10% and top is steep too  --see http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Rhiw-Fawr&MountainID=7564

edit--just remembered paid for a trip that involved this   http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Superbagn%E8res&qryMountainID=7160   so what am I worrying about, the Mach hill is less than half !!! ::-) ::-)

hillbilly

« Reply #22 on: 13 January, 2015, 05:19:22 pm »
I think that climb might have been on John Hamilton's "Wrekin to the Sea" 300k event (which became the Heart of Wales).  If it is the one I am thinking of, a camper van offered me a lift to the top - they clearly thought I was deserving of pity being so cruelly treated by gravity.

« Reply #23 on: 13 January, 2015, 08:42:15 pm »
Why is it, there are always more hills on the way back than way out along the linear 200 route?  It must be down to psychology rather than topography.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #24 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:33:48 pm »
Looks like I'm in. Possibly a candidate for lantern rouge.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.